The latest in Mitch Daniels tea leaves
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:34:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The latest in Mitch Daniels tea leaves
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: The latest in Mitch Daniels tea leaves  (Read 10596 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2010, 04:33:55 AM »

Daniels is still playing coy about his future intentions.  If he's running for president, he's not doing it the way Tim Pawlenty is---jetting around the country non-stop, making numerous appearances in early primary states, and offering endorsements in GOP primaries across the country.

Here's the latest, from his interview on Fox News Sunday:

http://www.gop12.com/2010/08/i-have-turned-down-scads-of-invitations.html

Will he start visiting IA and NH?:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What would it take for him to run?

If he's running for president, he's doing it the Fred Thompson way.  At least for now.  Of course, the Fred Thompson way is doomed to fail if you keep it up too long.  In about 6 months, he'll have to decide whether to rule himself out for good, continue running the Fred Thompson way, or if he's going to run for president for real.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 07:25:20 AM »

The conventional wisdom is that a potential candidate can comfortably wait until the spring after the midterm elections before a real organization needs to form. The summer of that year is when key fundraising should take place and potential delegate slates should be assembled. McCain had enough early organization in 2007 that he was able to sustain an implosion of his campaign that summer and bounce back at the end of the year.
milhouse24
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 03:13:39 PM »

I think Mitch wants to be VP.  He doesn't have the big personality needed for a national presidential campaign.  I don't think anyone can outdo Fred Thompson with laziness and wasting campaign ineptitude.  Seriously, anyone who donated to him just paid for his trophy wifes jewelry.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 10:55:58 PM »

He might also be using the "Be competent, not visible" strategy for scoring a VP slot.  In other words, he's counting on his record as Governor (which has been rather successful) to carry him rather than his speaking skills.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:21:40 PM »

Daniels was a disaster on Chris Wallace's show according to people who watched it:

http://twitter.com/mattklewis/status/20628449454

http://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/20629102076
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 12:39:51 AM »

I agree. He looked aggravated.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 12:56:16 AM »

was this interview unusual for him? has he done any better other times?
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 01:15:47 AM »

was this interview unusual for him? has he done any better other times?

Far better. I've seen some.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 12:40:26 AM »

Btw, Lugar is preemptively endorsing Daniels for president, saying that he'll support Daniels, should he decide to run:

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2010/aug/12/lugar-republicans-had-better-have-ideas/

Not a huge shock, as Daniels used to be Lugar's chief of staff.  I wonder, if Daniels does decide to run for president, will he advocate Lugar-inspired foreign policy views?  That would put him at odds with most of the other candidates.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 01:35:48 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2010, 01:37:22 AM by Joementum »

Btw, Lugar is preemptively endorsing Daniels for president, saying that he'll support Daniels, should he decide to run:

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2010/aug/12/lugar-republicans-had-better-have-ideas/

Not a huge shock, as Daniels used to be Lugar's chief of staff.  I wonder, if Daniels does decide to run for president, will he advocate Lugar-inspired foreign policy views?  That would put him at odds with most of the other candidates.

I can't remember where but I recall some article where Daniels vaguely hinted the US would have to scale back foreign commitments.  I don't think he was specific as to what that meant though.

Daniels would (and already has) attracted the ire of some conservatives by calling for a "truce" on social issues.  He himself is religious but I wonder if that statement would open him up to attacks from culture warrior candidates who'd be threatened by him.  Huckabee already went after it in a fundraising letter for his PAC.

Daniels also rejected making a Bush Sr.-like pledge not to raise taxes saying all options would be on the table.

And most recently, Indiana Democrats busted him for signing a letter with some 40 other governors asking that parts of the stimulus be extended into 2011 which Daniels tried to refudiate but didn't seem to do so that convincingly.

Daniels is apt to struggle with the inherent problem that an incumbent-challenging party has.  The moderation that would play better in a general election is likely to be rejected in a primary.  So he'd probably have to slide to the Right to not be while Obama stakes out the center (though Obama has been sloppily and inflammatory in doing so.  538 had a good analysis of this.)

***Sorry about my lazy lack of sourcing.  You'll have to trust my memory/claim not to be a compulsive liar.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 08:28:50 PM »

I wonder, if Daniels does decide to run for president, will he advocate Lugar-inspired foreign policy views?  That would put him at odds with most of the other candidates.

As if to help answer my question, we have this:

http://www.gop12.com/2010/08/what-daniels-and-lugar-talked-about.html

"At his annual luncheon last week, Dick Lugar urged Mitch Daniels to run for President.

"WTHR then reported that Lugar and Daniels had talked with each other on the phone for an hour that day.

"But apparently, not about a race."

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 08:30:33 PM »

I wonder, if Daniels does decide to run for president, will he advocate Lugar-inspired foreign policy views?  That would put him at odds with most of the other candidates.

"At his annual luncheon last week, Dick Lugar urged Mitch Daniels to run for President.

"WTHR then reported that Lugar and Daniels had talked with each other on the phone for an hour that day.

Wonder what that's supposed to mean?
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 08:50:25 PM »

World affairs?

Well, you see Mars had this thing for Venus...
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 09:09:26 PM »

World affairs?

Well, you see Mars had this thing for Venus...
Haha.  Not...

I'm wondering what Daniels and Luger were talking about specifically under the umbrella of "World Affairs".
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 11:41:31 PM »

if I had a chance to talk to Lugar, I'd talk world affairs - doesn't mean I'm running for President.
but if Daniels decides too, it's encouraging that he'd be taking policy advice from Lugar.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 01:31:35 AM »

daniels couldn't win the nomination
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 05:45:50 AM »

I don't see why not.

He certainly has a much better chance than say Plain in both nomination and general.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 06:28:31 AM »

World Affairs?  You sure they weren't having detailed discussions about Uganda?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 09:02:17 AM »

I don't see why not.

He certainly has a much better chance than say Plain in both nomination and general.

he just pulled a Mondale and stated he would raise taxes.  the dude is dead meat and probably isn't running
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 01:13:08 PM »

I don't see why not.

he just pulled a Mondale and stated he would raise taxes.  the dude is dead meat and probably isn't running

It takes way more than that to sink a candidacy. Mondale only lost because he was terrible in every way, shape, form, and regard. That and Reagan was unbeatable, of course.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 01:24:58 PM »

I don't see why not.

he just pulled a Mondale and stated he would raise taxes.  the dude is dead meat and probably isn't running

It takes way more than that to sink a candidacy. Mondale only lost because he was terrible in every way, shape, form, and regard. That and Reagan was unbeatable, of course.

we're talking  GOP nomination here, not General Election.  and saying you're going to raise taxes means you don't win GOP nod.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »

I don't see why not.

we're talking  GOP nomination here, not General Election.  and saying you're going to raise taxes means you don't win GOP nod.

His record will help with that.  He did raise taxes as governor (Sales I think), but he also lowered others at the same time, and came back and lowered those he raised originally once he got rid of the state deficit.  He could simply claim to want to try the same thing on the national scale.  It'll hurt him sure, but "I want to tinker with the tax system" is not an election-killer, even in the GOP primary.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 02:20:59 PM »

The only question left is will he win South Carolina?

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100825/NEWS02/308250077/Indiana+Gov.+Mitch+Daniels+not+running+for+president
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 06:52:20 PM »

Not running. So he says.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 06:57:06 PM »

I don't see why not.

he just pulled a Mondale and stated he would raise taxes.  the dude is dead meat and probably isn't running
So?  American taxes are at an all time low.  They were much higher under Eisenhower in the 50's, also known as the "Good 'ole days".   They really need to go back up, at least for the upper class, so that we can have at least the semblance of the balanced budget.  Maybe you are middle aged or older, and not so worried about the debt because you are retired or will retire soon, but it's that weight that's going to be hanging over my shoulders and that of my generation unless something is done soon.  I'm glad that Daniels shows that he isn't afraid to take intelligent action.

On another note, the GOP needs to get off its voodo economic, higher taxes does not equal the end of the world.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies