Who is Democratic and who is Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:56:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who is Democratic and who is Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who is Democratic and who is Republican?  (Read 1746 times)
Shira

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2004, 06:07:11 AM »

When we want to decide the type and characteristic of a state as to how Democratic or Republican this state is, we have to compare the numbers of that state to the national numbers of the same election. In 2004 we should subtract 51.07 (Bush's national number) from the number Bush got in a state.  I have done these calculations and compared it to 2000. Here are some of the numbers.
(These  are Bush’s numbers in a state minus his national one)

WY 17.90%. Was 20.71% in 2000
(this means that in 2004 Bush got in WY 17.9% above his national number)
AL 11.45%.  Was 8.55% in 2000
SD 8.80%. Was 13.05% in 2000
KY 8.50%. Was 8.47% in 2000 (very stable)
NC 5.10%. Was 8.03% in 2000
WV 5.00%. Was 4.11% in 2000
VA 2.80%. Was 4.17% in 2000 (almost a Dem state)
CO 1.60%. Was 3.05% in 2000 (like VA)
FL 1.20%. Was 0.84% in 2000 (Improvement for Reps)
OH -0.10%. Was +2.24% in 2000 (The numbers in 2004 were the closest to the national ones)
NV -0.5%. Was 2.00% in 2000
NM -0.90%. Was -0.45% in 2000
NH -1.10%.  Was +0.23% in 2000.
PA -2.30%. Was -1.54% in 2000
NJ -4.50%. Was -8.01% in 2000 (became less Democratic)
HI -5.70%. Was -10.55% in 2000
ME -6.00%. Was -3.65% in 2000
CT -7.00%. Was -9.54% in 2000
MD -8.10%. Was -8.12% in 2000 (very stable)
NY  -10.50%. Was -12.61% in 2000
MA -14.00. Was -15.39% in 2000 (despite Bush's improvement it’s the most Democratic state)

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 06:22:02 AM »

Here's an interesting little fact:

In 2000 the % of WV voters [ie: those who actually voted]who were Democrats was 47%

In 2004 it was 50%
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 06:59:57 AM »

So Wyoming is getting less Republican (hard not to)

AL more Rep.

SD more Dem.

NC more Dem.

VA less Rep.

CO less Rep.

NJ more Rep.

HI more Rep.

These are some of the more major swings that your chart shows Shira.  These look like trends that could continue for a while. 

There are lots of new interesting statistics from the election to digest.  More people voted for the most liberal Senator in America to be President than voted for Carter, or Reagan, or Bush 41, or even Clinton.  That gives me hope for the future.  Kerry is very liberal, and we came quite close with him.  With a more dynamic candidate who knows...

fb

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 07:03:20 AM »

AL more Rep.

SD more Dem.

NC more Dem.

VA less Rep.

CO less Rep.

NJ more Rep.

HI more Rep.

These are some of the more major swings that your chart shows Shira.  These look like trends that could continue for a while. 

There are lots of new interesting statistics from the election to digest.  More people voted for the most liberal Senator in America to be President than voted for Carter, or Reagan, or Bush 41, or even Clinton.  That gives me hope for the future.  Kerry is very liberal, and we came quite close with him.  With a more dynamic candidate who knows...

fb

A more dyamic candidate might help, but I hope the Democratic party sticks with the principles Kerry so well represented, and doesn't try to adopt a lighter version of GOP intolerance.  I think what will get a liberal elected in a few cycles will be two fold - women dying in back alley abortions, and the utter impoverishment of the bottom 80% of society.  And both are very, very close.
Shira

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 07:06:13 AM »

AL more Rep.

SD more Dem.

NC more Dem.

VA less Rep.

CO less Rep.

NJ more Rep.

HI more Rep.

fb

He has done some very serious mistakes.
Shira

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 07:17:03 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2004, 12:02:55 AM by Shira »

AL more Rep.

SD more Dem.

NC more Dem.

VA less Rep.

CO less Rep.

NJ more Rep.

HI more Rep.

fb

A more dyamic candidate might help, but I hope the Democratic party sticks with the principles Kerry so well represented, and doesn't try to adopt a lighter version of GOP intolerance.  I think what will get a liberal elected in a few cycles will be two fold - women dying in back alley abortions, and the utter impoverishment of the bottom 80% of society.  And both are very, very close.

We have a big problem with the red states.

Many there are close to the poverty line and without proper health care.
They won't believe you if you tell them that in Canada or in the UK, for example, everyone is insured.

Instead, they are very upset with the "Gay Marriage" crap and they have no doubts that Sadam is the bad guy who is responsible for 9/11.
It is very hard to run a modern state with this kind of population.

J-Mann
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004, 08:58:07 AM »

AL more Rep.

SD more Dem.

NC more Dem.

VA less Rep.

CO less Rep.

NJ more Rep.

HI more Rep.

fb

They believe you if you tell them that in Canada or in the UK, for example, everyone is insured.

Instead, they are very upset with the "Gay Marriage" crap and they have no doubts that Sadam is the bad guy who is responsible for 9/11.

And it's very hard to come together with psuedo-intellectual Easterners telling us how wrong we are.  That's the way you want to play the game, Shira?  Get used to losing elections then.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2004, 09:04:22 AM »

AL more Rep.

SD more Dem.

NC more Dem.

VA less Rep.

CO less Rep.

NJ more Rep.

HI more Rep.

fb

They believe you if you tell them that in Canada or in the UK, for example, everyone is insured.

We have a problem with the blue states.

Filled with people who think Bush lied about WMDs, don't understand the free market and economics, open to class warfare, and don't realize that taxing corporations adds to the price of the products you buy.

They don't realize that Social Security and Medicare are useless (which, of course, they are) and they think the UN is important (ahahahaha).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies