Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 21, 2014, 04:48:08 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Forum Community (Moderators: afleitch, Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC, Badger)
| | |-+  Would you rather live in Fargo, ND or Phoenix, AZ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Poll
Question: Would you rather live in Fargo, ND or Phoenix, AZ?
Fargo, ND   -29 (48.3%)
Phoenix, AZ   -31 (51.7%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Would you rather live in Fargo, ND or Phoenix, AZ?  (Read 548 times)
RosettaStoned
YaBB God
Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 07:49:02 pm »
Ignore

Phoenix, because there is much more to do there.
politicallefty
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 07:30:31 am »
Ignore

Phoenix. It's a big city, so there should at least be stuff to do. I can also easily bear the brutal Phoenix summer. North Dakota's winters seem downright nightmarish.

No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite. - Nelson Mandela
I am stabbed by grace and slinging blood
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 09:18:37 am »
Ignore

I lived through more than 18 North Dakota winters. Its no big deal.

Famous True Leftists:

Christus Victor
Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 10:05:35 am »
Ignore

Fargo, by at least the distance between the two of them.

There is nothing wrong with America that the faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of her citizens cannot cure.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Then he said, 'Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom." -Luke 23:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsjFezL5KdY
TDAS04
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 12:14:44 pm »
Ignore

It's easier to get warm in bitter cold winters than it is to get cool in the extreme heat typical of Phoenix, even with air conditioning. If it's cold, it's fairly easy to get inside, and even outside, you just have to dress warmly enough.  Wearing light enough clothing when it's 120 degrees is a little more difficult.

Also, the argument that you can cool off in Phoenix just by heading for the mountains or ocean is not that convincing.  It takes more than just a few minutes.

Economic:  -2.45
Social:  -6.26
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2014, 01:05:16 pm »
Ignore

Yep, that sums up my thoughts exactly.

Yeah.

Also, the idea that there's only 'stuff to do' in cities of over--what's the cutoff here? Two hundred thousand? Five hundred thousand? More?--people is completely ridiculous and one of my absolute least favorite things that I hear people my age say.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2014, 01:16:44 pm »
Ignore

It's easier to get warm in bitter cold winters than it is to get cool in the extreme heat typical of Phoenix, even with air conditioning. If it's cold, it's fairly easy to get inside, and even outside, you just have to dress warmly enough.  Wearing light enough clothing when it's 120 degrees is a little more difficult.

Also, the argument that you can cool off in Phoenix just by heading for the mountains or ocean is not that convincing.  It takes more than just a few minutes.

I've lived in Arizona and Minnesota and I disagree.

First off, 120 is the all time record high for Phoenix.  If you want to play that game we have to compare 120 to -48, the record low for Fargo.  The summers in Phoenix are really hot, sure.  But, the average day is more like 105.  105 is hot, but it's not 105 all day.  When it's actually 105, you're usually at work or school.  In the morning, it's like 85 at most so it's pretty comfortable considering the lack of humidity.  If you get up early, you can be outside comfortably, there's no parallel for that in a Fargo winter.

Cold winters also create all these problems like de-icing your windshield, shoveling snow, your car not starting because it's too cold, your car rusting from salt on the streets, driving in snow and ice, lack of vitamin D and sunshine, not being able to exercise outside.  And, just in terms of physical discomfort, 0 degrees is fifty times worse than 100 degrees.

On the proximity to cooler climates point, I mean you can take a quick weekend trip to the beach or mountains during the hot summer months.
Senator TNF
TNF
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2014, 01:31:23 pm »
Ignore

Fargo.

patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2014, 01:59:19 pm »
Ignore

Phoenix, especially so after this winter.  I hate the cold and snow now.
TDAS04
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2014, 02:09:49 pm »
Ignore

I've lived in Arizona and Minnesota and I disagree.

First off, 120 is the all time record high for Phoenix.  If you want to play that game we have to compare 120 to -48, the record low for Fargo.  The summers in Phoenix are really hot, sure.  But, the average day is more like 105.  105 is hot, but it's not 105 all day.  When it's actually 105, you're usually at work or school.  In the morning, it's like 85 at most so it's pretty comfortable considering the lack of humidity.  If you get up early, you can be outside comfortably, there's no parallel for that in a Fargo winter.

Cold winters also create all these problems like de-icing your windshield, shoveling snow, your car not starting because it's too cold, your car rusting from salt on the streets, driving in snow and ice, lack of vitamin D and sunshine, not being able to exercise outside.  And, just in terms of physical discomfort, 0 degrees is fifty times worse than 100 degrees.

On the proximity to cooler climates point, I mean you can take a quick weekend trip to the beach or mountains during the hot summer months.

I am more comfortable in 0 degrees than I am in 100 degrees (as long as I'm bungled up in the cold).  When it's -20, you're also likely to be at work or school, and the buildings are kept warm.

As someone who enjoys brisk walks, even 80 is not very comfortable for walking a mile or two at a fast pace.  It's much easier when it's 30-40 with the proper clothes.

I am aware that Arizona is a "dry heat".  While there may be some advantages over a humid heat, dryness has its own problems, especially when combined with heat.  It's not great for the skin, and I get thirsty easily, especially during the hot months.

The climate here in the Dakotas is great for the majority of the year, with maybe a couple months each for bitter cold and for sweltering heat.  I'd rather not have a daily high in the 80s or higher for a majority of the year.

Senator Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2014, 02:35:53 pm »
Ignore

Really? Even most people I know that like cooler weather prefer 100 degrees to 0 degrees, if they are forced to choose. You must have a lot of natural body heat or someting. Tongue

TDAS04
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2014, 03:12:27 pm »
Ignore

Really? Even most people I know that like cooler weather prefer 100 degrees to 0 degrees, if they are forced to choose. You must have a lot of natural body heat or someting. Tongue

It may be different if I have to be outside.  My house has good heating, even in 0 degrees.  It's harder to keep my place comfortable in 100.

I am stabbed by grace and slinging blood
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2014, 06:42:23 pm »
Ignore

0 degrees is far preferable to 100, no contest. You'd have to go down to about -15F or so for it to become comparable.

Famous True Leftists:

Senator Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2014, 06:44:31 pm »
Ignore

0 degrees is far preferable to 100, no contest. You'd have to go down to about -15F or so for it to become comparable.

You must be talking about Celsius. Wink

bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2014, 06:59:53 pm »
Ignore

Since we're talking about Phoenix, keep in mind, this is 100 with no humidity.  It's really not that bad.  But, I would even take a humid NYC 100 over 0. 

I feel like people tend to adjust to wherever they live anyway though.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout