Israel, Big Money and Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:17:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Israel, Big Money and Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Israel, Big Money and Obama  (Read 1409 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2010, 02:23:06 PM »

Freedom Rider: Israel, Big Money and Obama
Wed, 08/18/2010 - 15:52 — Margaret Kimberley

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Those who think a war with Iran is off the table under the Obama regime are in for a rude awakening. No matter who is in the White House, the same Zionist lobby will be dictating U.S. foreign policy just as it has for decades. Obama is eager to please them.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 03:23:24 PM »

I just love that blue star design. It's awesome!  Smiley
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 03:32:08 PM »

Dave Dees is a HP.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 12:27:19 AM »

US foreign policy: The new blood libel!
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 02:05:24 PM »

US foreign policy: The new blood libel!

Because only an antisemitic person would oppose U.S. nannying of Israel!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 02:37:39 PM »

Morgan, I'm no big Israel fan but to be fair they are angels compared to their neighbors.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 02:43:05 PM »

Morgan, I'm no big Israel fan but to be fair they are angels compared to their neighbors.

No, they're far worse.  I mean, you dislike carpetbaggers, right?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 02:45:09 PM »

I'm no big South Africa fan, but, to be fair, they're angels compared to their neighbors.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 02:48:36 PM »

I'm no big South Africa fan, but, to be fair, they're angels compared to their neighbors.

Except they really weren't either.. but good point.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 02:50:03 PM »

Very true worm.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 02:56:10 PM »

Surely worm meant that as a sarcastic critique of your rationale, States?  I mean, no one could possibly defend racist south africa, and your defense of Isreal is the same..
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 09:17:27 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2010, 09:21:22 PM by Northeast Representative Morgan »

I don't care to get into the Israel-Palestine debate - I just wish they would be treated as a country like any other, rather than the 51st State.  The aid we send to the country damages their economy, and the fact that we legislate for them on many situations is detrimental to their sovereignty, so for me it's not just anti-Israeli sentiment.  I don't really even know if I dislike Israel or not.  Both sides of the issue are just so biased, it's hard for me to really decide.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 10:05:37 PM »

If Obama strikes against a maniacal oppressive terror-sponsoring regime that wants to wipe an American ally off the map, I think he'll have the support of the vast majority of Americans. The Israel lobby is not that influential with Obama -  do you think a Zionist puppet administration would have condemned the building of setlements in the West Bank?
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 11:30:18 PM »

The Israel lobby is not that influential with Obama -  do you think a Zionist puppet administration would have condemned the building of setlements in the West Bank?

Do you think that condemnation was worth anything considering the aide goes on undisturbed? If I were in a zionist supporter's shoes, I'd want at least some criticism to come from them, to give the appearance that it's not one dimensional.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 03:04:56 AM »

...The aid we send to the country damages their economy...

Isn't their economy just a dependency on American aid and remittances from Jews in the USA?
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 03:40:47 AM »

Isn't their economy just a dependency on American aid and remittances from Jews in the USA?

No, they have a large high-tech sector.  They develop pharmaceuticals and microchips, among other things.  The Intel Core series processors were developed there, I believe.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 07:38:14 AM »

No, they have a large high-tech sector.  They develop pharmaceuticals and microchips, among other things.  The Intel Core series processors were developed there, I believe.

Yes, U.S. aid certainly backstops their having an enormous and well-equipped military, but the Israeli economy does just fine on its own. The days of U.S. Jews supporting poor Zionist pioneers on kibbutzim went out almost two generations ago, although I remember raising money to plant trees in Hebrew School.

There are many Thai guest workers in Israel.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 07:59:53 AM »

No, they have a large high-tech sector.  They develop pharmaceuticals and microchips, among other things.  The Intel Core series processors were developed there, I believe.

Yes, U.S. aid certainly backstops their having an enormous and well-equipped military, but the Israeli economy does just fine on its own. The days of U.S. Jews supporting poor Zionist pioneers on kibbutzim went out almost two generations ago, although I remember raising money to plant trees in Hebrew School.

There are many Thai guest workers in Israel.

Backstops, or nearly fully funds their enormous and well-equipped military?  Sure their economy is good with us picking up the military tab.

(Oh and I think there are still plenty of Jews here sending money back home, but I can't prove it)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 10:55:22 AM »

Backstops, or nearly fully funds their enormous and well-equipped military?  Sure their economy is good with us picking up the military tab.

Israeli GDP is $200 billion, U.S. military aid is $3 billion, or 1.5%.  Most of that is spent here, so it's mainly a subsidy for U.S. military contractors at taxpayer expense with Israel as a benefactor. Economic aid ended some years ago. If all U.S. military aid was turned off tomorrow, the nature of the Israeli military would change, but it would still involve huge numbers of the country's young people bearing guns and the standard of living wouldn't decline much (unless it led directly to an invasion or something which is unlikely.) U.S. military aid didn't start until the Six-Day War, I believe--before then it was mostly from France.

You may be reading an intent to minimize into the word "backstop" that isn't there. Perhaps I'm using the word wrong.

Lots of American Jews send money to Israel, but I suspect it mostly goes to their pet projects, such as buildings in East Jerusalem and settlements. It's not going to the government so much or to individuals like Alaska's oil dividend.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 10:58:41 AM »

Backstops, or nearly fully funds their enormous and well-equipped military?  Sure their economy is good with us picking up the military tab.

Israeli GDP is $200 billion, U.S. military aid is $3 billion, or 1.5%.  Most of that is spent here, so it's mainly a subsidy for U.S. military contractors at taxpayer expense with Israel as a benefactor. Economic aid ended some years ago. If all U.S. military aid was turned off tomorrow, the nature of the Israeli military would change, but it would still involve huge numbers of the country's young people bearing guns and the standard of living wouldn't decline much (unless it led directly to an invasion or something which is unlikely.) U.S. military aid didn't start until the Six-Day War, I believe--before then it was mostly from France.

You may be reading an intent to minimize into the word "backstop" that isn't there. Perhaps I'm using the word wrong.

Lots of American Jews send money to Israel, but I suspect it mostly goes to their pet projects, such as buildings in East Jerusalem and settlements. It's not going to the government so much or to individuals like Alaska's oil dividend.

Yeah, and I wasn't trying to nitpick.  I agree with your last 2 sentences as well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies