"Social peace... depends on prosecut[ing]...graft and tax dodging"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:12:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  "Social peace... depends on prosecut[ing]...graft and tax dodging"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Social peace... depends on prosecut[ing]...graft and tax dodging"  (Read 1004 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2010, 05:03:19 PM »
« edited: August 11, 2010, 05:05:55 PM by Beet »

Protesters angry at corrupt politicians and businessmen have repeatedly stormed parliament in recent months, demanding punishment for those they blame for the crisis. Analysts say social peace in the face of austerity will partly hinge on the government being able to prosecute some high-profile case of graft and tax dodging.

Tax official Tsoukas warns that Athens could lose the battle for hearts and minds if more scandals emerge. "The young had started thinking differently and these latest events have disappointed them," he says. "They ask, if I pay, will my money go to some politician's villa?"

Not if it's up to the tax inspector dressed in pink and her team. "They really could never pay us enough for what we do, the hours we put in, the pressure we are under," she said, still at her computer. "But it's all worth it when I see a case go to prosecutors."

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=11372743

Absolutely one of the greatest examples of how economics and politics merge. In Greece, arguably the crux of the world economy at the moment, everything depends on whether the government has credibility. Everything depends on whether tax cheats will be taken care of, yet at the same time not too many scandals emerging. Demonstration of utter seriousness and effectiveness on this matter in the face of bribery of public officials is a political matter, a matter of political will. Market models couldn't be less relevant.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 08:34:36 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scapegoating#The_.22scapegoat_mechanism.22_in_philosophical_anthropology
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 11:16:27 PM »

Wow. Amazing.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 01:32:19 AM »

Barely the tip of the iceberg, Beet.  I'm thrilled to see Girard's work mentioned on this forum (perhaps the intellectual spirit isn't dead here).  I highly suggest you give it a due perusal; perhaps start with I See Satan Fall Like Lightning or Things Hidden Since The Foundation of The World.

His work is mentioned, though the wikipedia excerpt linked to merely describes a process of scapegoating which every 10 year old is already familiar with. The more fascinating aspects of the summaries of Girard's work I have found pertain to his application of the idea to Christianity and how it has influenced Christian civilization. But Greece is a Christian civilization.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 03:07:46 PM »

certainly even in Christian (or perhaps post-Christian) civilization there is a tendency to relegate the alternative presented by the Christ of the gospels and scapegoating to reemerge. since economics are considered so important in the modern world, it is not surprising that this would be the focus of desire and conflict and thus scapegoating as well.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies