Tax Reform (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:55:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Tax Reform (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What idea do you like the most?
Flat Tax w/ $35,000 exemption

Federal Sales Tax w/ rebate to help lower class

VAT (Value Added Tax)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Tax Reform  (Read 8406 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: November 07, 2004, 03:32:23 PM »

agreed.  at the risk of sounding like a left-wing nut, I think all those are pretty damned regressive.  In BRTD's example, a person making ten grand would probably pay more with a federal sales tax, since he's pay for purchases because he'd ending up spending his whole income (hard to save any on that salary.)

Not sure what form this domestic agenda will take, but I can't imagine that the Grover Norquist model will fly, even with a 55/45 republican congress.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 12:50:24 PM »

Actually, the Flat Tax idea has been floating around for decades, and is a major stated goal of many conservative thinkers and politicians and writers.  Grover Norquist, for example.  So much time was spent on foreign policy during this campaign that lots of folks seemed to ignore domestic policy, but I'd imagine with a favorable majority in both houses of congress, if the right has the president's ear, then they may well get moving in that direction.  Of course, that assumes enough Democrats and Republicans support a Flat tax.  I do not believe they do, and I do not believe such a proposal would go down along party lines.  Arlen Specter, for example, might not support the idea while Harry Reid might. 

What the Bushies want to do, if they're serious about pushing through a flat tax, is rally the GOP troups around the cause, as much as possible, with committee-appointment assignments, and various means/ways promises, where applicable.  Then, to fill in any gaps left, run commercials in the districts of Democrats where the folks could be persuaded to push for flat taxes by calling or writing their congressmen.  Maybe show recently unemployed young internet gurus writing huge tax checks to uncle sam while they're living at home with mom & dad.  (if you made 200 grand for most of 2001, but got laid off at the end and had to move back home, you're not likely to forget the experience.  sadder still to watch it die than never to have known it.)  Meanwhile, play some melancholy song with both youth- and yuppie-appeal, such as Beatles' Tax Man.  This would be a great commercial to push voters in Democrat districts into contacting their legislator.

Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nin'teen for me

Cause I'm the tax man
   Yea I'm the tax man

Should five percent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all

Cause I'm the tax man
   Yea I'm the tax man

If you drive a car-car I'll tax the street
If you try to sit-sit I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat
If you take a walk I'll tax your feet
Tax man

Well I'm the tax man
   Yea I'm the tax man

Don't ask me what I want it for
If you don't want to pay some more

Cause I'm the tax man
   Yea I'm the tax man

Now my advice for those who die (tax man)
Declare the pennies on your eyes (tax man)

Cause I'm the tax man
   Yea I'm the tax man

And you're working for no one but me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies