US Regions - Pennsylvania
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:02:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US Regions - Pennsylvania
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: In which region do you consider Pennsylvania would better fit ?
Northeast (red region)
Rust Belt (blue region)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: US Regions - Pennsylvania  (Read 3374 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2010, 01:57:56 PM »

As I said, I've decided to run a poll for each remaining State not allocated to a region (see the thread "dividing US into regions" for more details). So, let's start this series of polls with Pennsylvania.
Here are the two regions materialized on maps, in order to avoid confusion (light shades mean hypothetical).

Northeast :

Rust Belt :

Please try to think about these options out of their context : the question isn't about the regions themselves, just about Pennsylvania.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 02:02:49 PM »

Western Half of PA-Rust Belt or less Perjoratively-Midwest/Old Northwest/Great lakes

Southeastern PA-Midatlantic/northeast...Boswash

The remainder really doesn't fit either of these nicely, though could be lumped together with a decent amount of Upstate NY.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 02:07:02 PM »

Western Half of PA-Rust Belt or less Perjoratively-Midwest/Old Northwest/Great lakes

The remainder really doesn't fit either of these nicely, though could be lumped together with a decent amount of Upstate NY.

That's how I feel, and the big discrepancy in population between the parts of Pennsylvania dictated a vote for the northeast.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 02:08:01 PM »

The point here is about making a choice. A choice that will necessarily be imperfect or unexact, but that you consider as, say, the less worse solution.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 02:08:36 PM »

That depends on whether you view Pennsylvania as Philladelphia or Pittsburgh.  Philly and most of Eastern PA belong with the Northeast.  The Allentown area is fast becoming an exurb of New York City and Philadelphia.  Even Scranton has always had a large NYC influence, providing coal for its homes and offices, and is probably more Southern European influenced than Eastern European.  Pittsburgh and most of the rest of the state belongs in the rust belt.  

The general dividing line is probably the Susquehanna River - which ought to extend into Upstate New York, as well.  Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse have more in common with the Rust Belt than the Northeast.  Albany is in NYC's circle of dominance in part because of the crooks we send up there.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 02:09:36 PM »

The general dividing line is probably the Susquehanna River - which ought to extend into Upstate New York, as well.  Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse have more in common with the Rust Belt than the Northeast.  Albany is in NYC's circle of dominance in part because of the crooks we send up there.

So true.  A+++++

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 02:10:54 PM »

That's how I feel, and the big discrepancy in population between the parts of Pennsylvania dictated a vote for the northeast.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 02:20:53 PM »

The point here is about making a choice. A choice that will necessarily be imperfect or unexact, but that you consider as, say, the less worse solution.

Well, overall, I think Philly outweighs Pittsburgh these days, and would choose Northeast - just like NYC outweighs Upstate NY.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 02:37:18 PM »

The Northeast goes all the way down to Washington but doesn't include CT, RI, MA? If you're going to use a liberal definition of Northeast, it ought to at least include the whole BosWash corridor. Connecticut should certainly be grouped with NYC before Pennsylvania is.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 02:40:37 PM »

The Northeast goes all the way down to Washington but doesn't include CT, RI, MA? If you're going to use a liberal definition of Northeast, it ought to at least include the whole BosWash corridor. Connecticut should certainly be grouped with NYC before Pennsylvania is.

Then you end up with 20+% of the country's population in one region.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 02:47:56 PM »

That's the main problem. One could think about including New England in Northeast, but that makes it a far too big region. If the Northeast doesn't have PA, then it's possible to consider merging the two regions.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 02:53:43 PM »

Well it makes more sense to separate Pennsylvania than it does to break up the NYC tri-state area. NYC is closer to Boston than it is to Washington.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 03:09:30 PM »

Well it makes more sense to separate Pennsylvania than it does to break up the NYC tri-state area. NYC is closer to Boston than it is to Washington.

Both PA and NY need to be split somehow.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 03:17:29 PM »

I voted for the Northeast, but this is a very difficult decision. As has been stated before, the ideal solution is a split along the Susquehanna River.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 04:51:46 PM »

If New England and the "Northeast" or "Mid-Atlantic" are viewed as separate regions, then Connecticut is another state that needs to be split, with at least Fairfield County going into the Northeast, as it is in the NY TV Market.  I'd add Litchfield and New Haven Counties to the Northeast too, or do a split roughly along the Quinnipiac River.  Hartford is more New England. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 04:56:04 PM »

We're ruling out state splits for this particular exercise, right?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 05:15:15 PM »

Pennsylvania really should be divided in half. Philadelphia is a very much Northeastern city. Pittsburgh on the other hand is very much industrial midwestern in its mindset.

That's why there should've been a Westsylvania. Philly and Pittsburgh are so far apart in mindset that it's almost like two different states.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 08:35:17 PM »

I vote for the Northeast - particularly if thought of as the Mid-Atlantic to distinguish it from New England. I certainly agree that Pittsburgh and the surrounding area is more like OH, but that's the smaller population side of the state, and it's losing ground due to slower growth than the eastern end.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 10:05:53 PM »

So true.  A+++++

I agree.

In terms of electoral vote rankings, it has to be firmly in the Northwest, or southern Northwest, or mid-Atlantic.

Different regions in the state, however, do not behave as part of the Northwest. 

The reason is because the Southeast Pennsylvania region is very heavily Democratic in voting patterns.  As late as 1988, it wasn't.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 04:48:44 AM »

So true.  A+++++

I agree.

In terms of electoral vote rankings, it has to be firmly in the Northwest, or southern Northwest, or mid-Atlantic.

Different regions in the state, however, do not behave as part of the Northwest. 

The reason is because the Southeast Pennsylvania region is very heavily Democratic in voting patterns.  As late as 1988, it wasn't.

I can see putting northwest once on accident, but lol....

Anyway, as has been said different parts of PA can fit into each region, but due to the fact Philly has more influence overall than Pittsburgh I would put it in the northeast.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 06:23:57 PM »

So true.  A+++++

I agree.

I can see putting northwest once on accident, but lol....

Anyway, as has been said different parts of PA can fit into each region, but due to the fact Philly has more influence overall than Pittsburgh I would put it in the northeast.

Just wrote it wrong ang copied it.  Northeast, obviously, in terms of the state as a whole.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 05:41:31 AM »

I'm voting Northeast, as I agree with the fact the Philadelphia area prevails over the Pittsburgh one.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 09:51:31 AM »

I voted Rustbelt, as I perceive Philadelphia as quite depressed, even though thoroughly northeastern in terms of culture and politics.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 05:32:32 PM »

I voted Rustbelt, as I perceive Philadelphia as quite depressed, even though thoroughly northeastern in terms of culture and politics.

Philadelphia itself may be a bit depressed, but the suburbs are booming. Southwestern Pennsylvania is declining much more rapidly.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 05:49:42 PM »

Northeast, but definite Rust Belt characteristics.`Even in the Eastern part of PA.  You could easily argue parts of NJ, NY, DE, and MD are Rust Belt states.  PA would arguably be the strongest of them however.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies