The Nyman Times
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:01:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Nyman Times
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Nyman Times  (Read 4412 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2010, 10:49:13 AM »

The Nyman Times
A Newspaper of Record

Ladies and Gentleman, it is with much pleasure that I present to you my newest endeavor - a paper that will report news, not just opinions.  It will not be released on a fixed schedule; when there is news, news will be reported.  The paper will try to be biased free (as much as humanly possible).  Even though the paper is being published by the SoEA, do not view this as the official mouthpiece of the Purple State Administration, and everything published here is independent of the Administration and the DoEA.

Expect the first issue to be released today or tomorrow.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:09:22 PM »

Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 10:46:13 PM »

The Nyman Times
A Newspaper of Record
September 3, 2010

SoEA Ben gives speech on Middle East Peace
Secretary of External Affairs Ben, in a speech to the Israeli Knesset, called for the creation of two states, Israel and Palestine, in the Middle East.  In the speech, the Secretary, well known for his support of Israel, did take the country to task, criticizing it for, continuing to settle in the West Bank, while also criticizing Palestine for denying Israel and endorsing terror.

GM Reform passes Senate
The Senate recently passed legislation redefining the role of the GM as it pertains to certain real world events.  The bill, written by Senator NCYankee, mandated that certain categories of real world events be deemed Atlasian events as though dictated by the GM; these include natural disasters, scientific discoveries, foreign events.  The bill does contain one caveat: if events necessary for the event in question to occur were stated to not happen by the GM, then the final event does not happen.

The bill passed 6-0-4, with 4 Senators not voting.

Race for Mideast Governor heating up
The race for Mideast Governor has begun to heat up, with Governor Tmthforu94 receiving his first challenger in the form of NiK, who has previously held a variety of posts within various Governments, both regional and national.  The Governor welcomed NiK into the race, and all signs point to a competitive campaign.  The Nyman Times will be conducting polling, to determine if this race is really as competitive as it would appear.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 08:27:08 PM »

The Nyman Times
A Newspaper of Record
September 3, 2010

GM Reform passes Senate
The Senate recently passed legislation redefining the role of the GM as it pertains to certain real world events.  The bill, written by Senator NCYankee, mandated that certain categories of real world events be deemed Atlasian events as though dictated by the GM; these include natural disasters, scientific discoveries, foreign events.  The bill does contain one caveat: if events necessary for the event in question to occur were stated to not happen by the GM, then the final event does not happen.

The bill passed 6-0-4, with 4 Senators not voting.

Written by the President, sponsored by NCY. Wink
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 08:30:47 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2010, 08:35:08 PM by Secretary of External Affairs Ben »

The Nyman Times
A Newspaper of Record
Correction:

Contrary to what was reported in the September 3, 2010 edition, Senator NCYankee did not write the GM reform bill; it was written by the President, and sponsored by the Senator.  The paper regrets the unfortunate mistake.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 06:46:20 PM »

The Nyman Times
A Newspaper of Record
September 7, 2010

Poll shows Tmthforu94 leading in Mideast Gubernatorial Race
Governor Tmthforu94, the incumbent Governor of the Mideast, leads his opponent NiK according to a recent Nyman Times poll.  The poll, lasting three days, shows the Governor leading his opponent 50-33, with 17% undecided.  The relatively small sample of the poll does call it into question, although it appears early on that the race is still close, as there was only an absolute margin of 2 votes separating the candidates.

NCYankee become PPT presumptive
Senator NCYankee, one of the Senate's longest serving members, is projected to be the next President Pro Tempore of the Senate.  After being the only candidate to declare, the Senator is presumed to have won the post, with some suggesting it should be done by acclamation.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 07:10:36 PM »

The Nyman Times
A Newspaper of Record
September 14, 2010

Breaking News: Al retires
Al, the incumbent GM and one of Atlasia's oldest veterans, announced his retirement in a brief statement.  The former GM declared that he had lost interest in the game, and noted, "The point at which you cease to care is the point at which your involvement should cease. I don't care, and so I am retiring, again."

In a statement on the resignation, President Purple State said, "I answered time and time again that it would be done, that someone would step into the void and fill my shoes...I was wrong and I apologize...I have failed to uphold a standard of the utmost importance to the nation and to myself."

The President has announced an open application period for all interested in the position of GM, and can apply by sending the President a PM expressing interest.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 05:10:17 PM »

The Nyman Times
A Newspaper of Record
September 15, 2010

Mideast Election Endorsements
We are barely 24 hours away from the opening of the voting booths in the Mideast Regional elections.  Two candidates, the incumbent, Tmthforu94, and NiK, a former Assemblyman and SoIA, among other positions, are vying for the Governorship, wrappingup a long running debate with questions from various citizens.  For the Assembly, Barnes, Office Park, A-Bob, Inks, and Hashemite have declared.  With election day so near, the Times feels it is relevant to make some endorsements.

For Governor, the paper endorses the incumbent, Governor Tmthforu94.  As Governor, Tmthforu94 has done an admirable job, remaining an active and involved member of the Region, and the paper is confident that he will continue to remain so, for the next 4 months.

For the Assembly, only 5 candidates are declared, and thus are all elected.  The paper, however, would like to signal out A-Bob for his work on the budget, and for remaining an active member throughout his term.  The Times encourages all voters to give A-Bob a first preference.

Of course, the Times also encourages everyone to just vote, regardless of their actual ballot.  Without voters, a democratic government cannot exist, and so just remember to get out and vote.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 05:14:35 PM »

I would like to extend my gratification to "The Nyman Times" for their endorsement. It is truly a blessing. It's been a great race so for, and I look forward to exciting election results. Regardless to the results of this election and what the future holds, I will always be committed to this region. Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 03:49:28 PM »

The Nyman Times
A Newspaper of Record
September 17, 2010

Report: Badger to be named new GM
With the position of GM vacant following former GM Al's surprise retirement announcement, the President has received numerous applications, and has not officially made a decision.

An anonymous source tells the Nyman Times that the President is going to appoint Senator Badger to the position.  While this has not been confirmed, the President did appoint Badger to replace Al as Chairman of the Budget Process Committee until the position is filled, potentially tipping his hand slightly.  These reports are however unconfirmed, and the Nyman Times has not been able to reach the President, Vice President, or Senator Badger for confirmation or denial.

Another source, speaking again on the condition of anonymity, tells the Nyman Times that a prominent member of Atlasia's right has applied to the President.  No name was given, although another source tells the Times that Senator NCYankee, the newly elected PPT of the Senate, was interested in taking the position.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 06:05:20 PM »

The Nyman Times
A Newspaper of Record
September 17, 2010

With the position of GM vacant following former GM Al's surprise retirement announcement, the President has received numerous applications, and has not officially made a decision.

An anonymous source tells the Nyman Times that the President is going to appoint Senator Badger to the position.  While this has not been confirmed, the President did appoint Badger to replace Al as Chairman of the Budget Process Committee until the position is filled, potentially tipping his hand slightly.  These reports are however unconfirmed, and the Nyman Times has not been able to reach the President, Vice President, or Senator Badger for confirmation or denial.

Another source, speaking again on the condition of anonymity, tells the Nyman Times that a prominent member of Atlasia's right has applied to the President.  No name was given, although another source tells the Times that Senator NCYankee, the newly elected PPT of the Senate, was interested in taking the position.

Whoever it was, has a brain. I am thinking their head will look nice a pole for suggesting such garbage.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 08:58:37 PM »

The Nyman Times
A Newspaper of Record
September 17, 2010

For the record, I have received no notice from the President.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 10:32:37 PM »

Thank you to the Nyman Times for their 1st preference endorsement Cheesy
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 11:27:35 AM »

I have made no final or even preliminary decision on filling the position of Game Moderator and I am still carrying out the application process with a number of commendable applicants.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 01:00:33 PM »

The Nyman Times
A Newspaper of Record
September 19, 2010

Tmthforu94 projected to be reelected
With the Mideast Gubernatorial election nearing a close, Governor Tmthforu94 is projected to be reelected overwhelmingly to a second term.  The Governor leads 13-2 with just a few hours remaining, and NiK, his opponent, has already conceded defeat.

In the concession, NiK also announced his retirement from Atlasia, saying his time in Atlasia, belong to a different era.  The Nyman Times wishes NiK well, and congratulates the Governor on his reelection, as well as to the 5 members of the Assembly.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 09:06:58 PM »

The Nyman Times
A Newspaper of Record
September 20, 2010

Exclusive interview with Mideast Governor Tmthforu94:

Nyman Times: First off Governor, congratulations on your reelection.  Are you surprised at the strength of your reelection?

Tmthforu 94: Thank you, Ben. I was very pleased by the results, but I wasn't surprised. I'm very proud of the job I've done as Governor, and my approval ratings showed that others were pleased with me as well.

Nyman Times: What do you think of NiK’s decision to retire from Atlasia?

Tmthforu94: It certainly is disappointing. NiK has made many positive contributions to Atlasia. He will certainly be missed, and I hope he comes back in the future.

Nyman Times: What do you think of the proposed, preliminary budget in the Mideast?

Tmthforu94: I think it's a great start, but we do have a lot more work to go. I think we have a great incoming Assembly, and I'm sure we'll get it done this session. A-Bob has done a fantastic job on it, and hopefully he continues his hard work.

Nyman Times: Are there any parts of the budget you will not accept, if it’s passed largely as it appears now?

Tmthforu94:     Overall, it looks really good. I'd have to do some number crunching, but I think the sections we have completed are great, mainly energy.  One thing I may want to add is possibly more funding for alternative energy, though.

Nyman Times: If you add alternative energy, will you be cutting funding for other projects?

Tmthforu94: I'd have to see what our overall budget is before making a decision on what to cut and what to add. A top goal of mine with this budget is to have a balanced budget, which will be tricky, to say the least.

Nyman Times: If the budget isn't balanced, will you veto it?

Tmthforu94: If it is close to balanced, I would likely pass it. But if we are spending out of control, leading to more and more debt, I would certainly veto it.

Nyman Times: What are your major legislative priorities for your second term?

Tmthforu94: First off, I want Big Bad Fab to get confirmed as Superior Court Judge. After that, my number one goal will be completing this budget. Afterwards, I look for some possible education reform, including more money for the classroom, increase in teachers pay, and allowing government employees to be able to take time off to attend parent-teacher conferences.

Nyman Times: Do you stand by your promise not to abandon the Mideast for another position during your term?

Tmthforu94: I don't want to promise anything. I have no clue what the future holds. If a great opportunity presents itself, I may take it. However, I would consult the citizens of the Mideast first, and I wouldn't even consider leaving unless I felt like the person taking over for me was just as qualified as I.

Nyman Times: What do you think of the President’s tenure thus far?  And what of his Cabinet selections?

Tmthforu 94: Well, when Purple State came into office, I was looking forward to a spurt of activity in Atlasia. Sadly, that hasn't happened. I can't blame that entirely on his administration, as I feel like he's made a valiant effort. As to his selections, I think it's obvious he made some bad appointments, as he had to appoint new cabinet members midway through his term. I do think we have a strong cabinet now, and I'd like to give a shoutout to Kalwejt who while hasn't done a case yet, has done amazing on Wiki.

Nyman Times: If President Purple State seeks reelection, will you support him?

Tmthforu94: It would depend on who his prime opponents are. But to be honest, if there is a good moderate-conservative ticket, I'd likely support it, mainly due to political differences.

Nyman Times: Thank you Governor, and good luck with your second term.

Tmthforu94: Thank you, Ben. This has been a pleasure!
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 09:13:53 PM »

Great interview
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 10:12:08 PM »

To be fair, I only promised an active administration, which we certainly have right now (though I have been surprised and disappointed by activity within my administration at times). I can't control what the rest of y'all do. Tongue

But we certainly have the right team in place now and we are laying the groundwork for a renewed and reinvigorated Atlasia with Wiki reform, GM reform, a Constitutional Convention and a more transparent and flexible DoFA.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 08:54:17 AM »

To be fair, I only promised an active administration, which we certainly have right now (though I have been surprised and disappointed by activity within my administration at times). I can't control what the rest of y'all do. Tongue

But we certainly have the right team in place now and we are laying the groundwork for a renewed and reinvigorated Atlasia with Wiki reform, GM reform, a Constitutional Convention and a more transparent and flexible DoFA.
I agree with your assement. I know it isn't your fault, others just aren't getting involved right now, which is unfortunate.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 05:34:50 PM »

Indeed.

I've been disappointed with the way some things have moved forward, but these things are all out of our control, to be completely honest. The President's administration doesn't have a magic wand it can wave to increase the activity of everyone else. The best that can be done is put together the best team possible, put forward your best effort in your administration, and hope all the pieces come together.

You can take time to try and find the best people possible for appointments. Which we have done and tried to do. We debate endlessly behind the scenes over who we appoint. Here's the facts: We can't do a damn thing if people just decide not to do their jobs or don't want to be in office anymore. We had no power over Al aside from nudging him to move forward, it was up to him to actually do anything or not.

You can try to nudge the Senate forward by pressing on with a legislative agenda, which again, we have done. But if the Senate chooses not to debate over our agenda, which we took a great deal of time crafting, that can't be held against us because we do not, perhaps unfortunately, control the Senate or have any power in participating in the Senate aside from bullying a bit.

The ConCon is a smaller scale, but it is not moving as fast as I wished it would, and that may be unfortunately by design. If it was up to me, we would've been done a month ago, because the entire point of the damn thing was to quickly get things through, not re-evaluate every damn line of the Constitution and twiddle our thumbs for weeks on end. This is just my personal opinion, but it's definitely gotten on my nerves that the ConCon hasn't just put together a freaking proposal yet and got it on the ballot. Taking all this time makes people forget the mess that we're trying to fix.

But again, the Administration doesn't set the rules. We aren't the delegates. We can't control these things. We can nudge, and put together an agenda, and try to find the best people, and debate debate debate. But we are not wizards, and as long as we're holding up our end of the bargain, which we most certainly have, I don't think it's fair to blame us for the shortcomings of the Senate or others.

Maybe that was a little harsh, but it's the unfortunate truth.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 06:14:26 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You called for a ConCon; you're getting a ConCon whether you like it or not Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 06:28:24 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You called for a ConCon; you're getting a ConCon whether you like it or not Tongue

Hmph. Tongue
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 11:00:40 PM »

I'm planning on hitting the gas on the Convention given the relatively non-controversial and efficient manner with which the delegates have handled it. I was more disappointed by the late start the Convention got, but it is understandable given the amount of time it takes to get each region to pass a resolution, get the Senate to pass a resolution and then get each region to choose a delegate.

This is part of the reason why I want each region to have an elected legislature: as a means of speeding up the regional process.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 03:36:26 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2010, 03:38:14 PM by Secretary of External Affairs Ben »

The Nyman Times
A Newspaper of Record
September 23, 2010

Badger appointed GM
Earlier today, President Purple State appointed Badger to be the next GM.  The President's decision, which had been reported in the Nyman Times of September 17, has been widely applauded, and a speedy confirmation is expected.

The Nyman Times applauds the President's decision, and feels that Badger will make an excellent GM.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 03:53:50 PM »

The Nyman Times
A Newspaper of Record
September 23, 2010

Badger appointed GM
Earlier today, President Purple State appointed Badger to be the next GM.  The President's decision, which had been reported in the Nyman Times of September 17, has been widely applauded, and a speedy confirmation is expected.

The Nyman Times applauds the President's decision, and feels that Badger will make an excellent GM.

I heartily thank the Times for its words of encouragement. Kudos on breaking the story before I even knew about it (no joke). That's some good reporting! Smiley

Who says investigative journalism is dead? Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies