Bush-Wilson parallel?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:33:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bush-Wilson parallel?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush-Wilson parallel?  (Read 2411 times)
seamar116
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2004, 02:46:06 PM »

I just stumbled across this great site today while researching the "mandate" that GWB received. And I was looking for any parallels and lo and behold, up comes the 1912 and 1916 elections.
Wilson wins in 1912 with 41% of the popular vote as TR and Taft split the Rep. vote. And in 1916 Wilson wins re-election by a whisker over Hughes. Wilson wins California and its 13 EV by 4,000 votes. Reversing those 13 votes gives Hughes the election.

My question...how did Wilson lead over those two terms? What was the make-up of Congress? Did he "reach-out" across the aisle" If so how? I'm trying to gain some historical insight into this situation. Has anyone explored this in depth or know of any resources I should check out? Thanks.

Mike
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 03:29:20 PM »

At least on the League of Nations, his crossover was unsuccessful.  There were fairly substantial divisions over entry into WWI.
DaleC76
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 03:51:50 PM »

I've read lots of columnists talk about Truman - Bush parallels, too.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 08:03:19 PM »

Wilson was terrible at reaching out over the aisle when it came to the League of Nations. Republiucans (most of them) were under command of Senator Henry Cabot Lodge. Wilson never compromised well, so he decalred war on Lodge. In 1916 Republicans took Congress and in 1918 they expanded their lead in Congress.

In Wilson's first term Democrats controlled the Congress so he got a lot passed in his first 3 years. These included beautufucation bills, the Income Tax Amendment, civil service reform, and tariff reduction.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 10:46:36 PM »

well then, according to the parallel we should win in a landslide in 2008 Smiley
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 04:23:47 PM »

well then, according to the parallel we should win in a landslide in 2008 Smiley

That might happen if Bush get's into a problem as big as WWI and the "League of Nations."
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 04:31:53 PM »

Wilson was terrible at reaching out over the aisle when it came to the League of Nations. Republiucans (most of them) were under command of Senator Henry Cabot Lodge. Wilson never compromised well, so he decalred war on Lodge. In 1916 Republicans took Congress and in 1918 they expanded their lead in Congress.

In Wilson's first term Democrats controlled the Congress so he got a lot passed in his first 3 years. These included beautufucation bills, the Income Tax Amendment, civil service reform, and tariff reduction.

Don't forget about the Lion of the Senate.  Smiley

Henry Cabot Lodge
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 04:39:59 PM »

Don't forget about the Lion of the Senate.  Smiley

Henry Cabot Lodge

*cough* Nevermind.

See, i'm not the keensest histrorian when i'm tired. I barely got any sleep yeaterday.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 04:48:23 PM »

See, i'm not the keensest histrorian when i'm tired. I barely got any sleep yeaterday.

No, you're right, most of the fight was between Wilson and Lodge.

Yes, 2 old stubborn men. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies