Popular governor, small state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:51:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Popular governor, small state
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Popular governor, small state  (Read 807 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2010, 09:39:50 PM »

http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/blog/

A couple years ago, upon the selection of Sarah Palin as vice-presidential nominee, I made some graphs of the popularity of governors of different-sized states:

It seems to be easier to maintain high approval in a small state.

What's going on?

Some theories: in a large state, there will be more ambitious politicians on the other side, eager to knock off the incumbent governor; small states often have part-time legislatures and thus the governor is involved in less political conflict; small states (notably Alaska) tend to get more funds per capita from the federal government, and it's easier to be popular when you can disburse more funds; large states tend to be more heterogeneous and so it's harder to keep all the voters happy.

There's lots of variation--clearly there are many other factors than state population that predict governors' popularity--but we continue to see more the more popular governors in smaller states.

The problem also calls out for some regression analysis to compare for factors other than state size. We haven't done a lot here, but we did regress governors' approval on two variables:
- log (state population),
- percent change in average personal income in the state in the past year.
Here's what we found:

> display (lm (popularity ~ c.log.statepop + c.income.change))
coef.est coef.se
(Intercept) 48.57 2.15
c.log.statepop -6.10 2.26
c.income.change 2.44 1.68

According to these results, governors of large states are still less popular than governors of small states, on average, even after controlling for recent economic performance. (We also tried a regression including the interaction of these two predictors, but I won't bother showing it: the coefficient of the interaction was small and the other coefficients were essentially unchanged.) It's possible that we didn't use the best economic variables, but, for now, I'd say that the evidence is pretty clear that it's tougher being a governor of a large state.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:56:44 PM »

Not sure that they controlled for enough variables. I would add economic inequality, ethnic diversity, and percentage urban. However, you can say that perhaps, there is a psychological factor independent of any objective factors-- that is, perhaps people who live in small states feel more special about their state than people who live in large states and so are more likely to approve. The same might be said for states that are very distant from any major metropolitan area ,which tend to be small states.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 05:07:28 AM »

Media market locations could also play a factor; I've heard it as an explanation before relating to why New Jersey always gives horrible approvals for everybody- I notice Delaware also has low approvals compared to other states its size, and it's in a media market situation just like NJ. Don't know how you could quantify such a thing, though.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:10:17 PM »

Media market locations could also play a factor; I've heard it as an explanation before relating to why New Jersey always gives horrible approvals for everybody- I notice Delaware also has low approvals compared to other states its size, and it's in a media market situation just like NJ. Don't know how you could quantify such a thing, though.

Thats a good theory. It may explain why Jodi Rell has always had undeservedly high approval ratings, we're split between the NYC and Boston media markets, neither of which covers us at all, and the local stations don't have much impact.

What media market is Delaware in? I suppose Philadelphia but it could be Baltimore too.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 06:12:51 AM »

Major air hub locations could also play a factor: I've heard it as an explanation before relating to, well, everything really.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 01:05:01 AM »

Small states benefit and large states get screwed by the undemocratic Senate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies