Obama backs mosque near ground zero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:44:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama backs mosque near ground zero
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: Obama backs mosque near ground zero  (Read 18564 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 13, 2010, 10:04:12 PM »

http://www.stltoday.com/news/national/govt-and-politics/article_ea778048-17db-5d2d-a8a5-49a7c0134d4f.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now if this isn't proof he's a Muslim... Wink Seriously though, I'm somewhat surprised he's willing to be so "direct" in public.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 10:06:21 PM »

Yeah, and there being a mosque already 4 blocks away sort of shows how silly this all is

Who would have thunk that the Democrats would be on the side of private property rights and Republicans for state intervention?  [besides me]
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 10:06:41 PM »

He's still clueless.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 10:07:07 PM »

"As a citizen, a Muslim, and as president, I believe that Muslims should have the same rights should have more rights to practice their religion as everyone else in this country," Obama said, weighing in for the first time on a controversy that has riven New York City and the nation.

Wink
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 10:07:41 PM »

Yeah, and there being a mosque already 4 blocks away sort of shows how silly this all is

Well of course it's silly....both the provocation that is wanting a mosque at that particular location....but even more so the socalled freedom loving conservatives that want to deny basic constitutional rights.

It's actually kind of sad this is even seriously being debated....but I am legitimately surprised that Obama is giving such a clear statement here.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 10:07:57 PM »

"As a citizen, a Muslim, and as president, I believe that Muslims should have the same rights should have more rights to practice their religion as everyone else in this country," Obama said, weighing in for the first time on a controversy that has riven New York City and the nation.

Wink

HURR
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 10:09:42 PM »

IIRC, didn't it just turn out that the Cordoba Initiative or whatever they call themselves don't actually own the land where they want to build the mosque?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 10:10:15 PM »

Well, for once he chose the correct position when a majority of Americans chose an incorrect position. Funny how he's against the far more popular gay marriage. This is a pretty irrelevant issue, though.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »

IIRC, didn't it just turn out that the Cordoba Initiative or whatever they call themselves don't actually own the land where they want to build the mosque?

Possible....I haven't really been following this, but that's an entirely different issue than what appears to be the "debate" in public.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 10:12:42 PM »

Who would have thunk that the Democrats would be on the side of private property rights and Republicans for state intervention?  [besides me]

These are the same Republicans who are willing to take a crap on the constitution by repealing the 14th amendment while, at the same time, berating "ObamaCare" as unconstitutional. Wink
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 10:14:12 PM »

These are the same Republicans who are willing to take a crap on the constitution by repealing the 14th amendment

Ugh, I don't support repealing the 14th amendment....but that argument is garbage. It's quite reasonable to AMEND the Constitution through the proper procedure. It's perfectly sound. Now wanting to deny basic Constitutional rights without seeking the proper amendments.....that'S a different story.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 10:17:18 PM »

Wink

Are you a birther?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 10:17:48 PM »

OMG!  OBAMA'S A MUZLIM!!!!!111

But seriously - he's on the right side here; however, I really don't see why he waded into this issue.  It'll only cause his PR people's blood pressure to rise.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 10:19:06 PM »

Wink

Are you a birther?
What does that have to do with Obama being a Muslim or not?
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 10:24:03 PM »

When many Republicans say "I'm conservative", they mean "I'm a conservative in name only".  LULZ
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 10:25:01 PM »

When many Republicans say "I'm conservative", they mean "I'm a conservative in name only".  LULZ

I know a fair amount of Republicans who are fine with this.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 10:29:18 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2010, 10:33:38 PM by Fuzzybigfoot »

Wink

Are you a birther?

Just wondering, because that's a key belief of the birthers.  Someone could believe he is a Muslim and believe he was born in the United States, but several people who agree with the first often don't agree with the second.  
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 10:33:57 PM »

Wink

Are you a birther?

Just wondering, because that's a key belief of the birther platform.  Someone could believe he is a Muslim and believe he was born in the United States, but several people who agree with the first often don't agree with the second.  
While I'm not absolutely convinced that Obama is not a Muslim, I do believe he was born in the United States. I hope that answers your question. Smiley
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 10:41:26 PM »

It's obviously idiotic to think Obama is a Muslim....but I seriously don't understand why so many people think it would be a problem even if it were true.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 10:42:27 PM »

These are the same Republicans who are willing to take a crap on the constitution by repealing the 14th amendment

Ugh, I don't support repealing the 14th amendment....but that argument is garbage. It's quite reasonable to AMEND the Constitution through the proper procedure. It's perfectly sound. Now wanting to deny basic Constitutional rights without seeking the proper amendments.....that'S a different story.

For once I partially agree with you.

It is not taking a crap on the Constitution to want to amend it.  It is however taking a crap on the Constitution to decide that the Commerce Clause applies to gun-free school zones, or that it's perfectly fine for the federal government to force people to buy health insurance.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 10:44:15 PM »

Good for you, Barry.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 11:59:34 PM »

There was really no reason he needed to take a stance on this... While I'm inclined to respect him for this decision, I really don't think this was a smart move politically.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 12:01:32 AM »

Yet his silence on the issue would have done nothing either
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 12:04:17 AM »

considering the several day time lapse from when this event occurred and when he voiced an opinion about it, despite the "right" opinion being obvious from the first second, it's hard to say that this wasn't a scientifically informed decision on Obama's part.  Either there was a direct poll and/or focus group, or an indirect one, but it's hard to imagine that Obama walked into this issue blindly considering the time lapse
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 12:04:27 AM »

It's obviously idiotic to think Obama is a Muslim....but I seriously don't understand why so many people think it would be a problem even if it were true.

It's idiotic to think he's Christian either, he is very obviously a closet atheist.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies