Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 04:48:54 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Election What-ifs?
| | |-+  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Bacon King)
| | | |-+  Would a Bush/Cheney ticket have beaten a Kerry/McCain ticket?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Would a Bush/Cheney ticket have beaten a Kerry/McCain ticket?  (Read 2155 times)
GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2010, 06:55:24 pm »
Ignore

Discuss
Bo
Rochambeau
YaBB God
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 08:54:13 pm »
Ignore

I doubt it. McCain would have helped Kerry a lot and would have probably been enough to defeat Bush and Cheney in 2004.

RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 11:12:34 am »
Ignore

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=123439.0

Bush still wins. McCain joining the Democratic ticket would anger the liberals, and Al Gore would make the left seem united.

I seriously doubt that McCain would have been able to unite the Democratic Party to the degree that Kerry/Edwards did. Can you imagine how the activist left would have reacted? The fact of the matter was that the left was not as motivated as the right was that year. Bush won in a close election, but he still won (by 3 points).

I think Kerry did the best he was going to do, as flawed a candidate as he was. McCain would not have helped with Republicans or conservative-leaning independents (the Massachussetts liberal was NOT going to win that vote, no matter what).

Clearly the solution is to privatize presidential elections.

So, in less than four years, get excited for the 2016 MetLife Financial U Pick The Prez Extravaganza. If you tweet a picture of your completed ballot with the hashtag #ivoted, you could win a trip for two to the inauguration or an iTunes gift card.
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 08:26:05 pm »
Ignore

I can see this being like a "McCain chooses Liberman in 2008" scenario, with a large number of the Wingnuts (including me) in the given party staying home or voting third party. In this case, I can see Ralph Nader getting a significant bump from this, just as a Libertarian or Constitution candidate might have if McCain chose Lieberman (I honestly don't know if I would vote for McCain or a third party in that scenario despite my Conservative leanings) Ralph Nader would probably be able to expand on his two percent from 2000 and seem like a credible candidate by 2008.

Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 07:01:57 pm »
Ignore

McCain was different back then, though, and we held quite a bit of respect for him. Of course, he's a vile creature nowadays. With the war being a big issue, Kerry probably never had a chance.

Please Senators, don't let the Russians, a folk of alcoholic homophobic, take Crimee
The Kingfish
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 11:10:30 am »
Ignore

McCain was more genuinely moderate back then. He may have driven away some voters to Nader or Cobb, but not enough to prevent Kerry from winning.

Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 11:22:50 am »
Ignore

Probably, yeah. There really wouldn't have needed a lot to push Kerry over the top.

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.
phk
phknrocket1k
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 03:45:33 pm »
Ignore

Kerry would have picked up Iowa, New Mexico, Arizona, Ohio at least.

NCeriale

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 12:42:26 am »
Ignore

Kerry would have forced Bush's hand and Bush would have dumped Cheney for Condoleeza Rice or Rudy Giuliani. Both give him sizable advantage. Would have loved to see McCain go after Cheney though
Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 06:28:25 pm »
Ignore

Kerry would've lost by more, because of low liberal turnout.  Sure, maybe he would've took Arizona and even Arkansas, but he would have lost Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and New Hampshire.

I never have, and still can't, see how McCain was in any way, a "moderate" other than his support for campaign finance reform.  Does cooperating with the other party on one issue make you a "moderate", now?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:04:44 pm by Scott »Logged

Akno21
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 07:14:22 pm »
Ignore

No, because McCain would've removed himself from the ticket once he returned to his senses and realized Kerry's one of the most liberal senators in the country and McCain, whatever liberals may have fooled themselves into thinking, is a pretty conservative guy. Was this ever close to actually happening?

phk
phknrocket1k
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 09:02:32 pm »
Ignore

McCain was seen differently back than.

/end

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »