Senate Races 2006.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:37:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  Senate Races 2006.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Senate Races 2006.  (Read 55538 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2004, 06:18:36 PM »

If PA-4 is an open seat in 2006, Heinz wins it. Probably as convincingly as Hart did in 2000.

How? Named ID alone isn't how you win an election. Yeah it helps but that doesn't seal the deal.

Perfect example: PA 17. PATERNO vs. Holden
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2004, 06:25:56 PM »

If PA-4 is an open seat in 2006, Heinz wins it. Probably as convincingly as Hart did in 2000.

How? Named ID alone isn't how you win an election. Yeah it helps but that doesn't seal the deal.

Actually that was more like PATERNO vs HOLDEN. Voting out one of the best constituency reps in Congress is plain daft.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2004, 06:38:13 PM »

Actually that was more like PATERNO vs HOLDEN. Voting out one of the best constituency reps in Congress is plain daft.

You didn't answer my question, did you?

Name ID favored Paterno. People across PA know that name especially those in PA 17. I didn't ask you your opinion on whether or not it was a good idea to vote out Holden.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2004, 06:44:37 PM »

Name ID favored Paterno. People across PA know that name especially those in PA 17. I didn't ask you your opinion on whether or not it was a good idea to vote out Holden.

The two are related ;-)

You'd have made a better point, if you'd used the example of Nick Clooney losing... although even then it doesn't quite translate... KY-4 is a naturally Republican district that had a Dem rep who retired. PA-4 is a naturally Democratic (albeit socially conservative) district. Name recogniton mighten't matter a great deal, but it's enough to push you over the top.
danwxman

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2004, 08:05:00 PM »

Heh, believe it or not, with the crappy football season and overwhelming support of Holden...I think the name ID would go to Holden. It's hard to figure out but you don't live in this area.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2004, 08:30:50 PM »

How about Mass?  Is Kennedy going to run again?  I remember him saying in 1994 that he wasn't going to run again.  Guess his word is good as gold :-).  This could be a competitive race if he retires, especially if Weld makes another run for the Senate.

Romney for Senate!

He wouldn't win
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2004, 08:42:31 PM »

How about Mass?  Is Kennedy going to run again?  I remember him saying in 1994 that he wasn't going to run again.  Guess his word is good as gold :-).  This could be a competitive race if he retires, especially if Weld makes another run for the Senate.

Romney for Senate!

He wouldn't win

It would be nice to see him get maybe 46-47% of the vote though.

And if he's going against someone like Ben Affleck, he can win.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2004, 11:47:29 PM »

Heh, believe it or not, with the crappy football season and overwhelming support of Holden...I think the name ID would go to Holden. It's hard to figure out but you don't live in this area.

I agree.  Joe Paterno is a fossil and has sh**tty football teams.  Scott Paterno looks like a "Tommy Boy". 
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2004, 11:49:32 PM »

Romney for Senate!

He wouldn't win

he's not William Weld. Only was elected governor because he had a very weak candidate. He is not insanely popular. He'd probably be facing one of the congressman, and he'd lose. It doesn't matter, he'll most likely run for reelection anyway, and lose to Rep. Marty Meehan.
danwxman

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2004, 11:51:44 PM »

I agree.  Joe Paterno is a fossil and has sh**tty football teams.  Scott Paterno looks like a "Tommy Boy". 

Scott Paterno is a fat moron.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2004, 11:58:12 PM »

I don't mean to bust on KeystonePhil, but I wish all Republicans had his mentality and cockiness.  He must think the GOP is going to invade certain areas.  He also thinks PA is a solidly conservative state.  I know PA is far from a liberal state, but it is nowhere near as right a KP would think. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2004, 08:56:07 AM »

I don't mean to bust on KeystonePhil, but I wish all Republicans had his mentality and cockiness.  He must think the GOP is going to invade certain areas.  He also thinks PA is a solidly conservative state.  I know PA is far from a liberal state, but it is nowhere near as right a KP would think. 

IrishDem, once again, I love how you tell me how I think. I have stated that PA is a conservative state. We're no Utah, we're no Wyoming. However, you're the one saying we're a "centrist" state. Sorry to bust on you, IrishDem, but I don't think you know what you're talking about. I'm sixteen but I know my stuff.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2004, 10:12:15 AM »

No, Ben Affleck would win (he'd get like 78% of the woman vote) but Romney could approach 45-47%.

Against a 'real' candidate liek Barney Frank, He probably would get 42-45%.

Massachusetts hasn't sent a Democrat to the senate since (Insert First name here) Brooke retired, and he was a liberal.  Only Bill Weld, who I don't think even lives in MA anymore, would have a chance.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2004, 10:14:21 AM »

Also, MA hasn't sent a Republican to congress in the last 4 elections and maybe longer than that.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2004, 10:22:08 AM »

The Senate is looking very bleak for the Democrats for years to come.   The Dems can win the presidency without any Southern states, but they can't take back the Senate that way.  They can't gain many seats in 2006 because they already gained 4 of those same seats in 2000.   Maybe they can take Santorum's seat, plus TN with Ford and VA with Warner, but that's about the best case.

Just do what all the moderate Dems have been saying for years and quit it with the divisive social issues! There are plenty of good Dems in the South, but most are pro-life and small-c conservative... Ford and Warner can both win, because they are conservative to populist dems.

What’s important to remember is that economic populism not social liberalism is at the heart of what the Democratic Party is all about, I don't mean that the democrats should abandon some socially liberals stands nor that they should suddenly endorse some of the intolerant and hateful ideas of the far right of the republican party but many within the party could learn from the moderate wing of the party, social liberalism was never a part of the agenda’s of FDR, Truman or Kennedy in fact it was only in the 1970’s in the context of the “counter culture” that it became fused by many liberal dems with the democrats traditional economic populism… it is time to re-evaluate this fusion IMHO       

Hear hear!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2004, 10:26:50 AM »

Also, MA hasn't sent a Republican to congress in the last 4 elections and maybe longer than that.

1994 was the last time the Republicans won so much as a House seat in MA.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2004, 10:27:35 AM »

No, Ben Affleck would win (he'd get like 78% of the woman vote) but Romney could approach 45-47%.

Against a 'real' candidate liek Barney Frank, He probably would get 42-45%.

Massachusetts hasn't sent a Democrat to the senate since (Insert First name here) Brooke retired, and he was a liberal.  Only Bill Weld, who I don't think even lives in MA anymore, would have a chance.

Going against Ben Affleck, Romney would have a pretty good chance. But let's say Affleck wins. It would be nice to see the seat that Ted Kennedy once held almost go GOP.

As for your final statement, you said MA hasn't sent a Dem to the Senate since Edward Brooke. Don't you mean MA hasn't sent a Republican since then?

As for Bill Weld, yes he would have a chance but he doesn't reside in MA.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2004, 10:35:00 AM »

Instead of keeping to a mature debate, the Dems have to stoop to personal attacks. How low. Can't say I didn't expect it, though.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2004, 12:52:41 PM »

Going against Ben Affleck, Romney would have a pretty good chance. But let's say Affleck wins. It would be nice to see the seat that Ted Kennedy once held almost go GOP.

As for your final statement, you said MA hasn't sent a Dem to the Senate since Edward Brooke. Don't you mean MA hasn't sent a Republican since then?

As for Bill Weld, yes he would have a chance but he doesn't reside in MA.

Now your saying you're looking for a moral victory in MA?  lol.

And yes I meant That Brooke was the last GOP senator from Massachusetts.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2004, 05:48:05 PM »

IrishDem, once again, I love how you tell me how I think. I have stated that PA is a conservative state. We're no Utah, we're no Wyoming. However, you're the one saying we're a "centrist" state. Sorry to bust on you, IrishDem, but I don't think you know what you're talking about. I'm sixteen but I know my stuff.

51-49 for Kerry, pretty split, that sounds centrist to me. And the fact that Kerry won by itself means the state isn't conservative.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2004, 08:23:17 PM »

51-49 for Kerry, pretty split, that sounds centrist to me. And the fact that Kerry won by itself means the state isn't conservative.

Arguing with you really is pointless. I have said before that this state is very partisan when it comes to Presidential races. However, this is a conservative state and that can be seen in a number of other races here in the Keystone state.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2004, 11:21:48 PM »

But why would it be partisan Democrat if it was conservative? Are you saying there are lots of conservatives who voted for the guy who was labeled the #1 liberal in the Senate? (not true, but that's what was said about him)

Using your logic, I could argue Montana is a liberal state.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2004, 11:38:18 PM »

But why would it be partisan Democrat if it was conservative? Are you saying there are lots of conservatives who voted for the guy who was labeled the #1 liberal in the Senate? (not true, but that's what was said about him)

Using your logic, I could argue Montana is a liberal state.

I'll make this very simple for you, BRTD. Dems outnumber Republicans in this state by a small margin. Many Dems in this state are conservative however when it comes to Presidential elections those conservative Dems are usually pretty partisan. On the state and local levels, it is a different story. That's the way it is in this state. Now you can choose to see it a different way but I believe that most would agree with my logic.

Now here is my question to you: If there was a poll taken in the state of Pennsylvania and those being polled had to label themselves conservative, liberal or moderate, how do you think most of them would answer?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2004, 11:46:18 PM »

why are the Democrats conservative? They'd have to be liberal on at least some issues if they were Democrats. Therefore while PA might be a conservative state on some issues, it'd have to be liberal on many as well. That evens out to a centrist state.

As for the poll, I'd say moderate.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2004, 11:49:40 PM »

I'd like to see how the NJ Senate race plays out. Corzine might run for Gov.

I think he's pretty set against running for Governor in 2005 but I guess it could still happen. If so, the 2006 Senate race could mean the return of Republican Doug Forrester as a Senate candidate (he's running for Governor this year but if he wins the primary and has to face Corzine, it's almost guarenteed he'll lose). The Dems would probably put up either Bob Menendez or popular south Jersey Congressman Rob Andrews.

If Corzine stays in the Senate and runs for re-election in two years, he'll win easily.

Forrester is a loser. He spend like half a million on attack ads against Dan Rather in the whole Bush National Guard thing. Bob Menendez might run, hes a powerful House Dem, and a possible Senate candidate. Rob Andrews won't run for Senate, hes a possible contender for the governor in 2005. There are some other Dem possiblites for Senate. Sen. John Adler, my state senator who was chairman of kerry in nj, and chairman of the judiciary committee, is raising money for a '08 run for Senate incase Frank Lautenberg retires again. He could move it up to the '06 race if Corzine leaves for the Governors' Mansion. He was also the frontrunner for U.S. Atty. if Kerry would have won.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies