Is Anyone On This Forum Bothered By Michelle Obama's Vacation To Spain?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:03:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is Anyone On This Forum Bothered By Michelle Obama's Vacation To Spain?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Huh
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Is Anyone On This Forum Bothered By Michelle Obama's Vacation To Spain?  (Read 4758 times)
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2010, 01:58:07 PM »

I know she's getting attacked on the news for it, but I honestly don't see it as a big deal. Yes, she's vacationing on American taxpayer's money, but that money would've gone to the Obama family anyway (or am I wrong here?). Insofar as that money is the Obama family's earned money, I don't see what the big deal is. I haven't heard of Obama getting a raised salary, so it seems to me that they're just spending their own money the way they see fit, and I see nothing wrong with that. The attacks on Michelle Obama for her vacation seem partisan.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 04:20:36 PM »

I completely agree.

lol, in the short time I've been here I seem to be agreeing with you a lot. Tongue
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 04:30:20 PM »

Reminds me of Nancy Reagan circa 1982.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 04:44:30 PM »

I think it's ridiculous that anyone in the media would even care, let alone anyone else.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 05:05:54 PM »

I don't know if she used the taxpayers' money or her own money, but I honestly think that she is getting too much criticism for this. No one criticized Bush in 2001 (and further down the road) for taking long vacations at his ranch while the country was in a recession. This whole thing is way overrated. Kinda like when John Edwards got a $400 haircut. He had the money to get an expensive haircut, so he got one. I don't see what the big deal is.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 05:22:55 PM »

No one criticized Bush in 2001 (and further down the road) for taking long vacations at his ranch while the country was in a recession.

Uhh . . . yes they did, and quite a bit more than Michelle, which is why you even remember that.

Michelle is using taxpayer money - not from the President's very generous salary - to fly several jumbo jets into Spain with her large entourage, renting out every room in a five-star hotel.  That's behavior one would expect from the wife of a Caribbean or Middle Eastern dictator.  She only needs to "warmly" shake hands with la Señora to complete the picture.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 06:11:49 PM »

No one criticized Bush in 2001 (and further down the road) for taking long vacations at his ranch while the country was in a recession.

Uhh . . . yes they did, and quite a bit more than Michelle, which is why you even remember that.

Michelle is using taxpayer money - not from the President's very generous salary - to fly several jumbo jets into Spain with her large entourage, renting out every room in a five-star hotel.  That's behavior one would expect from the wife of a Caribbean or Middle Eastern dictator.  She only needs to "warmly" shake hands with la Señora to complete the picture.

It's not from Obama's salary? And it's not Obama's own money?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 06:16:33 PM »

No.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 06:20:01 PM »

Didn't Laura and one of the daughters go on some long safari to Africa?  This is done by all first families and the opposition or media always try to make a story out of it.  IMO, There is a lot more waste in Washington to be concerned about.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 06:30:57 PM »

Only if she didn't fly Southwest.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 06:36:05 PM »

I wouldn't wish that fate on Stalin.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 06:45:02 PM »

Nah, but if she was a Republican...grrr
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 06:46:24 PM »

No, of course not.  Black people have been in chains for 400 years, it's about time they have a little fun in the sun.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 06:54:02 PM »

No, of course not.  Black people have been in chains for 400 years, it's about time they have a little fun in the sun.
Shocked
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 07:46:57 PM »

I don't know if she used the taxpayers' money or her own money, but I honestly think that she is getting too much criticism for this. No one criticized Bush in 2001 (and further down the road) for taking long vacations at his ranch while the country was in a recession. This whole thing is way overrated. Kinda like when John Edwards got a $400 haircut. He had the money to get an expensive haircut, so he got one. I don't see what the big deal is.

Trips to the ranch were:

1.  Less expensive.

2.  In the US.

Some criticism is legitimate, but it is more of a PR problem. 
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 11:56:30 PM »

only because she probably won't pay a public visit to old CNT headquarters.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 01:59:09 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2010, 03:35:27 PM by opebo »

Trips to the ranch were:

1.  Less expensive.

2.  In the US

Only an idiot would waste holiday time at a ranch, or in the US.  Can you imagine?  You have time off and you want to sit on a hot patch of dusty scrub in Texas.  Well I suppose Bush had a sort of palace built there and supermodels were smuggled in for him to.. one can only assume.  Really, if our rulers live as they appear to, the whole system of abuse has no point - they don't actually appear to enjoy themselves much at all, as far as we know.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 02:55:08 PM »

Yeah, I am.

I found that clearing a beach just for her and daughters, with thousands of people around them several meters further watching them was kinda ridiculous.

Looked like a totally failed 'look, we go to beach like anybody'...

Other than that, can't say much.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 03:19:27 PM »

Hey, look, she can't fly commercial and I'm certain she wishes she could ditch the goon squad that tails her 24/7(god do they look like feds when they're in civilian clothes....lol) .

But the public is bothered because, she's a black,  you see, and it looks uppity.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 04:29:53 PM »

Hey, look, she can't fly commercial and I'm certain she wishes she could ditch the goon squad that tails her 24/7(god do they look like feds when they're in civilian clothes....lol) .

But the public is bothered because, she's a black,  you see, and it looks uppity.

She obviously can't vacation as a private person. 

I'm not bothered by it personally, but it looks like hell in the middle of a recession and when the Gulf is having such a hard time regarding tourism.  Politically, it is a minus.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 04:45:16 PM »

Trips to the ranch were:

1.  Less expensive.

2.  In the US.

Some criticism is legitimate, but it is more of a PR problem. 

Bush spent about 1/3 of his Presidency at his ranch, if I can recall correctly. That will probably be way more than Obama or his wife will spend on vacation in 8 years. Thus, even though staying at the ranch might be cheaper, the long amount of vacation time that Bush spent there might have cost more than all of Obama's vacation time will. I guess from a public perception it would have been better for Michelle Obama to stay in the U.S., but I still don't see the big deal of going to Europe for one short vacation.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 07:26:17 PM »

I think it was actually a mission to collect intelligence against Spanish terrorists. Why else would she have bought 40 of her "closest friends."
Who actually has that many "closest friends"?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 10:21:54 PM »

I mean, I certainly wish she would have found a cheaper alternative, but it's nothing I'm going to wet myself over.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 12:48:04 AM »

Does anyone find it funny that she went on vacation on her husbands birthday? What does that say about the two of them?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 12:54:26 AM »

Does anyone find it funny that she went on vacation on her husbands birthday? What does that say about the two of them?

That her husband is busy?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies