CA: Survey USA: Fiorina leads Boxer by 2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:15:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Senatorial Election Polls
  CA: Survey USA: Fiorina leads Boxer by 2
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CA: Survey USA: Fiorina leads Boxer by 2  (Read 2371 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2010, 08:42:19 PM »

New Poll: California Senator by Survey USA on 2010-09-02

Summary: D: 46%, R: 48%, I: 5%, U: 1%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 08:47:15 AM »

Boxer has improved her standing from the last SUSA poll.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 11:15:10 AM »

SUSA thinks the gender ratio will be 50-50?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 11:16:32 AM »

Funny that Rassy is showing Boxer doing better than SUSA.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 12:32:16 PM »

Oddly, thats been consistent with most SUSA polls this year, not just here but in Washington as well. It may have something to do with SUSA's non-weighting being more likely to capture enthusiasm than Ras' hard weighting.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 01:25:17 PM »

Everyone is showing Boxer doing better than SUSA:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2010/senate/ca/california_senate_boxer_vs_fiorina-1094.html

I think this race is a tad overhyped at the moment.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 01:40:14 PM »

SUSA has been more friendly than Rass towards Republicans. We will see if they are right.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 02:47:18 PM »

SUSA has been more friendly than Rass towards Republicans. We will see if they are right.

SUSA does not weight. We will see if they are right. I suspect they may be right now, but I doubt the poll is a good prediction of what will happen in an actual election.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 07:56:24 PM »

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2010/senate/ca/california_senate_boxer_vs_fiorina-1094.html

I disagree.  If you look at those polls, none have Boxer over 50% and that's a very very bad sign for her.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 11:55:15 PM »

I disagree.  If you look at those polls, none have Boxer over 50% and that's a very very bad sign for her.

Agreed. If you're an incumbent in a bad economy, and are polling, on average, almost 5 points below fifty, you should be worried.

Still, she doesn't seem to be afraid to attack her opponent or anything, we'll see if that works or if it backfires.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 11:57:25 PM »

The Only Halfway-Sane Moderator Left (Sam Spade) now has poll entering rights ?

Good ... Smiley

Now please do the same with Mr. Moderate and ban Quincy.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 07:20:47 AM »

It's important to remember that 50% is rarely the magic number in California; minor-party candidates almost always siphon off at least 5-6% of the vote, so a candidate can win with 47%. So Boxer not being at 50% isn't as big a problem as in states where ballot access is restricted to the two major parties or nobody gives a flying leap about minor-party choices.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 07:31:02 AM »

Besides,  her opponent has 100% name rec, so the reasons why that "rule" in discussing polls ever emerged don't exactly apply.

Take a look at that undecided figure. Hilarious.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 08:25:04 AM »

Still, she doesn't seem to be afraid to attack her opponent or anything, we'll see if that works or if it backfires.

It won't backfire, trust me. If she was bringing up trivial sh**t, then maybe. But she is bringing up things like her failure at HP (being fired but leaving with $21 million while normal HP employees were laid off with peanuts for compensation) or her failure in the Mccain campaign or her overall failure at life. Another thing to keep in mind is that some of the mannerisms of Boxer that turn off men, actually attract women to her. Independent women swing races in California, and Boxer is doing just fine with them. Also look at how well she is doing with moderates, and then compare that with the governor's race. I certainly think Boxer has the advantage.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 12:09:35 PM »

Boxer was neck and neck in the low 40s with Matt Fong at this point in 1998. Oddly that year, Feingold was also seen as dead and gone at this point. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 02:06:01 PM »

Boxer was neck and neck in the low 40s with Matt Fong at this point in 1998. Oddly that year, Feingold was also seen as dead and gone at this point. 

Perhaps the macro environment is a bit different this year than 1998.  Smiley
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 02:25:58 PM »

I think Fiorina has a horrible resume compared to Fong, plus Boxer has much more experience campaigning now. Smiley You're putting too much trust in this "environment" and not in the candidates themselves.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 03:08:24 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2010, 03:16:01 PM by Torie »

I think Fiorina has a horrible resume compared to Fong, plus Boxer has much more experience campaigning now. Smiley You're putting too much trust in this "environment" and not in the candidates themselves.

Yes, Boxer has the edge (a slight edge), due to the Dem tilt of California, and only that really. California is pretty disconnected from its Senate candidates in general, and few will watch any of the debates, or care. But it is a macro environment, as poll after poll rolls in suggesting exactly that, macro, macro, macro, up and down the ballot, for nearly everything, and nearly everywhere, right across the fruited plain, absent compelling circumstances to the contrary, e.g. Angle.

Brewer for example just collapsed in her debate with Goddard in Arizona, just fell apart. Will it matter? I strongly doubt it.

The Dems of course will be launching their counterattack, and do it with considerable money, but with what, I am not sure (as an aside, the independent public employee "independent" expenditure ads for Brown in California, which they are rolling out, are just hilariously bad - is that the best they can do?). So far, it has been the extremism card, and rolling out the old SS chestnut, for one more dance, which is not going to work. Voters are not worrying about their SS right now; they are worried about their jobs. But I don't think the Dems will be talking much about the economy, or defending the stimulus money, as unemployment continues to blip up, now at 9.6% from 9.5% as of yesterday, and probably headed to close to 10% by election day. Maybe the Dems will panic and extend all of  the Bush tax cuts or something. But what I see so far, is a deer in the headlights phenomenon going on.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 03:32:44 PM »

The jobs situation is the main problem, but when you have a former CEO who had no qualms about outsourcing jobs, the ball game is a lot different. Fiorina's record is something she can't hide, it's out there for everyone to see and that's her biggest roadblock.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 09:46:08 PM »

The jobs situation is the main problem, but when you have a former CEO who had no qualms about outsourcing jobs, the ball game is a lot different. Fiorina's record is something she can't hide, it's out there for everyone to see and that's her biggest roadblock.

Of course, Fiorina can blame Boxer and her ilk for creating the taxes, regulations, and policies that encourage more outsourcing, which I have seen her do and quite effectively at that on Sunday news shows. Good candidates can neutralize their drawbacks and in some cases turn them into positive. We won't know untill the election whether Fiorina is that good or just good enough for it to not be a problem.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 09:48:01 PM »

lmao "Boxer made me outsource all those jobs" rofl.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 09:52:26 PM »

Social Security is to 2010 as illegal immigration is to 2006.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 10:42:54 PM »

Of course, Fiorina can blame Boxer and her ilk for creating the taxes, regulations, and policies that encourage more outsourcing, which I have seen her do and quite effectively at that on Sunday news shows. Good candidates can neutralize their drawbacks and in some cases turn them into positive. We won't know untill the election whether Fiorina is that good or just good enough for it to not be a problem.

Blaming your opponent for your actions is weak and I don't think most people will see it that way. On top of that, she was a terrible CEO who was fired which is something that will be looked at too.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies