Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2015, 02:59:29 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate
| | |-+  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Beet)
| | | |-+  What Book Are You Currently Reading?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] Print
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading?  (Read 149102 times)
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -0.36

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1350 on: August 07, 2015, 05:33:07 pm »
Ignore

Rural Radicals: Righteous Rage in the American Grain

A bit over halfway into this book that I found in an adorable used bookstore in Canada. It's fantastic and a very good read about why extremism on the left and right tends to flare up in rural areas. The author presents a balanced viewpoint and examines a wide range of years.

The Liberals' Moment

Awesome read about George McGovern that I'm using as a source for me extended essay. An in depth analysis of his botched campaign along with what it spells out for liberals nowadays.

Catholic prairie populist.
Classic Conservative
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: August 21, 2015, 01:29:49 pm »
Ignore

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom.

DemPGH
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: August 26, 2015, 03:19:23 pm »
Ignore

It Started With Copernicus by Howard Margolis from about 2002 or 2003. It's a very good read. He destroys the argument that there was no such thing as the scientific revolution and then takes most of the book to cite examples and show how around 1600 both method and knowledge started to make sudden and quick leaps forward.

One of my heroes is Francis Bacon, who argued in Novum Organum that what's needed is an entirely new method for the creation of knowledge. With that came really a new way of thinking about and interacting with the world. To me that's why there were such sudden leaps in discovery and technology. The idea that everything was revealed in antiquity had to go.

Also the latest edition of The Ricardian has a couple of very interesting essays, one on the development and use of field guns during the Wars of the Roses, and one on the diet of Richard III. There's also some interesting insight into the "court of chivalry" where one person was offended by another person, a duel was scheduled, weapons were selected, letters exchanged, but because of Henry VI's inability to administrate (due to mental illness), the duel appears never to have taken place. The Bulletin features some beautiful pictures from the funeral back in March.

PM:
Economic: -5.03
Social: -8.35

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout