What do moral values mean to you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:05:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What do moral values mean to you?  (Read 23474 times)
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 05:51:27 PM »

Moral Values:

-Rationality
-Independence
-Honesty
-Integrity
-Productiveness
-Pride
-Justice

So...

Why did George W Bush overwhelming win the "moral values" category if these were the qualifications?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 11:24:26 AM »

He has pride....I think.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 05:39:08 PM »

Why did George W Bush overwhelming win the "moral values" category

The phrase "moral values" has become a code phrase for conservative Christian values, even though conservative Christians do not have a monopoly on moral values. Many liberal ideas (such as racial and gender equality, providing for the poor, free speech, pacifism, etc.) could be seen as moral values.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2008, 08:46:30 PM »

Why did George W Bush overwhelming win the "moral values" category

The phrase "moral values" has become a code phrase for conservative Christian values, even though conservative Christians do not have a monopoly on moral values. Many liberal ideas (such as racial and gender equality, providing for the poor, free speech, pacifism, etc.) could be seen as moral values.

I think a better label would be "legally imposed interpersonal ethics"...but that is a mouth full, isn't it?  A more accurate term could be "Ethics Standardization".
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 04:39:03 PM »

Oh these issues are so divisive but shouldn't be. There is a small gray area of moral values. This DOES NOT mean that we should say "to each his own" because we wouldn't be saying that if someone else's moral decisions effected us. I like a candidate who does stand up for their moral values and hate a candidate who like Kerry says "focus on issues that unite us." What this means is "you nailed me, I have no values so let's change the subject to something I can win on." Nice job Kerry I'm so glad you lost.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 01:23:35 PM »

Oh these issues are so divisive but shouldn't be. There is a small gray area of moral values. This DOES NOT mean that we should say "to each his own" because we wouldn't be saying that if someone else's moral decisions effected us. I like a candidate who does stand up for their moral values and hate a candidate who like Kerry says "focus on issues that unite us." What this means is "you nailed me, I have no values so let's change the subject to something I can win on." Nice job Kerry I'm so glad you lost.

Yeah, I'm glad Kerry lost as well. And in case you didn't notice, McCain and Bush (in 2000) also tried to focus on issues that united us. Kerry does have moral values otherwise he wouldn't have served in Vietnam or had a career in public service.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 01:24:13 PM »

Moral Values:

-Rationality
-Independence
-Honesty
-Integrity
-Productiveness
-Pride
-Justice

I like this list, expect for maybe Pride.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 11:32:17 PM »

I've always been a fan of John Stuart Mill's Utilitarianism where the greatest good for the greatest number of people prevails rather than a mob mentality of majority rules. This is why I like the electoral college so much.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 03:45:02 PM »

I've always been a fan of John Stuart Mill's Utilitarianism where the greatest good for the greatest number of people prevails rather than a mob mentality of majority rules. This is why I like the electoral college so much.

The electoral college is also directly related to the popular vote of each state. And it is very rare for the PV and EV winners to differ.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 05:47:49 PM »

The electoral college is also directly related to the popular vote of each state. And it is very rare for the PV and EV winners to differ.

That's true it's only happened 4 times. In a close election though sometimes it is necessary for the majority to lose to prevent the mob mentality.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 07:18:16 PM »

That's true it's only happened 4 times. In a close election though sometimes it is necessary for the majority to lose to prevent the mob mentality.

How do you determine in which elections that is necessary, though? The EC is so random that it made two PV winners (Cleveland and Gore) lose the election while far worse men won those elections and screwed over our country afterwards.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 05:53:24 PM »

Yeah, I'm glad Kerry lost as well. And in case you didn't notice, McCain and Bush (in 2000) also tried to focus on issues that united us. Kerry does have moral values otherwise he wouldn't have served in Vietnam or had a career in public service.

What are you saying? Bush and McCain did focus on issues that unite people but also weren't afraid to take a controversial or unpopular stance if that's where they stood. Think of Kerry's service what you want, but if he were moral, he'd pay taxes on his 76 foot New Zealand yacht. Gosh who would want to tax something like that? lol
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 06:18:39 PM »

What are you saying? Bush and McCain did focus on issues that unite people but also weren't afraid to take a controversial or unpopular stance if that's where they stood. Think of Kerry's service what you want, but if he were moral, he'd pay taxes on his 76 foot New Zealand yacht. Gosh who would want to tax something like that? lol

Kerry was unafraid to risk his life to serve in Vietnam. And Kerry did pay taxes on his yacht afterwards, even though I agree that he did a bad thing by not paying those taxes in the first place.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2010, 06:43:54 PM »

Hating the homo's. Duh.

Wink
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 09:36:52 PM »

Moral values mean having substance and not just pretty speeches. It means attending a disaster rather than cracking jokes and drinking at a $28,000 a plate Hollywood dinner. It means standing up to unrepentant terrorists and child molesters. It means minding your own business and respecting the limits of your power. It means not taking what doesn't belong to you. It means paying the taxes that you owe according to law. It means listening to those who have questions.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2010, 11:50:47 PM »

Moral values mean having substance and not just pretty speeches. It means attending a disaster rather than cracking jokes and drinking at a $28,000 a plate Hollywood dinner. It means standing up to unrepentant terrorists and child molesters. It means minding your own business and respecting the limits of your power. It means not taking what doesn't belong to you. It means paying the taxes that you owe according to law. It means listening to those who have questions.

If you're talking about attending disasters, then Bush was celebrating McCain's birthday with him on the day of Hurricane Katrina instead of visiting the victims and their families.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2010, 06:54:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies