How much of a role did the US play in the ending of World War I?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:15:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  How much of a role did the US play in the ending of World War I?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How much of a role did the US play in the ending of World War I?  (Read 197 times)
Obama24
Rookie
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2024, 04:29:23 AM »

By which I mean more specifically, how important was our entry to the victory?

Would Germany have still surrendered around the end of 1918 had we not gotten involved?

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 06:49:41 PM »

Didn't you take COVID over to Europe and wipe everyone out ....then blamed it on Spain?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:23:20 AM »

I highly recommend the documentary (free on YouTube) The Great War in Numbers.  Too many people let the obvious fact that other European Allied nations sacrificed so much more cloud the fact that the entry of the United States was an incredibly decisive blow to the Central Powers, ending the war by the end of 1918.  The documentary displays the change in momentum quite well, including quotes from French and British generals who speak to how essential a massive influx of fresh American troops were.  One French general on the frontlines while defending his strategy of retreating to the German onslaught even said (paraphrasing here), "I am waiting for the Americans."

Did Americans "win" World War I?  Of course not ... the French and British could have defeated Germany eventually on the Western Front.  However, the US absolutely played a huge role in ENDING World War I as it ended, and they were also essential in getting Germany to straight-up surrender in the way they did, including having the leverage necessary to force the dismantling of the autocratic governments of the Central Powers.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:58:25 PM »

It brought matters to a conclusion faster than would otherwise have been the case (six months? A year?) and so saved a considerable number of lives, both on the Western Front and also in Germany where the impact of the blockade on the civilian population was considerable. By the time the American reinforcements actually arrived, the lunatic gamble that was the Ludendorff Offensive was already being pushed back and from that defeat there could be no recovery, but there's a reason why it was launched when it was in the first place.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: Today at 03:10:58 PM »

It brought matters to a conclusion faster than would otherwise have been the case (six months? A year?) and so saved a considerable number of lives, both on the Western Front and also in Germany where the impact of the blockade on the civilian population was considerable. By the time the American reinforcements actually arrived, the lunatic gamble that was the Ludendorff Offensive was already being pushed back and from that defeat there could be no recovery, but there's a reason why it was launched when it was in the first place.

Agreed, as my understanding of the offensive was always that it was a desperately rushed move to try to deliver a knockout blow before American troops arrived in Europe in serious numbers.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies