Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 04:46:13 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate
| | |-+  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Beet)
| | | |-+  What Book Are You Currently Reading?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] Print
Author Topic: What Book Are You Currently Reading?  (Read 79489 times)
Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: 5.74

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: October 25, 2014, 05:13:04 pm »
Ignore

How Erg the Self-Inductor Slew a Paleface
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: October 25, 2014, 06:46:07 pm »
Ignore

The Renaissance of Islam by Adam Mez and I Borgia by Roberto Gervaso.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 06:48:29 pm by Pope Kalwejt I of Northeast »Logged
Clarko95
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: October 25, 2014, 09:37:37 pm »
Ignore

Recently finished in 2014: The Divide by Matt Taibbi, Confidence Men, Killing Lincoln, Cold New World, Notes From a Big Country, Devil in the White City

Coming up Next: The War that Made America, I Am America (And So Can You!)

"It's okay to stand up to people in your party and tell them that they're too mean" - John Kasich, 1999

Current obsession: http://www.myfree.cc/mp3/fedez+Viva+l%27iva
MormDem

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: October 25, 2014, 10:32:27 pm »
Ignore

Last Month: A book by Al Franken mocking Conservative Media

This Month: The first volume of the Nixon Tapes (not sure I'll finish though, it's just so dang huge)

Next Month: Hard Choices (Hillary Clinton)
Beatrice
Not Great Bob
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: October 30, 2014, 08:30:03 am »
Ignore

Claudius the God by Robert Graves. I feel like it should be right up my alley - politics, history, intrigue, I really enjoyed the BBC adaptation et cetera - but something about the prose just stops me from really getting into it.
angus
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: October 30, 2014, 09:24:19 am »
Ignore

Crime and Punishment.  I'm about 3/4 finished.  Don't tell me how it ends.

I was actually inspired by Senator bore:

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=200553.msg4338757#msg4338757

Well, I was inspired to pick up Brothers Karamazov, but at the library all the copies of that book were really fat and really old but right next to them was Crime and Punishment.  The book was shaped better.  Tall, and therefore thinner, with newer binding.  The Idiot was there too, but I have already read that.  I'll probably read Brothers Karamazov when I can find a more aesthetically pleasing edition.  So far, every Russian book I've ever read was very depressing--we have discussed Anna Karenina and War & Peace elsewhere.  Not as depressing as Dickens, but depressing nonetheless.

Anyway, Sonya's father has just been laid to rest.  I think I'm about to find out whether Raskolnikov has given himself away to the cops.  I imagine he has, although I'm not entirely sure what will happen to his sister and his mother.

swl
France

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: October 31, 2014, 06:52:51 am »
Ignore

I think russian novels have a tendency to shatter the naive hopeful views we have on life sometimes.

I just finished The Joke, by Milan Kundera, and it had the same effect. I could not help but relate on the things we all do sometimes, the hopes or the big plans we all have. If only we could read 1% of others have in mind, we would realize that all these plans are actually completely stupid. My personal lesson from this book is that life is an absurd joke and it's better to laugh at it.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:57:30 am by swl »Logged
Senator bore
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: October 31, 2014, 09:30:29 am »
Ignore

Crime and Punishment.  I'm about 3/4 finished.  Don't tell me how it ends.

I was actually inspired by Senator bore:

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=200553.msg4338757#msg4338757

Well, I was inspired to pick up Brothers Karamazov, but at the library all the copies of that book were really fat and really old but right next to them was Crime and Punishment.  The book was shaped better.  Tall, and therefore thinner, with newer binding.  The Idiot was there too, but I have already read that.  I'll probably read Brothers Karamazov when I can find a more aesthetically pleasing edition.  So far, every Russian book I've ever read was very depressing--we have discussed Anna Karenina and War & Peace elsewhere.  Not as depressing as Dickens, but depressing nonetheless.

Anyway, Sonya's father has just been laid to rest.  I think I'm about to find out whether Raskolnikov has given himself away to the cops.  I imagine he has, although I'm not entirely sure what will happen to his sister and his mother.

I'm glad to hear it Smiley

I read The Brothers Karamazov last year and am coincidentally also reading Crime and Punishment at the moment, although I'm a bit closer to the end (I have 30 pages left, so should be finished today or tomorrow).

Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: November 10, 2014, 10:51:55 am »
Ignore

The Russians are great.

My two most recent reads were The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera and Sweet Thursday by Steinbeck.

TULOB is undeniably a great novel, well written and lots of very insightful things in it about people (I was going to say the human condition but then I vomited in my mouth at that cliche).

At the same time he comes off as unbearable douche, so there is that. Tongue And the sexism in it was at times a bit too much for me. I don't mind sexism much in older books but this is modern enough that he should know better and there is a sophisticated evil to it that goes beyond mere ignorance.

Sweet Thursday is typical Steinbeck, very sweet and heartwarming.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: November 10, 2014, 04:12:43 pm »
Ignore

I've cracked open The Crucified God: The Cross of Christ as the Foundation and Criticism of Christian Theology.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
blagohair.com
unempprof
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: November 18, 2014, 01:33:40 pm »
Ignore

Healthcare is a right, not a moneymaking business - Bernie Sanders

American Exceptionalism: The only industrialized nation in which health care is not a universal right, but gun ownership is.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: November 18, 2014, 01:36:44 pm »
Ignore

Margaret MacMillan is meticulously detailed and a pleasure to read, as always. Paris 1919 was one of my favorite history books ever, and this one is...not quite up to that standard, but is damned solid.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
MormDem

View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: November 22, 2014, 01:54:09 pm »
Ignore

Hard Choices by Hillary Clinton.
Storebought
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: November 22, 2014, 02:18:46 pm »
Ignore

I've been diverted from literature by a bunch of technical books -- I mean you, Landau and Lifsh(i)tz Vol 8 -- but I've been reading Pride and Prejudice just to see what all the fuss is about.

EDIT: What a damn absurdity. The forum formatting actually impedes communication.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:41:37 pm by Storebought »Logged
Senator TNF
TNF
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: November 22, 2014, 02:37:48 pm »
Ignore

Spamage
spamage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -2.43

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: November 22, 2014, 04:49:25 pm »
Ignore

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: November 26, 2014, 02:57:02 pm »
Ignore

Recently I've been looking (don't ask me why; it's a long story, although probably not one that would really surprise anybody here) for Christian-themed lesbian literature, that is, literature featuring lesbian characters who either are believing Christians throughout the narrative or become believing Christians in the course of the narrative and stay that way. As you might imagine, this is an exceptionally niche set of specifications, especially since I consider accidentally running across 'ex-gay' tripe a worse result than finding nothing. So far I've found and read a few recently-published young adult novels that technically fit what I'm looking for but they've tended to be of relatively low artistic quality and don't do much to rectify the generally poor reputation of both lesbian YA and contemporary Christian fiction as a whole. By rights there should probably be some sort of untapped market here.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Senator TNF
TNF
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: November 26, 2014, 03:38:57 pm »
Ignore

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout