Is the "middle ground fallacy" a logical fallacy? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:13:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is the "middle ground fallacy" a logical fallacy? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is the "middle ground fallacy" a logical fallacy?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: Is the "middle ground fallacy" a logical fallacy?  (Read 8850 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: August 03, 2010, 03:00:06 PM »

Yes, it's an informal logical fallacy. There's nothing inherently better about a middle ground - in some cases it might be worse than the two extremes that it meets between.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 04:00:28 PM »

Yes, it's an informal logical fallacy. There's nothing inherently better about a middle ground - in some cases it might be worse than the two extremes that it meets between.

Does that really make it a logical fallacy though? Especially since it seems context-bound. I imagine there could be contexts where the middle ground is better by virtue of being middle ground (such as when reaching a compromise, for instance).

It is true that being the middle ground is typically not a good argument for a position, I guess, but is it on the level of logical fallacy? If someone does think that it is a good argument is he more illogical than someone who has some other stupid argument for a position?

Yes it is a logical fallacy, but as I said it's an informal one. The distinction is that it's fallacious for reasons other than the form or technical structure of the argument. The reasoning behind a formal fallacy is always wrong - the logical structure of the argument renders it invalid. An informal fallacy on the other hand can have a valid logical structure, but may be based on false premises or a bad justification structure.

In the case of the middle ground fallacy it has the premise that the middle ground between two or more positions is always better than the two positions. The logic is sound if the premise it is based on is correct. Since it can be shown that there are cases where the middle ground isn't better than one or more of the positions the premise is false, thus making it an informal logical fallacy.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 07:02:42 AM »

Is informal logical fallacy a common term? What you refer to as a formal logical fallacy is just a logical fallacy to me. I thought an informal one would be one where premises don't match exactly to another or something like that.

I always thought a false premise was just a false premise, so to speak.

I would not say it's a term people use often, so it's not common in that sense. However it is one of the two primary categories in which logical fallacies will fall.

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/taxonomy.html

And a false premise is a false premise. It just happens that if you use one it a logical argument it makes the argument a logical fallacy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies