2008 Election TL (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:22:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 Election TL (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: 2008 Election TL (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 28698 times)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« on: August 16, 2010, 06:03:39 PM »
« edited: August 16, 2010, 06:07:13 PM by Mideast Assemblyman True Conservative »

Mike Huckabee starts his campaign with visits in Iowa, Michigan and Florida. Among his more important campaign stops, he adresses crowds in Ames, Iowa and St. Petersburg, Florida. There, he takes note of his socially conservative credentials, and states that he is the best chance for conservatives to win the Republican nomination, and from there, the White House.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 01:30:42 PM »

Mike Huckabee garners important endorsements in Iowa, from Senator Chuck Grassley and Representative Steve King, and in Florida, from Lieutenant Governor Jeff Kottkamp. Grassley says--

"Iowans and Americans, there is a choice now. There is the Democratic party, which if elected will continue to push a liberal agenda that has done us no good so far. But who are we to support, if not them? After all, the Republicans have a choice as well. That is why I invite you to make the right choice, and vote for my friend, Michael Dale Huckabee. He is the best chance for conservatives to take on the Democrats in 2008."

Huckabee also begins to run advertisements in Iowa and Florida.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 12:58:16 PM »

Mike Huckabee makes campaign stops in Kansas, Georgia and South Carolina, and makes appearances with Sen. Pat Roberts (KS), Gov. Sonny Perdue and Sen. Johnny Isakson (GA), and Lt. Governor Andre Bauer (SC).

Roberts says, in a speech in Kansas City, "Now isn't the time to take a risk with a more liberal Republican taking the nomination. We need someone with a true pro-family record, and I know that we have that someone in Mike Huckabee. When casting your primary or caucus ballot, please vote for the true Republican, Mike Huckabee!"
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:50:23 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2010, 07:52:28 PM by Mideast Assemblyman True Conservative »

What the hell?

electoraljew2, tmthforu94 is clearly cheating/going against the rules, because I took Grassley already.

Mike Huckabee garners important endorsements in Iowa, from Senator Chuck Grassley and Representative Steve King, and in Florida, from Lieutenant Governor Jeff Kottkamp. Grassley says--

"Iowans and Americans, there is a choice now. There is the Democratic party, which if elected will continue to push a liberal agenda that has done us no good so far. But who are we to support, if not them? After all, the Republicans have a choice as well. That is why I invite you to make the right choice, and vote for my friend, Michael Dale Huckabee. He is the best chance for conservatives to take on the Democrats in 2008."

Huckabee also begins to run advertisements in Iowa and Florida.

I'll also post the PMs on request.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:35:58 PM »

By the way, he still didn't remove the Grassley quote.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:10:16 PM »

Mike Huckabee delivers a fiery speech in Michigan. He states the following:

"In response to the recent Romney Iowa campaign stop, I'd like to take note of Romney's own record. Yes, he had a very successful time running the 2002 Olympics, but running an Olympic event, no matter how successful, is hardly a qualification for political office. Certainly, Bay Staters didn't approve of Romney's own management of the state of Massachusetts. He was so unpopular that he didn't even bother running for a second term. At just 4 years, Romney has very little actual experience holding public office of any kind. Further, Romney himself doesn't have an anti-tax record, and despite running as anti-tax right now, refused to sign an anti-tax pledge while running for governor in 2002."
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:12:10 PM »

By the way, he still didn't remove the Grassley quote.
Seriously, take a chill pill. I forgot I wrote his name down twice. I edited it.

ElectoralJew, feel free to dock me a point or two for this to make Officepark happy. I really don't care.

Look, I'll repeat what I said before: I'm no longer making an argument about this. It's behind me now.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 12:44:03 AM »

Huckabee begins to increase his focus on his strong suit, social issues. He releases an advertisement on television in Iowa, South Carolina and Florida.

Mitt Romney claims to be the pro-family candidate in the race. He even started his campaign by stating that he is such. But is he truly a social conservative? In Massachusetts, while running for governor, Romney spoke of the need to "preserve and protect a woman's right to choose"--now, of course, he claims to believe in the sanctity of life. Mike Huckabee has pushed for pro-life legislation as governor of Arkansas and supports pro-life legislation now. As governor of Massachusetts, Romney signed a bill permanently banning so-called assault rifles, strengthening the position of Massachusetts as one of the top anti-gun rights states in the Union. Mike Huckabee was and is a strong supporter of the right to bear arms. Massachusetts is the only state to allow gay marriage, and Romney failed to stop it, while Mike Huckabee successfully pushed for a traditional marriage amendment in Arkansas. Who's the pro family candidate?
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 10:57:41 PM »

Mike Huckabee makes campaign stops in Tennessee alongside Lamar Alexander, Bob Corker and Marsha Blackburn. He then visits the campaign trail in Virginia, where he is endorsed by Representatives Rob Wittman, Eric Cantor and Frank Wolf. Huckabee continues to emphasize his strong record on cultural issues, but he is addressing economics as well.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 10:37:56 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2010, 10:39:48 AM by Mideast Assemblyman True Conservative »

Mike Huckabee announces a series of town hall meetings in Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, and Florida. In Iowa, he begins campaigning with Representative Tom Latham (IA-4).

Tom Latham says: "Mike Huckabee has the experience and the conservatism that America needs. When you go to vote in January during the Iowa caucuses, please vote for Mike. He'll do what's needed for America."

He also makes a campaign stop in West Virginia, where he gains an unexpected endorsement from Shelley Capito. Representative Capito says, "I'm certain that Mitt Romney would make a fine President. He has serious business qualifications, and I'm sure that no matter who you support in the primaries, you have to acknowledge that. However, I think that Mike is better suited as a nominee this year. He has more experience in running a government--over two terms as Arkansas governor. In today's world, it's very important that a President have enough prior experience in the government, and I have no doubts in Huckabee as far as that's conncerned."
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »

Mike Huckabee campaigns in Iowa, visiting Ames, Cedar Rapids and Des Moines. He appears with Chuck Grassley, Steve King and Tom Latham. He then goes to campaign in Oklahoma alongside representatives John Sullivan and Tom Cole.

Cole says, "This is a very important decision for the Republicans to make. While all of the candidates are very respectable, I think that Mike Huckabee is the best choice for the Republican party, and I encourage all Republicans to vote for him in the primaries. He has the conservative record and the experience to lead the Republicans in 2008."

He then campaigns in South Carolina with Lieutenant Governor Andre Bauer, and in Florida with Senator Mel Martinez and Lt. Governor Jeff Kottkamp.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »

Mike Huckabee campaigns in Iowa, visiting Ames, Cedar Rapids and Des Moines. He appears with Chuck Grassley, Steve King and Tom Latham. He then goes to campaign in Oklahoma alongside representatives John Sullivan and Tom Cole.

Cole says, "This is a very important decision for the Republicans to make. While all of the candidates are very respectable, I think that Mike Huckabee is the best choice for the Republican party, and I encourage all Republicans to vote for him in the primaries. He has the conservative record and the experience to lead the Republicans in 2008."

He then campaigns in South Carolina with Lieutenant Governor Andre Bauer, and in Florida with Senator Mel Martinez and Lt. Governor Jeff Kottkamp.
I have Steve King. ElectoralJew just confirmed it.

That's not correct. I've used Steve King in my posts before, and you haven't. Also, I requested him, and it was granted. I'll post the PMs on request.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 10:05:28 PM »

Mike Huckabee campaigns in Ames, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City in Iowa, with Senator Chuck Grassley and Representatives Tom Latham and Steve King. He also appears in Florida with Jeff Kottkamp and Mel Martinez. In Tennessee, he appears in Nashville and Knoxville with Bob Corker and Lamar Alexander, and Representative Marsha Blackburn. Finally, he visits the state of Texas, where he recieves 2 new endorsements, from Senators Kay Hutchison and John Cornyn.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 07:23:35 PM »

Mike Huckabee tours the state of Missouri, where he appears with an important new endorsement, Senator Kit Bond. Bond says, "As a former Governor myself, I cannot understate the importance of experience to presidential candidates. Mike Huckabee has served the people of Arkansas for ten years, and he has what it takes to carry the Republicans to victory in November. I am endorsing his Presidential campaign, and encourage Republicans to vote for him.  He's the best man in the race, and we can win with Mike!" He subsequently visits Ames and Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and holds a series of town hall meetings. He also appears in several rallies with Senator Chuck Grassley.

He then travels to North Carolina, where he is endorsed by Richard Burr, and to Virginia, where he appears with Rob Wittman, Eric Cantor and Frank Wolf, as well as a new endorsement, Represenative Randy Forbes.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 10:15:47 PM »

Mike Huckabee pays a visit to Atlanta, Georgia, where he appears with Governor Sonny Perdue and Senator Johnny Isakson, as well as a new endorsement, anti-tax Representative John Linder. In an interview after the event, Linder states that he endorsed Huckabee in part because "no matter what the Romney campaign says to the contrary, I'm convinced that Huckabee is an opponent of excess taxation. In particular, I very much appluaded his Tax Me More Fund which he established as Arkansas governor. It may make Mike look pro-tax, yes, but it was actually established to call out the hypocrisy of those calling for tax increases. I don't think anyone who's actually pro-tax would do that." It is speculated in the media that Huckabee is looking to seriously address the issues of taxation brought up by Mitt Romney.

He then visits Tennessee where he appears with 2 new endorsements, Jimmy Duncan and Zach Wamp, and Missouri, where he is endorsed by Represenatives Sam Graves and Kenny Hulshof. Finally, he makes visits to Grand Rapids and Lansing, Michigan. He has just recieved 3 endorsements from the state--Representatives Dave Camp, Mike Rogers and Thad McCotter.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 01:08:22 AM »

Mike Huckabee makes a tour of the state of Iowa. He campaigns with Chuck Grassley, Tom Latham and Steve King, as well as Kit Bond, from the neighboring state of Missouri. In particular, Huckabee appears at a local Republican rally in Iowa City.

"My message is simple--we need a true conservative Republican. As far as policy is concerned, I won't reverse my stance from recognizing the sanctity of human life to preserving and protecting a woman's right to choose, or back. I won't sign legislation that makes it even harder to own a gun. More than that, I also have the needed experience to run for president. I've served 10 years as governor of Arkansas, and I've remained on good terms with Arkansas voters. Shortly before leaving office, a University of Arkansas poll indicated that I had a 55% approval rating, with only 32% disapproving. So, if you want a conservative Republican with the experience and what it takes to win, I hope you'll consider voting for me in January. Thank you all, and God bless America!" --Mike Huckabee

Representative John Linder also stumps for Mike Huckabee in Iowa. Asked about taxation, Linder says, "Though some taxes have been raised in Arkansas, I think Huckabee's the more conservative candidate, and I think we're ignoring the many tax cuts that took place under his administration. Further, the Tax Me More Fund, despite seeming like a new tax, was actually Huckabee's idea to expose the hypocrisy of those calling for higher taxes. It was a huge success in proving its point, and I don't think it's a very pro-taxation thing to do. For that matter, let's look at Mitt Romney. It's true that he didn't raise taxes--he raised fees instead. And consider this: would you rather pay an additional $100 in taxes, or an additional $100 in fees? Whatever the case, Romney was open to increasing revenue, he simply bypassed the tax label and called the hikes 'fees.'"
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 08:59:38 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2010, 09:17:46 PM by Mideast Assemblyman True Conservative »

Mike Huckabee, too, releases a new attack ad on Romney in Iowa....

"Mitt Romney, the businessman and the economic conservative in the race....

Raised fees in order to say that he didn't raise taxes.

Enacted Romneycare and forced people to buy health insurance.

Mitt Romney, the man with the economic know-how with a great deal of business experience....

Has only 4 years of experience in any public office.

Left Massachusetts with a 65% disapproval rating."
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 09:11:56 PM »

Mike Huckabee appears in Iowa City in a massive event, and says:

"Tomorrow, Iowans, is the day that you get to cast the first votes in this year's primary cycle. Though I'm a harsh critic of Mitt Romney, I'll remain civil in it, and I wish him, and Congressman Tom Tancredo, the best of luck in tomorrow's vote. Whatever the case, tomorrow is going to be a big day, which is why I'm asking for your support now. If you want a popular former Governor, who has the experience to win, if you want a true pro-family candidate, who's unwavering in his support for traditional marriage, the unborn, and the second amendment, I'm asking for your vote tomorrow. Together, we can bring back the days of Reagan. Now, a final note. I'm not saying that Reagan would endorse me. I would have loved it a great deal if he did, but he is, alas, dead, and I can't speak for him. Whatever the case, however, I endorse him. I hope you'll keep that in mind when going to vote tomorrow. So, thanks to you all, and God Bless America!"

*Audience applause*
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 10:23:53 AM »

Mike Huckabee continues to campaign in Iowa on caucus day, appearing in Des Moines with Senator Chuck Grassley.

Mike Huckabee says: "There's one point where I agree with Mitt Romney, and it's his recent comments on popularity. Doing the right thing is more important than being popular, and several times myself I've done something that contributed to a drop in my approval ratings. I, too, am committed to this nation's national defense, and I consider it more important than popularity.

Nevertheless, it is something to consider when selecting a nominee. Perhaps not the most important thing (as Romney said, some things may be more important), but still, something to consider. I've long said that when your resume only gives you 4 years of experience in public office, and, what's worse, 65% of people felt even that was bad, it's not a record to build on. And, such things don't produce a strong nominee.
"
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 11:21:06 AM »

Mike Huckabee makes more appearances in the Hawkeye State, visiting Burlington, Ames and Cedar Rapids. He appears at several rallies, with Congressmen Tom Latham and Steve King.

"Well, the time has come. Today is the big day for Iowans. Once again, I wish the best of luck for my opponents, Mitt Romney and Tom Tancredo, and there's no doubt I will need some luck too. (audience laughter)

Anyway, today is the day that, by voting in the caucuses, you're shaping the outcome of the Republican primaries and caucuses, and what's more, the election in general. I hope you'll consider a vote for Mike Huckabee. Now, a final note.

I'm campaigning as the Reaganesque candidate in the race, which is exactly what Romney and Tancredo are doing as well. That's all very good, and I'm glad to see that we're all looking up to him as Republicans. However, there's one thing that I can't do, and that's to claim that Reagan would endorse me. I can't say that no matter how close I feel to him, because although I would have loved it if he did endorse me, I can't claim to speak for Reagan. So, I don't know who Reagan would endorse, BUT, I endorse him, and I hope you'll keep that in mind when voting today. Thanks once again and God bless America! (audience applause)"

--From a rally in Cedar Rapids
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 02:44:49 PM »

Mike Huckabee makes a final push in Iowa, with a rally in Iowa City.

Appearing with Tom Latham, Steve King and Chuck Grassley, Mike Huckabee attends a Republican event in the city, where he says:

"Iowans, we can win this race and send the message that we want a conservative Republican. But, to do so, we need your support, becuase in this hour, it's of the utmost importance. If you haven't voted already, I urge you to do so while it's still possible. I'm running because I think we can, and should, get a conservative to win and to get the Republican nomination. Now's the chance, and I ask you to use it. Thanks to all of you once again, and God bless."

He also releases an advertisement touting his gubernatorial experience.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 06:55:27 PM »

Can we have a map with the leaners? (as in a map for the polling in states that haven't already voted?) As well as a list of the coming-soon primaries?
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 07:02:42 PM »

Mike Huckabee makes a speech in Des Moines, both a victory statement for the Iowa caucus and a concession for the Wyoming caucus.

"I'd like to thank our supporters in Iowa. While tonight's victory is certainly a very important one, our campaign is by no means over, and there's still a long way to go before anyone can claim the 1,191 delegates needed to secure the nomination. I'd also like to congratulate Mitt Romney for his victory in Wyoming, as well as Congressman Tancredo for his performance. I'm very optimistic for the future and I hope that you are as well. So, thanks to all of you again, goodnight and God bless America!" --Mike Huckabee
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 11:20:28 AM »

Mike Huckabee appears in Manchester, New Hampshire.

"In response to the recent attacks by Romney and Tancredo, I'd like to point out that the overall crime rate in Arkansas was decreased by 3.9% during my administration. And in a 2006 poll by the University of Arkansas shortly before I left office, 16% felt that the most important issues in Arkansas were drugs and crime, down from 30% in a similar poll in 2000. I'm also a supporter of the death penalty, and I've actually been criticized for carrying it out more than any other Arkansas governor. That doesn't mean I don't have any conscience about it, and there my opponents are correct. But, I haven't let that get the better of me in doing my duty.

Mistakes were made, yes, and I'm not afraid to be honest about that. Nevertheless, I think the picture being painted by my opponents is a misleading one.
"
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 07:42:39 PM »

Mike Huckabee releases a statement on the New Hampshire primary:

"We wish to congratulate former Governor Romney, for his victory in New Hampshire, as well as Representative Tancredo on his performance. However, the race is still by no means over, and we intend to continue campaigning until someone emerges with the 1,191 delegates needed to win."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies