Australian Federal Election - Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:06:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australian Federal Election - Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Author Topic: Australian Federal Election - Results Thread  (Read 50778 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2010, 12:26:40 PM »

Personally, I think the more interesting question is who's going to replace Abbott or Gillard as party leader depending on which of them loses the negotiations.

Is Abbott necessary going to get kicked out as Coalition leader even if he lose the negociations though, considering the elction was so close and that Abbott still made a better effort than anyone expected. I don't know how these things work in Australia, but in Sweden at least a leader who greatly increased his/her party's numbers, even if they failed to win goverment, wouldn't necessary be kicked out.

You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2010, 12:29:13 PM »

Personally, I think the more interesting question is who's going to replace Abbott or Gillard as party leader depending on which of them loses the negotiations.

Is Abbott necessary going to get kicked out as Coalition leader even if he lose the negociations though, considering the elction was so close and that Abbott still made a better effort than anyone expected. I don't know how these things work in Australia, but in Sweden at least a leader who greatly increased his/her party's numbers, even if they failed to win goverment, wouldn't necessary be kicked out.

I'm just jumping to conclusions based on what happens in the UK. Generally, except for Neil Kinnock, a losing leader ends up getting kicked out.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2010, 12:32:13 PM »

The last Liberal leader who did not win an election and who stayed as Liberal leader for the next election was Robert Menzies in the mid 1940s. Labor sometimes keep defeated leaders for a while, though it depends on factional maths and such things.
rob in cal
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2010, 12:47:17 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2010, 12:54:23 PM by rob in cal »

Assuming LibNats win one of the last seats still outstanding bringing their total to 73, and since three of the independents are former Nats I believe, doesnt' that point to a pretty strong chance for a 76 seat majority for a Libnat government?  From what I briefly read about these three independents, none of them left the Nationals because they were turning left-ward in their politics, and arent' their seats rural, the type that would be unlikely to elect a Labour candidate? (so if they ended up supporting Labour that would hardly go down well in their district?)
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2010, 12:52:32 PM »

Assuming LibNats win one of the last seats still outstanding, and since three of the independents are former Nats I believe, doesnt' that point to a pretty strong chance for a 76 seat majority for a Libnat government?

The media keep stressing this whole "the INDs left the Nationals for a reason" mantra, so who know. I think, at this point, it's just a waiting game.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2010, 12:56:43 PM »

Windsor hasn't been a National for twenty years.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2010, 01:02:44 PM »

Bob Katter's political positions are more old Labour right - okay antediluvian Labour right - than anything else.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2010, 01:09:05 PM »

since three of the independents are former Nats I believe, doesnt' that point to a pretty strong chance for a 76 seat majority for a Libnat government?

It certainly isn't as easy or straightforward as that.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2010, 01:11:20 PM »

Windsor hasn't been a National for twenty years.
He's never been a National elected officeholder, actually.

Still a center-right man of course.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2010, 01:26:41 PM »

Is Abbott necessary going to get kicked out as Coalition leader even if he lose the negociations though, considering the elction was so close and that Abbott still made a better effort than anyone expected.

That's my guy feeling as well.  The Liberals are cheering Abbott as a hero for turning around their bleak situation from last year.  Even if Labor still "wins" this election, why would they get rid of him now?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2010, 01:27:21 PM »

Canada, the UK and Australia all have hung parliaments now under systems that are designed to prevent such situations.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2010, 01:27:31 PM »

link
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2010, 01:29:26 PM »

How long will the handbags negotiations take?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2010, 01:35:26 PM »

Canada, the UK and Australia all have hung parliaments now under systems that are designed to prevent such situations.

Ironic, isn't it?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2010, 01:42:42 PM »

Ironic, isn't it?

Exactly.

I forgot, India has one as well under FPTP. Tongue The UPA hold 262 of 545 seats.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2010, 01:53:46 PM »

No party has a majority of seats in Zimbabwe's parliament, which is elected using FPTP, either Grin
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2010, 02:17:23 PM »

Yes, though Canada and the UK have had sizable third parties for a while now.  This election in Australia is more like a "tie", in which everything comes down to what a handful of Independents decide to do.  The American analogy would be like having an election in which everything was decided on the basis of who Joe Lieberman and Charlie Crist decide to caucus with.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2010, 02:24:45 PM »

What exactly is Windsor's problem with the Nats?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2010, 02:32:05 PM »

As a citizen of multi-party country, that use a proportional system of the seat distributions, I must say your screams "omg, no majority!" makes me laugh.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2010, 02:34:18 PM »

What exactly is Windsor's problem with the Nats?
They deselected him when they first wanted to run him. Based on some false rumour. He ran as an indy and won anyways. (This was for the State House.) And has continued to do so. I'm not sure there's anything more to it besides him not needing them.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2010, 02:53:58 PM »

As a citizen of multi-party country, that use a proportional system of the seat distributions, I must say your screams "omg, no majority!" makes me laugh.

And I laugh at the crazy coalition building in Germany often....but hey, every country has its problems.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2010, 04:08:07 PM »

And I laugh at the crazy coalition building in Germany often....but hey, every country has its problems.

Haha, luckily in Poland we have a party that was already in every possible coallition (we never had a majority government of course) and shortly before every election is leaving the coallition to have better results, that would enable them to form yet another coalition.

But wait, they're on the straight path to fail to reach a 5% thereshold in 2011.

Now, most likely is PO-SLD Government after 2011. And that's going to be really weird.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2010, 04:27:21 PM »

I will say whatever happens Abbott was the winner of the election. The coalition seemed destined to be in the political wilderness, and he brought it back to become viable again. Unlike the UK where Cameron failed to meat expectations, Abbott exceeded his in preventing Labour from governing in its own right when it appeared that they would have a narrow majority. BTW why is Labour and the third parties doing so well in the senate results?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2010, 04:40:09 PM »

Witter elsewhere please.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2010, 04:51:33 PM »

The Democratic Labor Party that elected a Senator today isn't the same one as the group that allowed the Liberals to recieve the votes of Catholic workers back in the day, is it?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies