2000 Los Angeles County census tract white percentages and income maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:50:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2000 Los Angeles County census tract white percentages and income maps
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2000 Los Angeles County census tract white percentages and income maps  (Read 2652 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
« edited: August 01, 2010, 11:53:43 AM by Torie »

As one can see, the money rolls down to the beach or up to the hills almost invariably with very few exceptions. It is just like the island of Oahu. The discrepancies between areas with high white percentages, and relatively high income, are almost always due to the presence of high income Asians (such as in Palos Verdes and bits of the San Gabriel Valley), or high income blacks in Baldwin Hills and Ladera Heights. Higher income Hispanics tend not to aggregate in any particular place.

Addendum: And here is the same thing for Orange County. The map is less interesting, with Asians expanding the high income green zone vis a vis whites in Irvine, and bits of Lake Forest, and somewhat lower income whites decreasing it, along areas near the beach north of Newport Beach, and south of Laguna Niguel, in Dana Point and San Clemente, and in and around the city of Orange it appears. Orange County may have a higher percentage of lower income whites than LA County as of 2000 perhaps.

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:31:42 PM »

Kind of off-topic, but how do you get those maps on the census website? I can never figure out how to work out their maps by census tract for various stats on there.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 06:57:48 PM »

Very interesting. I didn't know Southwestern LA County was that white and wealthy.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 07:05:23 PM »

Kind of off-topic, but how do you get those maps on the census website? I can never figure out how to work out their maps by census tract for various stats on there.

Start here, pick your data set, and choose the thematic maps option. If you have any more questions, as you scroll through the protocol for creating a particular map of a particular data set, let me know.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 07:46:07 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2010, 11:23:49 PM by Torie »

Very interesting. I didn't know Southwestern LA County was that white and wealthy.

Welcome to the Palos Verdes peninsula, where the hills meet the sea affording topography, sea views, and clean and cool air. Now granted the pic is in a gated community, so google and the like have not been able to drive along its streets creating photographs. However you can take a drive of the more plebeian ungated sections here.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 10:09:33 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2010, 10:28:52 PM by memphis »

That's awesome! I didn't know all these thematic maps were available. Check out the white flight on the NE (Raliegh) and SE (Hickory Hill) sides of town from 1990 to 2000. Meanwhile the far ends of the county have become uber-white as they shift from rural to exurban. The money tends to live along Highway 72 (Poplar Ave)
Legend: Percent white
1990:
2000:
Wish I had the 2010 data. It'd be a continuation of the same for sure.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 02:23:05 AM »

Memphis (the poster), is there white flight to DeSoto County, MS from Memphis as well, or is the growth there coming from a different source? It borders the white and yellows area on your map, so there must be a big change once you cross the state line.

Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 02:26:05 AM »

I'm in the dark green area.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 09:40:27 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2010, 02:43:23 PM by memphis »

Memphis (the poster), is there white flight to DeSoto County, MS from Memphis as well, or is the growth there coming from a different source? It borders the white and yellows area on your map, so there must be a big change once you cross the state line.

Yeah, plenty of flight to DeSoto as well. I really don't get it as the areas in TN it's next to aren't nice at all ( as you can see from the map). To me the whole point of living in suburbia is being far away from bad neighborhoods. DeSoto suburbia is also different from Shelby suburbia in that it's less "country club" and more "deer hunting." Trying really hard not to bust out the r-word.
There are also a lot of rurals in DeSoto who have moved to Memphis for jobs/opportunities, but don't want to live "in" Memphis.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 10:02:41 PM »

Yeah, plenty of flight to DeSoto as well. I really don't get it as the areas in TN it's next to aren't nice at all ( as you can see from the map). To me the whole point of living in suburbia is being far away from bad neighborhoods. DeSoto suburbia is also different from Shelby suburbia in that it's less "country club" and more "deer hunting." Trying really hard not to bust out the r-word.
There are also a lot of rurals in DeSoto who have moved to Memphis for jobs/opportunities, but don't want to live "in" Memphis.

That would explain DeSoto's recent voting history. Also, I imagine the wealthier Shelby County residents don't want to have a Mississippi address (no offense Harry)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 11:14:37 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2010, 11:38:31 PM by memphis »

That would explain DeSoto's recent voting history. Also, I imagine the wealthier Shelby County residents don't want to have a Mississippi address (no offense Harry)
Voting patterns in DeSoto are exactly the same as in Shelby.  Just about all blacks are dems and whites are very heavily GOP. DeSoto is definately not a "prestige" locale, though Hernando and Olive Branch are noticably nicer than Southaven and especially Horn Lake. People move to DeSoto because the schools are good, you can have a huge house for under 200k, and it has a country culture that appeals to some people. In contrast, if you want an impressive address and better access to business and culture, you want to live somewhere off Poplar Ave (Hwy 72), with a couple of exceptions close to downtown.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies