What Book Are You Currently Reading?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:02:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  What Book Are You Currently Reading?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 68
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading?  (Read 396444 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: July 14, 2012, 06:51:07 AM »

Our Man in Havana is DONE. Now on to something else, haven't decided what yet though.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #476 on: July 14, 2012, 07:31:58 AM »

It's his earliest IIRC, and certainly one of his angrier books. I've read quite a few of his, but not everything, and I didn't like everything I've read. (Also, Rushdie's German translations are horrid and unreadable. Though I don't think I checked the later books' German versions as I could get those in English at the library. I think some of the early ones were translated in a rush during the Fatwa controversy, and rushed translations always suck royal circumsized balls. That I never got far with Midnight's Children is at least partly due to the translation. They don't stock it in English.) But I liked this one a lot when I read it. Been a few years though.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #477 on: July 14, 2012, 08:46:17 AM »

It's his earliest IIRC, and certainly one of his angrier books. I've read quite a few of his, but not everything, and I didn't like everything I've read. (Also, Rushdie's German translations are horrid and unreadable. Though I don't think I checked the later books' German versions as I could get those in English at the library. I think some of the early ones were translated in a rush during the Fatwa controversy, and rushed translations always suck royal circumsized balls. That I never got far with Midnight's Children is at least partly due to the translation. They don't stock it in English.) But I liked this one a lot when I read it. Been a few years though.

Don't you mean Rushdied? Tongue

Ok, sorry about that. Anyway, it isn't the earliest but it's certainly early. I think it is the second after Midnight's Children, because the cover of my copy references that.

I agree on translations. Ever since my English became good enough I make a point out of reading all English novels in English.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #478 on: July 15, 2012, 07:14:07 AM »

Don't you mean Rushdied? Tongue

Ok, sorry about that. Anyway, it isn't the earliest but it's certainly early. I think it is the second after Midnight's Children, because the cover of my copy references that.

I agree on translations. Ever since my English became good enough I make a point out of reading all English novels in English.
(wikies) apparently Children is second and Shame is third.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #479 on: July 15, 2012, 01:34:49 PM »

Here Comes Trouble - Michael Moore Cheesy

Bought it used from the library yesterday (used) for $2. Already half way done. Turns out my Mom had bought it for my birthday as well, and was a little upset, but I had no idea :/
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #480 on: July 15, 2012, 03:49:23 PM »

The Massie trilogy, currently partway through Nicholas and Alexandra having finished the other 2.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #481 on: July 16, 2012, 06:25:24 AM »

Letter from the Earth by Mark Twain. It's pretty hilarious!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #482 on: July 18, 2012, 12:48:36 PM »

Leo Tolstoy - War and Peace (translated by Constance Garnett Sad)

No access to Pevear and Volokhonsky? Or are you feeling masochistic?

I would have to buy it

I shelled out the $22 for the P/V today after reading the clumsy Garnett for 2 books.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #483 on: July 18, 2012, 03:06:57 PM »

Currently I am reading The Siege of Washington: The Untold Story of the Twelve Days that Shook the Union by John and Charles Lockwood. The two brothers are wonderful story tellers and give a fine tour of Washington City in spring 1861.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #484 on: July 18, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »

Jean-Paul Sartre's "The Age of Reason."

At first it was toilet seat reading, but the Cable Guy came over this morning--connected the internet, finally, and gave us 300+ channels of garbage.  I suppose this will cost an arm and a leg, but it's good to be back in touch.  Anyway, he noticed the book splayed, spine down, on a box in the basement and commented on it.  Apparently he'd read it because he was very well versed on it and had a detailed analysis regarding the development of characters.  We discussed it somewhat, but I felt a bit guilty that I was only on page 42 at the time.  Since then I've read another 30 pages.  I relate to Mathieu.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #485 on: July 19, 2012, 12:08:44 AM »

Jean-Paul Sartre's "The Age of Reason."

At first it was toilet seat reading, but the Cable Guy came over this morning--connected the internet, finally, and gave us 300+ channels of garbage.  I suppose this will cost an arm and a leg, but it's good to be back in touch.  Anyway, he noticed the book splayed, spine down, on a box in the basement and commented on it.  Apparently he'd read it because he was very well versed on it and had a detailed analysis regarding the development of characters.  We discussed it somewhat, but I felt a bit guilty that I was only on page 42 at the time.  Since then I've read another 30 pages.  I relate to Mathieu.

yeah read that.  good book.  you would suffer from clinical depression without red wine, much like Sartre, read it, relate, and become a Communist
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #486 on: July 22, 2012, 03:25:22 PM »

Joanna Bourke: What it means to be human: Reflections since 1791. Excellent even if a bit too poststructuralist for my liking. But very readable.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #487 on: July 22, 2012, 06:39:32 PM »

Can't stand her myself, though perhaps that goes without saying...

...actually there are other reasons as well, but it's more fun to be a crusader or something.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #488 on: July 23, 2012, 04:18:35 AM »

Currently reading The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #489 on: July 23, 2012, 08:22:48 AM »

Read The Communist Manifesto last week as a short flight/airport read, about to start A Very British Coup.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #490 on: July 23, 2012, 02:25:53 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2012, 04:00:59 PM by Gustaf »

Kitchen by the greatly named Banana Yoshimoto.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #491 on: July 25, 2012, 11:00:39 PM »

David Harvey is really awful. Neoliberalism is pretty awesome, though. It's amazing how 'awful' and 'awesome' started out as meaning the same thing but diverged into two totally different words.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #492 on: July 26, 2012, 09:08:29 AM »

I'm reading the Sword Art Online light novels. Just finished the first one this morning.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #493 on: July 30, 2012, 11:45:18 AM »

There is No Freedom Without Bread!: 1989 and the Civil War That Brought Down Communism by Constantine Pleshakov

Just got this last week and started reading it on Saturday and I am expecting to finish it by Wednesday at the latest.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #494 on: July 30, 2012, 01:04:40 PM »

Ces français qui votent Le Pen, the 2002 re-edition of an older book (but still good some 15 years later) by Nonna Mayer

Afterwards, I'll finally read the quite well-known (in elitist bobo leftie academia) Le Front national a découvert, from 1995.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #495 on: August 01, 2012, 05:51:01 PM »

Caught my eye in Waterstones. Tongue
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prime-Minister-Boris-Things-Happened/dp/1849541000
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #496 on: August 01, 2012, 09:13:58 PM »

Reading an ebook of The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #497 on: August 03, 2012, 12:25:38 AM »

Just got it today. Been on my reading list for a while.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #498 on: August 03, 2012, 10:23:10 PM »

Receding Tide: Vicksburg and Gettysburg- The Campaigns That Changed the Civil War by Edwin C. Bearss and J. Parker Hills. Bearss is my favorite Civil War historian because he is a natural storyteller and this work is no exception to this rule.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #499 on: August 03, 2012, 10:44:07 PM »

I'm reading the Sword Art Online light novels. Just finished the first one this morning.

Oh! How are they? I've been meaning to pick up the anime, since it has my favorite soundtrack composer.

I'm meaning to start a reread of St Augustine's Confessions some time soon.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 68  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies