US Regions - Utah
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:14:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US Regions - Utah
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: In which region do you consider Utah would better fit ?
Big Sky (red region)
Southwest (blue region)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: US Regions - Utah  (Read 1071 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2010, 03:49:40 PM »

And finally, the last one ! Tongue

Here are the two regions materialized on maps, in order to avoid confusion (light shades mean hypothetical). As usual.

Big Sky :

Southwest :

Please try to think about these options, bla bla bla...
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:29:11 PM »

I voted Big Sky. While this makes the Southwest less than appealing visually, Utah's center of population is far north in the state (about halfway between Salt Lake City and Provo), and that area is more similar culturally and politically to places like Idaho and Wyoming than much of the Southwest.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 04:37:24 PM »

'Big Sky' easily. Utah doesn't have the Hispanic population of the others, nor does it have the culture and sociology of the others.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 04:51:17 PM »

I voted southwest because like those states, it is overwhelmingly urban and suburban, with water issues a major factor. Utah will always be unique so it's a choice of which direction you choose to compromise in. It seems wrong to sever it from Idaho, but conversely it has far more in common with Arizona than it does with Montana.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:20:50 PM »

I agree with this quote exactly, and I voted for Big Sky.

I voted Big Sky. While this makes the Southwest less than appealing visually, Utah's center of population is far north in the state (about halfway between Salt Lake City and Provo), and that area is more similar culturally and politically to places like Idaho and Wyoming than much of the Southwest.

Of course I would put CO in the Big Sky as well and the picture would look nicer, but that wasn't an option here. Tongue

I voted southwest because like those states, it is overwhelmingly urban and suburban, with water issues a major factor. Utah will always be unique so it's a choice of which direction you choose to compromise in. It seems wrong to sever it from Idaho, but conversely it has far more in common with Arizona than it does with Montana.

In response to this view I would note that water is a big issue in ID and WY as well. As Boise grows in the coming decades, I expect it to have the kind of urban population you associate with UT. The spillover from Utah's Mormon culture has been to ID more than any other state, so they really should stay together as your gut seems to suggest.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 05:16:48 AM »

Of course I would put CO in the Big Sky as well and the picture would look nicer, but that wasn't an option here. Tongue

Eh, Colorado was a tough call for me, but the only way to create a consistent Southwest region was to include Colorado. I'm following a "4-10 States rule" in order to avoid disproportionate regions.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 07:26:54 AM »

Eh, Colorado was a tough call for me, but the only way to create a consistent Southwest region was to include Colorado. I'm following a "4-10 States rule" in order to avoid disproportionate regions.

That wouldn't be a problem if you put TX in the Southwest. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 07:36:52 AM »

That wouldn't be a problem if you put TX in the Southwest. Smiley

True, n this case it would make Colorado in play.

If you want, you can also discuss Colorado in this thread, and I will consider the possibility of putting it into BS, even though I still prefer SW so far.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 05:33:58 AM »

Clearly Big Sky for me.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »