What Book Are You Currently Reading?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:01:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  What Book Are You Currently Reading?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 68
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading?  (Read 396455 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: March 21, 2012, 04:01:50 PM »

Jane Fonda: The Private Life of a Public Woman by Patricia Bosworth
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #326 on: March 21, 2012, 04:19:21 PM »

Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #327 on: March 21, 2012, 04:34:29 PM »

Katrin Himmler: The Himmler Brothers. Fascinating insight story of a seemingly fairly typical catholic German upper middle class family that produced one of the worlds worst mass murderers (who couldn't stand the sight of blood).
She is married to an Israeli by the way! Divine irony.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #328 on: March 26, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »

I finished The Brothers Karamazov earlier this week, in terms of pleasure reading.

In terms of not-so-pleasure reading, I'm working my way through Dagmar Herzog's Sex After Fascism, which examines the myths and perceptions arising re: sexuality in the Nazi era and how they affected the development of sexuality in both West and East Germany postwar.

Rooney
United States

« Reply #329 on: March 26, 2012, 06:31:11 PM »

I am nearing the end of The Just War Myth by Andrew Fiala. He is an engaging writer but I do not recommend the book for anyone who has a lot of interest in war theory. It is pretty much another book attacking the Bush Administration and the War on Terror (a good thing in my opinion) but at times it strays from critiquing the Christian theories of a just war.

I am also reading a bunch of special education books as I labor towards my doctorate in education and you would have no interest in those (unless you love IDEA 2004 and the Larry P decision!).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #330 on: March 26, 2012, 06:45:51 PM »

I finished The Brothers Karamazov earlier this week, in terms of pleasure reading.

thoughts?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #331 on: March 27, 2012, 07:40:22 PM »

Read The Kite Runner in one day - I enjoyed it, but it was profoundly depressing.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #332 on: March 27, 2012, 07:50:51 PM »

I've been assigned The Catcher in the Rye for school, so let's see where that one goes.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #333 on: March 27, 2012, 09:44:34 PM »

thoughts?

Short version is that it's one of the most powerful books I've ever read and that Dostoyevsky's insight into the human mind is really only matched by Shakespeare and Goethe among authors I've read.  Long version would be full of spoilers.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #334 on: March 28, 2012, 06:32:59 AM »

Spoiler alert: Alyosha is the killer.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #335 on: March 28, 2012, 09:27:11 AM »

A History of Saudi Arabia, because I got bored of Niall Ferguson's Colossus.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #336 on: March 28, 2012, 09:29:27 AM »

End the Fed

-Ron Paul

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #337 on: March 28, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »

Just finished "To kill a mockingbird."  We have a bunch a books coming due on Sunday (borrowing is for three weeks at the local public library), so I'll pick something else up.  I read a nice review of Leon Uris' "Armageddon" and I see that it's in stock, so maybe I'll get that one.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #338 on: March 28, 2012, 10:58:54 AM »

Ah, I see that you are a man of taste and distinction.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #339 on: March 28, 2012, 11:04:12 AM »

Focussing on One Hundred Years of Solitude, it's not good. Wool is pretty good though, reading that on my tellingphone.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #340 on: March 28, 2012, 05:11:17 PM »

Does anyone have any good suggestions that I could bring up for the next meeting of my international book club? The last book we read was a looping polemic that turned out to have been chosen solely so that the libertarians in the club could use it as a jumping off point to spread their gospel. The next book is Niall Ferguson's "The West and the Rest", and I can already tell that I won't like it. I desperately need to be equipped with a good suggestion the next time around. We want some more women to attend the book club so ideally it would be a book that would attract some more women. I am thinking of Nicholas Kristoff's 'Half the Sky' but I wonder if that is too explicitly feminist. Another book that I like is Mara Hvistendahl's 'Unnatural Selection'.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #341 on: March 28, 2012, 06:14:33 PM »

Does anyone have any good suggestions that I could bring up for the next meeting of my international book club? The last book we read was a looping polemic that turned out to have been chosen solely so that the libertarians in the club could use it as a jumping off point to spread their gospel. The next book is Niall Ferguson's "The West and the Rest", and I can already tell that I won't like it. I desperately need to be equipped with a good suggestion the next time around. We want some more women to attend the book club so ideally it would be a book that would attract some more women. I am thinking of Nicholas Kristoff's 'Half the Sky' but I wonder if that is too explicitly feminist. Another book that I like is Mara Hvistendahl's 'Unnatural Selection'.

8 women on a train was in our book club once. Horrible book, yes, but international and feminist. Wink
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #342 on: March 29, 2012, 12:11:51 AM »

Khrushchev Remembers
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #343 on: March 29, 2012, 11:03:37 AM »

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #344 on: March 29, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »

As I Lay Dying, on a Faulkner binge. Next up, Absalom Absalom!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #345 on: March 29, 2012, 08:47:26 PM »

Markus Zusak: The Book Thief.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #346 on: March 30, 2012, 10:45:37 AM »

Geert Mak, Jorwerd: the Death of the Village in the Late 20th Century (in German translation, of course, not in either English or the Dutch original) and Michael Thumann, der Islam-Irrtum.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #347 on: March 30, 2012, 12:08:26 PM »

Tanizaki Jun'ichiro, The Makioka Sisters. Though I'm biased towards this book and author.

Doris Lessing, The Grass is Singing. Same problem as Kristoff?
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #348 on: April 02, 2012, 08:30:28 AM »

Reading : A history of IRAN -Empire of the mind

Anyone ever read?
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #349 on: April 02, 2012, 09:27:46 AM »

Just finished Discipline and Punish - Foucault was a genius.

Now, on to some Edgar Allan Poe. It's not quite as good as I thought it would be.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 68  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies