swing states 2008?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:21:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  swing states 2008?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: swing states 2008?  (Read 12547 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2004, 05:59:36 PM »

what will be the swing states for 08?  i know it impossible to tell becayse we dont know who the candidates willbe, nor do we know the main issues in the campaign.

1.  pennsylvania. 
2.  florida
3.  wisconsin
4.  michigan (much more competitive than the dems would have liked)
5.  new jersey.  (yes, i think the republicans, if they play their cards right (always a big if), have a chance at making a run at nj again.)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 06:17:12 PM »

Depends on candidates. Obviously barring "Voinovich for President" Ohio will be a swing state...
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 06:21:04 PM »

Impossible to say, a lot will depend on the type of candidates the party’s select, if the Dems select a southern moderate Warner, Lincoln, Nelson etc.. then states like AR, TN, VA could be in play on the other hand if the Republicans nominate a moderate GOP centrist such as Pataki, Hagel, Snowe etc.. then states like NJ, MI, ME, WA could be in play. On top of all this the state of the economy, the situation abroad all could have an impact that is simply impossible to judge right now.

However some states, I would argue can largely be taken as “solid” for either party…

Democrat “Base States” : 168 EV

Republican “Base States” : 140

Tossups : 230

…and in reality there’s really nothing else that can be said.
danwxman

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 06:21:11 PM »

what will be the swing states for 08?  i know it impossible to tell becayse we dont know who the candidates willbe, nor do we know the main issues in the campaign.

1.  pennsylvania. 
2.  florida
3.  wisconsin
5.  new jersey.  (yes, i think the republicans, if they play their cards right (always a big if), have a chance at making a run at nj again.)

Heh, you just mentioned the Dem states that are vulnerable....Now how about all the Republican states that are:

Florida
Ohio
Iowa
New Mexico
Nevada
Colorado
Missouri
Arkansas
Arizona
Virginia

A strong Democrat could carry all those.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 06:22:17 PM »

Depends on candidates. Obviously barring "Voinovich for President" Ohio will be a swing state...

i disagree.  ohio is pretty republican.  the lousy economy in ohio made it very close this year. 

freewayticket
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 06:27:13 PM »

My top 10 in '08.

1.    Ohio
2.    Florida
3.    Pennsylvania
4.    Wisconsin
5.    Minnesota
6.    Iowa
7.    Michigan
8.    Colorado
9.    New Mexico
10.  Arizona
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 06:28:25 PM »

1.  pennsylvania. 
2.  florida
3.  wisconsin

Heh, you just mentioned the Dem states that are vulnerable....Now how about all the Republican states that are:

Florida
Ohio
Iowa
New Mexico
Nevada
Colorado
Missouri
Arkansas
Arizona
Virginia

yeah.  virginia is a swing state.  weve heard this song before...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 06:31:35 PM »

i disagree.  ohio is pretty republican.  the lousy economy in ohio made it very close this year. 

I don't see it getting much better soon... although seeing as the only part of Ohio I get a lot of news out of is the Upper Ohio Valley (not techinically or even geographically correct, as the Ohio doesn't really have an upper section, due to it being the merger of two other rivers. Oh well. You know what I mean...) which hasn't had economic good times in living memory...
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 06:44:42 PM »

A pro-choice Republican nominee would make Colorado a swing state (among others, MO and VA come to mind).
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 07:00:51 PM »

A socially conservative Democrat opens up the outer edges of the South, like Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Florida, Kentucky (maybe), Virginia (not likely) and parts of the Southwest, like Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada.

A little bit more of a socially liberal Republican opens up parts of the mid-Atlantic, like Delaware, New Jeresy, Connecticut, and places like Maine and New Hampshire and parts of the west coast like Washington and Oregon.  Also this type of person gives the Reps a shot at California and Illinois, which both have socially liberal, yet leaning Republican types of suburbs.

Otherwise, it'll end up just like now.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2004, 07:07:33 PM »

SamSpade, social conservatism plays well in rural Oregon - enough to outvote Portland, perhaps, but it does not in Seattle. Frustratingly to rural Republicans in Washington, the more they like a candidate, the more Seattle hates it. And Seattle will then proceed to outvote them.

I think Washington and Oregon have solidified for the Democrats, and West Virginia for the Republicans. It depends on the candidate in Oregon, though.

Nevada and Colorado will become swing states (Nevada's already there)  because of increased population, especially Hispanic. I note Nevada because it is on its way to becoming an important swing state - not a huge one, but still an interesting one.

Iowa continues to trend Republican. I think it will become a Republican-leaning swing state eventually, but never a Republican stronghold in the near future. Minnesota I think hit its peak in 2000 and will remain slightly Democratic-leaning. Same with Wisconsin.

Michigan's social conservatism could come into play. Same goes for Pennsylvania. New Hampshire is trending Democratic, but not fast enough to make the "solid northeast." Maine's CD1 should remain steady. CD2 will be a toss-up as will, to a lesser extent, the statewide.

I think minority vote will help determine Florida. New Mexico is a case of a combination of the minority vote and whether areas of high Native American/Hispanic population and the big cities outvote the military areas and rural areas. However, looking at a county map, I can't see how Kerry lost New Mexico...so I don't know what to think there.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2004, 07:09:54 PM »

Who are some social conservative Democrats? I don't know of any.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 07:25:27 PM »

Personally, I think that declaring "these states will be swing states; these states will not be" at this time is pointless, since we have no idea.  It depends on what happens in the next four years and on what the Democratic and Republican tickets are.  Under Clinton in 1992, Clinton carried TN, KY, and GA and had NC and even TX within his reach.  Under Kerry in 2004, on the other hand, the swing states were much closer to traditionally strongly Democratic territory and a lot more states were strongly Republican.  It all depends.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2004, 07:31:32 PM »

1.  pennsylvania. 
2.  florida
3.  wisconsin

Florida
Ohio
Iowa
New Mexico
Nevada
Colorado
Missouri
Arkansas
Arizona
Virginia

Of those you mentioned, maybe only Virginia, Arizona, and Colorado can be considered truly Republican.  All of those except Virginia voted for Clinton at least once...it's not as if the Republicans have a lock on them and are now suddenly vulnerable.  That's not true, though, for the Democrat states.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2004, 07:33:31 PM »

Oh, come on. Clinton won Montana, and I think we all know how that happened. Smiley
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2004, 07:35:06 PM »

Oh, come on. Clinton won Montana, and I think we all know how that happened. Smiley

HAHA!  Satan was cold that night, but Montana hasn't lapsed in judgement since.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2004, 07:35:22 PM »

Well, yeah, but it happened, and that was only 16 years ago, so we really have no idea what could be the case come 2008.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2004, 07:36:19 PM »

Well, yeah, but it happened, and that was only 16 years ago, so we really have no idea what could be the case come 2008.

12 years ago, Gabu!  12!  You're making us all older than we really are!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2004, 08:21:28 PM »

Montana just elected a Democratic governor.

Satan sleeps no more in the nothing state.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2004, 08:24:59 PM »

Being a Democrat in Montana probably means not wanting to abolish public schools.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2004, 08:34:37 PM »

Being a Democrat in Montana probably means not wanting to abolish public schools.

Actually, Montana is a very Libertarian state from what I gather. They passed medical marijuana. They went for Clinton in 1992 albeit with insane amounts of help from Perot.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2004, 08:35:50 PM »

Actually, Montana is a very Libertarian state from what I gather. They passed medical marijuana. They went for Clinton in 1992 albeit with insane amounts of help from Perot.

I know. That's the point to the joke.

Democrat = Big Government
Big Government in Montana = Public Schools

Get it? Haha? Nevermind. Smiley
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2004, 08:37:55 PM »

I'm going to take things in a whole new direction.  I'm predicting some moderate changes in both parties in the next four years, and the departure of the most divisive President evar.  The 2008 Swing States:

2004/2008 Swing states:
Maine
New Hampshire
New Mexico
Oregon
Washington

2008 New Swing States:
New Jersey
Connecticut
Tennessee
Arkansas
Texas
California
South Dakota

2004 Swing states that will turn solid Democrat:
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota
Michigan

2004 Swing states that will turn solid Republican:
Florida
Missouri
Colorado
Nevada

I think that covers them all...
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2004, 08:38:56 PM »

I know. That's the point to the joke.

Democrat = Big Government
Big Government in Montana = Public Schools

Get it? Haha? Nevermind. Smiley

I got it, heh.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2004, 08:40:44 PM »

I'm going to take things in a whole new direction.  I'm predicting some moderate changes in both parties in the next four years, and the departure of the most divisive President evar.  The 2008 Swing States:

2004/2008 Swing states:
Maine
New Hampshire
New Mexico
Oregon
Washington

2008 New Swing States:
New Jersey
Connecticut
Tennessee
Arkansas
Texas
California
South Dakota

2004 Swing states that will turn solid Democrat:
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota
Michigan

2004 Swing states that will turn solid Republican:
Florida
Missouri
Colorado
Nevada

I think that covers them all...

Wow...South Dakota? What exactly is going to be happening here?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies