Supreme Court and the Individual Health Insurance Mandate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:11:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Supreme Court and the Individual Health Insurance Mandate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Supreme Court and the Individual Health Insurance Mandate  (Read 49293 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: June 28, 2012, 11:24:35 AM »

You can see there is something wrong with this country when such an obvious and logical decision makes the headlines and is decided by a single vote.

Well...worse is that "Obamacare" is even considered a universal healthcare project to begin with.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:37:29 AM »

A win is a win

But now the GOP will argue that Obamacare is a "secret tax" and that Obama lied when he said it wasn't a tax, but now it is officially a tax.

This. 

Still, it is better politically than it being found totally unconstitutional.

A tax that his opponent supported. Before he opposed it.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:13:49 PM »

Which makes you even more of a misanthrope.

Worry about your own f[inks]ed up country.

For all the troubles Greece has, their healthcare isn't quite as (Inks)ed up.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »

Would that be the one that's debt free, open borders and they're own military defending that decent life? It can't be the one(s) that just where promised another bail out today.

But now we're changing the subject and talking about spending decisions and how they're financed.  I'm talking about the oft-expressed political sentiment in America that, if there is any one thing that ruins our lives, it's taxes.  I certainly understand that upward adjustment of tax rates makes things harder for businesses.  But I've had family members run businesses and worked in one of them when I was younger, and of the ones that failed, taxes, even when they were much higher than they are now, really weren't the death blow, not even close to it.  I'm saying that, once one factors everything in, Americans pay far less in taxes than most other citizens do in a vast majority of industrialized countries.  But we also seem to complain more bitterly about taxes than almost anyone else.     

Welfare has become a dirty word because it's too strongly need based, IMO. If only a small fraction of the population (regularly) uses state services (directly...obviously everyone uses them a lot more often than they think), then it turns into an us vs. them mentality.

In more universal welfare states, many people use the state healthcare, go to university for free tuition, etc., and less people mind paying taxes because they know everyone profits from a well run welfare state.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies