One year ago today...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:50:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  One year ago today...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: One year ago today...  (Read 2168 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 02:32:37 PM »

Home ownership is for riches and dumbs.

Well there are a few exceptions. A buddy of mine moved in with his fiance (now wife) with a high school friend in a house in Minneapolis the friend bought. He never went to college and just worked straight full time out of high school, meaning he had saved up enough in 6 years to buy a house at age 24 with a huge down payment and the pay the rest off fairly quickly (obviously my buddy and his wife paying rent to him helped a lot there too.) But that's quite a special case. Unless you can afford to pay it off completely within 5-10 years there is no reason to buy a house.

That's not true. I bought a house last year -- brand new for a lower-than-average price because it was a) in the country, and b) during the housing slump. I live close to a city that will be the site of a new Homeland Security facility to be built in the next few years; it's also a growing university city that is also close to an Army base.

The bottom line is, people are moving here, and that's only going to increase over time. Granted, my mortgage is higher than I'd pay for rent around here, but it's worth it -- not only do I have an incredibly nice house (and extra rooms that I rent out) to live in for years, but I've got an investment that has a very high probability of being worth tens-of-thousands more in the long run.

Well I noted there are exceptions. It can work if it's planned well as in your case. But too many bought houses just so they could call themselves homeowners. And BushOklahoma clearly falls into this category. Now how many of those people in the last 3 years have been foreclosed and would've been far better off if they never bothered with homeownership?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 09:33:49 PM »

114 days ago, I moved into my current house. I just wanted to share that very interesting nugget of information about my captivating life with you.

You are too young and immature to fully comprehend the sense of accomplishment, joy and security that comes with owning a home.

BushOklahoma, congratulations.

Please stop answering my posts because you're on my ignore list. Makes it easier for you and me. Thanks!

Hash, yes, I also can't resist a "show" button Tongue

I'll respond to whatever posts I like.  You can't stop me.  What?  You guys can't ignore me because you actually care to see what I've said about you guys and on various topics.  Thanks I'm flattered!

Anyway, your post was off topic.  I have reported it to the moderators.  This post, along with your post in the atlas section telling me to swallow a shotgun, should get you a nice ten points...that is, if your Democrat moderator groupies decide to be fair and balanced.

This post is here for everyone to see what FAIRNESS means in the report/moderation policy.  Let's see what happens!

Shut up.

Telling ECR to shut up is just like telling firing squad to stop aiming at your heart.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 08:10:27 AM »

I've been in my house 9,125 days.  When I hit 10,000. we'll have an Atlas Party. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies