Peace Talks Between Israel and the Palestinians Restart
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:17:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Peace Talks Between Israel and the Palestinians Restart
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Peace Talks Between Israel and the Palestinians Restart  (Read 1701 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 03, 2010, 08:57:17 PM »

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-08-31/world/israel.peace.talks_1_hamas-spokesman-direct-talks-peace-talks?_s=PM:WORLD
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 09:09:14 PM »

Standard headline for any time between 1970 and 2070.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 01:28:48 PM »

The elected government of the Palestinians is not a party to these talks.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 03:08:28 PM »

At least they had a good excuse, they were busy murdering four people.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »

I am aware. THe point is the absurdity in heralding these talks as some kind of breakthrough, or well, as newsworthy at all. And especially the absurdity in the fact that for the past two years, the Israeli government wouldn't even talk to Abbas - a man who is, for all practical purposes, their employee.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 05:44:04 PM »

We will know more about the worth of these stuffs on the 26th.

But, I would think there could be some sort of sincerity and good will in Netanyahu's attitude.

We'll see it soon, but, anyhow, if Netanyahu makes strong concessions on colonies, then what will remain the worth of his coalition? And if it blasts, would Likud, or at least a significant part of it, which recently voted to expand to 'Greater Jerusalem, Samaria, and Judea' accept a coalition with Kadima? In short, in case Netanyahu accepts big concessions what would remain the worth of its leadership. And could even the Kneset continue this way?

In both cases we could be in presence of leaders that wouldn't represent the forces on the most concerned ground (colons and Hamas' forces), and not of the rest of the population if we believe Israeli polls supporting colonization, and yes, if we take into account that during last elections Palestinians elected Hamas, it was before that one really messed around though.

In case it would work, great, but, in order that leaders can change the mind of their people they would have to actually you know, be leaders.

Also, in case mister Bibi would have actually changed his mind on colonization, while a few months ago he was saying 'f**k' to the USA about it, what could have lead him to that, USA would have given something? Some spoke about USA having eventually given a support to Israel for strikes on Iran in exchange to this, hey who knows...

In any case Iran remains in the background, and could be, by one way or an other, publicly or not, be used by such or such to try to achieve something in this context. USA to make Israel nicer, Netanyahu to try to divert an eventual anger of colons if big concessions, and in any case you could think everybody in the trio would be happy to get rid of Hamas and of this nuclear problem in the same time, not to speak about Hezbollah, then in any case, what's happening here could mean a growing of the pressure on Iran...
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 08:15:08 PM »

Standard headline for any time between 1970 and 2070.

Pretty much. As long as extremism remains so prevalent on both sides, nothing is going to come out of peace talks.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 10:30:34 AM »

Lieberman: This generation will not see Middle East peace
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/lieberman-this-generation-will-not-see-middle-east-peace-1.312364
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »

I really couldn't tell you which Lieberman I hate more.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 09:07:09 PM »

I am aware. THe point is the absurdity in heralding these talks as some kind of breakthrough, or well, as newsworthy at all. And especially the absurdity in the fact that for the past two years, the Israeli government wouldn't even talk to Abbas - a man who is, for all practical purposes, their employee.

Israel did agree to talk to Abbas over the last two years. It's just that Abbas refused to talk until Israel implemented a full settlement freeze (due to Obama's demands). Besides, the Palestinian Authority is overdue for new elections, so Hamas isn't really the legitimate govt. of the Palestinians anymore either.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 09:08:22 PM »

I really couldn't tell you which Lieberman I hate more.

Avigdor is too remote for me to really hate him, whereas Joe has screwed me over in a way that genuinely hurts, so Joe wins by a mile and a chalf.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 10:54:02 PM »

The solution:

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&geocode=&ie=UTF8&vps=1&jsv=274a&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=101714683938336514556.000462dacd5169e8e534d
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 02:54:14 PM »

I'd take the 1967 borders for a two state solution over that any day.
danny
Israel

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 06:16:42 PM »

lol, sure.
Remember that when Lieberman proposes this idea the Arabs accuse him of racism, and this map even manages to put places like Arad and Karmiel in the Palestinian state making this one of the most unfeasible ideas I've ever seen.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 08:28:58 PM »

lol, sure.
Remember that when Lieberman proposes this idea the Arabs accuse him of racism, and this map even manages to put places like Arad and Karmiel in the Palestinian state making this one of the most unfeasible ideas I've ever seen.

Lieberman is a racist, though.
danny
Israel

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 09:32:28 PM »

lol, sure.

Lieberman is a racist, though.

I don't think he is but anyway I meant that they accuse the idea of giving up areas with a majority Arab population in Israel to a Palestinian state racist and then call Lieberman a racist for proposing such a racist plan (amongst other reasons, of course).
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 09:29:49 AM »

Handing back the entire occupied areas to Jordan, Egypt and Syria respectively would be a "simple" solution, but is a non-starter for a number of reasons.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 10:42:05 AM »

Then it would be over, final decision to come soon:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.france24.com/en/20101002-israel-palestinian-peace-talks-settlements-freeze-abbas-netanyahu

Abbas takes some time before taking a decision, if he finally more or less stays in the talks while Israel more or less continues the colonization, then the White House should begin to wonder about the possible consequences of all of this, about whether such an hypocrite situation would encourage Palestinians, but especially Hamas, to stay calm...

That is if the future of Hamas isn't already decided, given the future of Iran would be decided...
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 11:36:30 AM »

Problem is Abbas can't make a comprehensive peace deal. Neither can Netanyahu. Both are dependent on the hardliners to stay in office.

Abbas is stuck either way. I think he should stay in - jaw-jaw is better than war-war.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies