RISK Domination VII: Finished!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:39:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  RISK Domination VII: Finished!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Author Topic: RISK Domination VII: Finished!!  (Read 30020 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2010, 04:43:26 PM »
« edited: December 27, 2010, 04:17:42 PM by Joe Republic »

Welcome to the (long-awaited) return of Atlas Forum RISK!  Six generals will battle it out to defeat their opponents and conquer the entire United States; using strategy, smarts, brute strength, and a healthy dose of 'risk'.

The six generals who will be playing in this game are (in no particular order): The Mikado, Marokai Blue, Fezzyfestoon, Bacon King, Gustaf and Jas.  The winner will be permitted to stay on and defend their championship title in the next game.

There are only a few main differences between this version of RISK and the traditional version, which will be detailed below.

The map

N.B.: I've misplaced the image files I used for the previous games, but they were rather unwieldy anyway so I've decided not to replace them.  Instead I'll be using Dave's forum-based map generator.  This has forced a few changes, hopefully not too dramatically.

The biggest difference is clearly the map we'll be using.  Instead of 42 territories in the world, our map is based on the 48 contiguous states of the US.  This difference has forced a few more rules to change; e.g. the number of initial deployments, the number and layout of the regions, etc.

For clarification, no border exists between Utah and New Mexico and between Arizona and Colorado (the 'Four Corners'); there is no border between Massachusetts and Maine; and there is a border between Delaware and New Jersey.

Here is the map showing the layout and bonus value of the regions (which will be explained later):

Starting the game

The states will be distributed randomly, and the method by which the battalions are deployed will be explained in one of the next few posts.

To begin with, all players will be given 25 battalions each to deploy among their states at the start of the game.  All battalions must be deployed, and each state must contain at least 1 battalion (at all times throughout the game).

Taking a turn

As in the traditional game, each player's turn is divided up into three stages, which must be performed in order:

1. Reinforcements

Each player will receive a number of battalions equal to their number of states divided by three, rounded to the closest whole number.  A minimum of three battalions is granted even if that formula would equal less than three.  So, for example, if a player controls 11 states, they'll get 4 reinforcements (11/3 = 3.7).

For easy reference:

10 states or fewer = 3 reinforcements
11-13 states = 4 reinforcements
14-16 states = 5 reinforcements
17-19 states = 6 reinforcements
20-22 states = 7 reinforcements
And so on.

Players will also receive a bonus number of reinforcements if they control any of the regions as shown in the map above at this point of their turn.  The number of reinforcements they'll receive depends on which region(s) they control, and those numbers are given in the table in the map itself.

Players may also trade in any sets of cards at this point too.  Cards will be explained in more depth later.  This is the only stage of your turn in which you may trade in cards.

2. Attack

Since this is a message board based game, I've had to employ a slightly different method to ensure that attack phases are performed efficiently and as quickly as possible.

All you need to do in this stage is post how many battalions you're sending to attack a neighboring state, how many of them you're willing to risk losing before calling a retreat, and how many battalions you want to leave in that state if you conquer it.

On that last part, you'll need to leave a minimum of three battalions there; if you attacked with less than three battalions, then you'll just have to keep however many battalions you used there.  Unless you specify how many battalions you're putting in your conquered state, I'll assume you want the maximum there.  If you say that your attack order is to "do or die", then there will be no retreat and the maximum number of battalions will be left in the conquered state.

You may attack as many states as you want during this stage, or none at all if you wish.  But always remember to leave at least 1 battalion in each of your states at all times.

If you conquer at least one state during this stage, you'll receive one card.  You will not receive any more than one card per turn, unless you destroy an opponent; in which case you receive any cards they were holding as well.

The dice rolls are performed using an online random number generator, found here.  You'll just have to trust me that I'll do it fairly. Smiley

3. Tactical Move

Once you've finished your attack phase, you may perform a tactical move if you wish.  You can move as many battalions as you want from one of your states to one neighboring state (remembering to leave one battalion behind, of course).  You may only perform one tactical move each turn.

Cards

Cards work on exactly the same principle as in the traditional version.  In this version, each card represents one of the 48 states, and a RISK figurine (either an infantryman, cavalry, or cannon).  In addition to the 48 state cards, there are two wildcards.

Once you've collected a 'set' of three cards, you may trade them in at your next turn for more reinforcements.  A set of cards can be: three infantrymen (worth four extra battalions); three cavalry (worth six extra battalions); three cannons (worth eight extra battalions); or one of each (worth ten extra battalions).

On trading in your cards, you'll receive an additional 2 battalions for each card that represents a state that you control.  Those battalions will only be placed in that particular state.

The wildcards do not represent any state, and are simply a stand-in figurine in order to make any set of three cards.

Cards are dealt randomly, and the state represented on each one will not have any deliberate connection with states you conquered during that turn.

Your cards will be sent to you by PM, and it is your responsibility to keep them secret.  I'll be keeping a record of who has what card, for organization's sake.

Clarifications of rules

I've tried to make sure everything is clear here.  However, if you want me to clarify any of the above rules, I'll be happy to do so. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 04:43:55 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2010, 04:45:36 PM by Joe Republic »

First map

Here's the first map, displaying each player's randomly distributed states:

GENERALS

[1]  The Mikado

[2]  Jas

[3]  Fezzyfestoon

[4]  Gustaf

[5]  Bacon King

[6]  Marokai Blue

The next step is for you all to decide how you want your initial 25 battalions to be deployed.  As you can see, I've already taken the liberty of placing 1 in each state for you, which leaves you with 17 to deploy wherever you please.

The order of turns has been decided randomly, and is shown on the map.

Instructions

Please send me a PM with your deployment orders for your first 4 battalions.  I'll then post an updated map, and we'll repeat.

Do not post your deployments here.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 05:01:31 PM »

Gustaf has a really good position.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 05:05:11 PM »

Gustaf has a really good position.

Tell me about it.  Not only can he seal up the West coast in the first turn, he can make his offensive borders Idaho, Nevada, and Arizona.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 05:10:49 PM »

I ended up with less than desirable initial placement. Unlike a few others, I'm not concentrated in much of anywhere. Tongue
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 05:23:14 PM »

I ended up with less than desirable initial placement. Unlike a few others, I'm not concentrated in much of anywhere. Tongue

Might as well put them all on Vermont and rule New England.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 06:11:55 PM »

In my experience the initial state distribution doesn't really make much of a difference. If everyone is smart, everyone goes for their own region anyway and conquering an extra state here or there doesn't make much of a difference.

I just hope I don't get Mikadoed this time.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 06:27:50 PM »

It's been literally years since our last game; remind us of that definition again?  Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 06:38:22 PM »

It's been literally years since our last game; remind us of that definition again?  Smiley

He randomly brought his troops across the entire map just to try and destroy me with the motivation that by going after a strong player he would instill respect from the other players. It damn near wiped me out on the first round.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 06:41:21 PM »

As I recall, I was substituting for someone else who had already placed units and placed all 18 on Ohio.  I wasn't going to win in the middle of the map like that, so I thought I'd steal the Pacific.

Don't worry, Gustaf.  That won't happen this time.  Fezzy's much closer, I'll suicide into him instead.  Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 01:28:21 AM »

Marokai's position reminds me of my own from when I played.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 09:30:46 PM »

Just waiting on Fezzy, who hasn't been online since Friday...
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 10:24:17 PM »

It's Fezzy.  Put them all in New Jersey.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 10:46:15 PM »

It's Fezzy.  Put them all in New Jersey.

I'm sure your advice is meant genuinely. Tongue
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 10:02:49 PM »

Second map

GENERALS

[1]  The Mikado

[2]  Jas

[3]  Fezzyfestoon

[4]  Gustaf

[5]  Bacon King

[6]  Marokai Blue

Alright, and now the next 4 deployment instructions by PM, please.  Smiley
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 10:08:23 PM »

Second map

GENERALS

[1]  The Mikado

[2]  Jas

[3]  Fezzyfestoon

[4]  Gustaf

[5]  Bacon King

[6]  Marokai Blue

Alright, and now the next 4 deployment instructions by PM, please.  Smiley

New England will be fun.

Who will blink?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 10:37:38 PM »

Disasterrific.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 01:05:53 AM »

Not me. Every last man will be going to New Hampshire - live free or die!

fezzy's distribution is surprising given his reasonably coherent southern possessions. I had hoped that Marokai would concentrate somewhere else, but oh well...
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 01:10:44 AM »

Not me. Every last man will be going to New Hampshire - live free or die!

The Green Mountain Boys will not be intimidated, Mr. Jas!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 12:36:43 AM »

Fezzy is having internet connection issues, and we're still waiting on Bacon King as well.  Both have been online today though... Undecided
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 09:40:17 AM »

Sorry guys, I'm trying! Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 11:04:52 AM »

Sorry, I've been really sick through most of the past week and haven't really been on the forum at all.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 01:16:49 PM »

Third map

GENERALS

[1]  The Mikado

[2]  Jas

[3]  Fezzyfestoon

[4]  Gustaf

[5]  Bacon King

[6]  Marokai Blue

Again, and now the next 4 deployment instructions by PM, please.  Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 01:17:14 PM »

Sorry, I've been really sick through most of the past week and haven't really been on the forum at all.

Sorry to hear that, I hope you're feeling better now.  Sad
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 01:27:49 PM »

Sorry to hear that, I hope you're feeling better now.  Sad

I've still got a bit of a cough, but it's mostly over with Smiley I was afraid I had gotten mono, as a couple of friends have gotten it recently, but thankfully it seems like all I had was a bad cold.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies