Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 01:19:46 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Constitution and Law (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  Supreme Court and the Individual Health Insurance Mandate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Supreme Court and the Individual Health Insurance Mandate  (Read 20305 times)
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2010, 06:58:27 pm »
Ignore

Once the case reaches the Supreme Court, how do you think it will rule on the mandate?  Will it uphold or strike it down?  

True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 11:31:43 pm »

If it is upheld, it will have to be as an exercise of the taxing power. While I expect the Supreme Court would find that health insurance is Interstate Commerce (Indeed when it comes to how the Court views the Commerce Clause, the word Interstate has effectively been rendered irrelevant), I can't see any power under the Commerce Clause that could be used to compel people to engage in Commerce if they don't want to.

My ballot:
Haley(R) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D/Working Families) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
TBD: Lex 1 School Board
Yes: Am. 1 (allow charity raffles)
No: Am. 2 (end election of the Adj. General)
No: Local Sales Tax
Yes: Temp Beer/Wine Permits
CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 02:39:51 am »
Ignore

If it is upheld, it will have to be as an exercise of the taxing power. While I expect the Supreme Court would find that health insurance is Interstate Commerce (Indeed when it comes to how the Court views the Commerce Clause, the word Interstate has effectively been rendered irrelevant), I can't see any power under the Commerce Clause that could be used to compel people to engage in Commerce if they don't want to.

A pretty good analysis.

However, what is most interesting is that the bill does NOT include a 'severability' clause!

Registered in Arizona for Fantasy election purposes.
Linus Van Pelt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 03:28:16 pm »
Ignore

A federal judge in Michigan just now upheld this year's health care legislation in the first significant challenge to its constitutionality.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1010/Michigan_judge_upholds_health_care_law.html?showall

No doubt there will be many such stories, though on the off chance that some judge somewhere throws out some part of it, we will hear way more about that case than all the rest...

Resident Al Salsano griped that the wine bar has a limited food menu and attracts people who use it as a place for dates after meeting online.

"I have seen people say, ‘I met you on the Internet,’ and you’re putting that on the sidewalk?" he said incredulously. "I don’t want children walking near 'Internet people' meeting."
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 02:37:32 am »
Ignore

Clinton appointee

Heh

Free Bradley Manning
angus
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 08:17:04 pm »
Ignore

health-care reform survives its first constitutional challenge

Some would say, "sad, but true," but I have long argued that the congress should not allow the courts and the executive branch to usurp its authority, as those branches have been doing for over two hundred years.  When I read this story earlier today on-line, I was glad.  Not that I'm in favor of the bill, but if we're going to be rid of this monstrous piece of legislation, we need to do it using the democratic process, by removing the elected officials who made it law and replacing them with folks will make laws superceding it or repealing it.  I'd like to see every one of these lawsuits go down in flames, and then to see those flames under the collective ass of the so-called "constitutionalist" faction of the voting public, motivating it to action.
Skill and Chance
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 12:47:42 am »
Ignore

I agree that is far better for conservatives to fight it in Congress.  Fighting it through the courts sends a questionable message (politicizing the judiciary).  The last thing they would need is a left wing equivalent of Roe v. Wade getting ~30% of the country permanently riled up against the right for the next generation.

Not to mention that a Supreme Court ruling that health insurance is not interstate commerce would be a signed invitation for some of the Democratic trifecta states to enact state-level single payer.  It probably wouldn't be a big deal on the national level if Vermont did this, but what about California or Massachusetts?   
??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 03:37:29 pm »
Ignore

Not to mention that a Supreme Court ruling that health insurance is not interstate commerce would be a signed invitation for some of the Democratic trifecta states to enact state-level single payer.  It probably wouldn't be a big deal on the national level if Vermont did this, but what about California or Massachusetts?   

Good, that's the way it SHOULD be.
Skill and Chance
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 04:22:13 pm »
Ignore

I have often wondered whether those most opposed to HCR would support the same program, or even something far to the left of it (like single payer) at the state level simply on federalist grounds.  You say yes.  The hope on the far left and the fear on the far right is that state level government health insurance will spread rapidly after a very influential state (like CA) adopts it.  What if there was a chain reaction through the states where 35 or 40 adopted single payer over 15 years and it became the de facto national health policy, which is basically what happened to the Canadian health care system in 1945-60?  Would you then regret leaving HCR completely up to the states?
??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 05:25:14 pm »
Ignore

No.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 10:15:07 pm »
Ignore

I have often wondered whether those most opposed to HCR would support the same program, or even something far to the left of it (like single payer) at the state level simply on federalist grounds.  You say yes.  The hope on the far left and the fear on the far right is that state level government health insurance will spread rapidly after a very influential state (like CA) adopts it.  What if there was a chain reaction through the states where 35 or 40 adopted single payer over 15 years and it became the de facto national health policy, which is basically what happened to the Canadian health care system in 1945-60?  Would you then regret leaving HCR completely up to the states?

I don't know if I'd really be opposed to HCR at the state level.

Free Bradley Manning
Skill and Chance
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 12:30:26 am »
Ignore

Should a state have the authority to make all doctors practicing within the state lines employees of the state government without any federal say?  Medical schools and their curricula/residency structure could change drastically, especially if it was CA or MA that did this.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 06:32:01 pm »
Ignore

Should a state have the authority to make all doctors practicing within the state lines employees of the state government without any federal say?  Medical schools and their curricula/residency structure could change drastically, especially if it was CA or MA that did this.

Yes

Free Bradley Manning
Skill and Chance
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 02:48:29 pm »
Ignore

Maybe you have a very different perspective, but if you take the question of whether the government has a responsibility to provide health care for its citizens to be a moral question, why would the answer depend on the geography of the government?  If you believe that the government has the authority to mandate universal health care,  why should it matter whether it's one township or a global representative democracy?  I could see opposition to the extreme case of a global government doing it based on the freedom to leave/vote with your feet, but even at the national level in the US or another liberal democracy, those who want to leave are free to travel/move internationally.     
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 07:43:04 pm »
Ignore

Maybe you have a very different perspective, but if you take the question of whether the government has a responsibility to provide health care for its citizens to be a moral question, why would the answer depend on the geography of the government?  If you believe that the government has the authority to mandate universal health care,  why should it matter whether it's one township or a global representative democracy?  I could see opposition to the extreme case of a global government doing it based on the freedom to leave/vote with your feet, but even at the national level in the US or another liberal democracy, those who want to leave are free to travel/move internationally.     

Because the federal government has no such Constitutional authority.  Go ahead and have an amendment passed, if you must.  The powers of the federal government are few and defined, but the powers of the state are vast and undefined.  That is what the law in this nation is, and it is wrong to twist it to accomplish a certain end.

Free Bradley Manning
Frink
Lafayette53
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 08:41:46 pm »
Ignore

Because the federal government has no such Constitutional authority.  Go ahead and have an amendment passed, if you must.  The powers of the federal government are few and defined, but the powers of the state are vast and undefined.  That is what the law in this nation is, and it is wrong to twist it to accomplish a certain end.

This hasn't really been valid since McCulloch v. Maryland.. Actually it wasn't really valid before that as the creation of the First Bank of the United States, for example, showed.

"Free speech is not to be regulated like diseased cattle and impure butter. The audience that hissed yesterday may applaud today, even for the same performance." - William O. Douglas
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 09:10:46 pm »
Ignore

This hasn't really been valid since McCulloch v. Maryland.. Actually it wasn't really valid before that as the creation of the First Bank of the United States, for example, showed.

So the federal government can grant itself new powers.  Nice.

Free Bradley Manning
Frink
Lafayette53
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 09:53:21 pm »
Ignore

Because the federal government has no such Constitutional authority.  Go ahead and have an amendment passed, if you must.  The powers of the federal government are few and defined, but the powers of the state are vast and undefined.  That is what the law in this nation is, and it is wrong to twist it to accomplish a certain end.

So the federal government can grant itself new powers.  Nice.

Well, yes it can. Who's going to stop them, exactly?

Both de jure and de facto, of course.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 09:55:43 pm by Foster »Logged

"Free speech is not to be regulated like diseased cattle and impure butter. The audience that hissed yesterday may applaud today, even for the same performance." - William O. Douglas
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 04:00:39 pm »
Ignore

Well, the judge in VA just ruled it unconstitutional.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
Skill and Chance
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 04:38:54 pm »
Ignore

And he severed the Individual Mandate from basically everything else in the bill.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 05:14:24 pm »
Ignore

And he severed the Individual Mandate from basically everything else in the bill.

Aww

Free Bradley Manning
CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 11:47:43 am »
Ignore

To clarify.

The original Senate bill was set up where there was a tax which was remitted if a person got acceptable health insurance.

The bill that was passed (enacted) provided for a penalty to those who failed to get acceptable health insurance (i.e. not a tax).

CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 05:45:13 pm »
Ignore

Update!

Judge strikes down healthcare reform law

By Tom Brown
MIAMI | Mon Jan 31, 2011

(Reuters) - A federal judge in Florida struck down President Barack Obama's landmark healthcare overhaul as unconstitutional on Monday, in the biggest legal challenge yet to federal authority to enact the law.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/31/us-usa-healthcare-ruling-idUSTRE70U6RY20110131?feedType=RSS&feedName=healthNews

Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 07:17:24 pm »
Ignore

Perhaps, although I would argue that the compulsion to engage in commerce is far more lenient and libertarian the compulsion to pay taxes. In the former, you are free to choose who to buy services from; in the latter, you are forced to buy services from the government. If the individual mandate is struck down, Social Security and Medicare ought to be struck down as well, for you are essentially being compelled in engage in commerce with the government under these programs.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 07:46:18 pm »
Ignore

As I posted earlier in another thread, the government's commerce clause argument is stupid, and thus doomed to fail. 

I've read through the taxing clause argument too, and I think the weight of precedent is pretty strongly on the side of it not being a tax.  Doesn't mean that can't change.

Which leaves the necessary and proper clause.  Which I think stands a reasonable shot.  Arguing it, though, probably means you're saying health care law is void if you're wrong.

Anyway, this decision today (as opposed to the VA one) will push it up to the SC quite quickly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout