Euro 2012 Qualifiers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:09:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Euro 2012 Qualifiers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30
Author Topic: Euro 2012 Qualifiers  (Read 72247 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2011, 05:35:25 PM »

Decent game overall. Moldavia isn't as simple an obstacle as one might think so 4-1 is pretty good.

And what happened to Bosnia and Lithuania? There weren't generally that many interesting games tonight, unfortunately.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2011, 06:36:21 PM »

Decent game overall. Moldavia isn't as simple an obstacle as one might think so 4-1 is pretty good.

And what happened to Bosnia and Lithuania? There weren't generally that many interesting games tonight, unfortunately.

Yeah, the interesting games are tomorrow. Norway vs. Portugal ought to be the biggest one.

As for Lithuania, that is just too funny. Not only to lose by to lose 0-2 to Liechtenstein. Ouch. That's Liechtenstein's first competitive win in four years. As for Bosnia, that is less surprising. Romania might be pretty pathetic these days but they had home field advantage and Bosnia isn't exactly a good team anyway.

Another real embarrassment is France continuing to struggle against Belarus. They might just give France a good run in the home stretch especially since two of France's remaining games are in Romania and Albania. The former has put on very good performances at home while the latter isn't a pushover on home turf either.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2011, 03:37:25 AM »

Yeah, the interesting games are tomorrow. Norway vs. Portugal ought to be the biggest one.

As for Lithuania, that is just too funny. Not only to lose by to lose 0-2 to Liechtenstein. Ouch. That's Liechtenstein's first competitive win in four years. As for Bosnia, that is less surprising. Romania might be pretty pathetic these days but they had home field advantage and Bosnia isn't exactly a good team anyway.

Another real embarrassment is France continuing to struggle against Belarus. They might just give France a good run in the home stretch especially since two of France's remaining games are in Romania and Albania. The former has put on very good performances at home while the latter isn't a pushover on home turf either.

Bosnia is criminally underrated. Dzeko just moved to Manchester City, for instance. In the last World Cup qualifier they finished second in their group behind Spain, ahead of Turkey and Belgium. In the WCQ before that they finished 3rd in their group, having tied Spain in both legs.

And, they're undefeated against Italy. Wink

Romania, on the other hand has been sucking really hard ever since the 2008 Euros. In the last WCQ they were thrashed by Lithuania 3-0 on home ground. That is just embarrassing. Before yesterday their only points were beating Luxembourg and tying Albania and Belarus. So I was surprised that they could just sweep Bosnia to the side (especially since they lost the away leg against Bosnia)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2011, 04:41:51 AM »

Germany won. Somehow. Didn't deserve to.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2011, 04:50:57 AM »

Germany always deserves to win football matches.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2011, 04:53:17 AM »

Nah, that's the Eintracht.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2011, 04:56:11 AM »

Eintracht didn't do a good job of defending what's rightfully theirs then Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2011, 05:02:20 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2011, 05:04:21 AM by Old Lodge Skins »

Eintracht didn't do a good job of defending what's rightfully theirs then Wink
Fucking disaster...

I'm visible in this shot from after the Cologne game.

Top corner of the stands (center of the image in left-right terms), near a redheaded steward.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2011, 09:07:48 AM »

Bosnia is criminally underrated. Dzeko just moved to Manchester City, for instance. In the last World Cup qualifier they finished second in their group behind Spain, ahead of Turkey and Belgium. In the WCQ before that they finished 3rd in their group, having tied Spain in both legs.

And, they're undefeated against Italy. Wink

Maybe but remember that I have a pretty high standard as to what a "good" team is in Soccer.  Wink

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, they were terrible in the last World Cup qualifiers but they've obviously improved somewhat. Tying Belarus in Belarus isn't that bad if a team like France can't get their hands around them. I'd say that tie against Albania was probably more of a hangover from the 2010 World Cup qualifiers since it was their first game of these qualifiers.

Whatever the case, they've certainly fallen hard since the 2008 qualifying campaign which saw them top their group against The Netherlands (including one win and one draw against the Dutch).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2011, 09:26:15 AM »

And just as I give Romania some credit, their coach resigns.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2011, 09:29:46 AM »

I would, were that to happen to me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2011, 09:30:35 AM »

Quit as coach of Romania? How about never take the job.  Cheesy
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2011, 11:22:39 AM »

Wow. Talk about terrible luck for England.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2011, 11:25:12 AM »

...and just seconds later, a dose of luck. This is going to be an exciting game.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2011, 01:31:30 PM »

By relying on Mario Gomez to score twice, including a winning 90th minute goal. LOL
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2011, 01:43:12 PM »

Wow. Talk about terrible luck for England.

As usual against one of the big teams the Swiss didn't manage to pull it off. I'm quite happy with that tie, though. I expected England to win handily.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2011, 08:56:05 PM »

England caught a big break with Bulgaria tying Montenegro. Group B is all tied up at the top between Ireland, Slovakia and Russia. This one should be the most exciting between now and October. Totally unpredictable. I'm hoping for Ireland and Slovakia to make it through. If that happens and assuming one of the two wins their playoff, I'd love to be grouped with them in the Finals. We have a score to settle with the latter from last year. I have a feeling the result would be much different this time around.  Wink  And, of course, Italy vs. Ireland is always good fun.

Group F is interesting with Israel putting on what has to be a strong than expected performance. Their only losses are to Croatia and Greece. That being said, they have to face both of them again so I don't think Israel is going to be advance. This one is between Greece and Croatia. Their game on October 7th should be the decisive one.

Group H is like Group B - three way tie at the top - but probably a little less unpredictable. Portugal has the easier final games but they've screwed up before. Maybe Cyprus can stick it to them again and Denmark or Norway will take the group. I wouldn't bet on it though.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2011, 01:41:20 AM »

By relying on Mario Gomez to score twice, including a winning 90th minute goal. LOL

Germany always somehow wins in the last 2 minutes or overtime ... Tongue

At least our team wasn't playing as sh**tty as was expected before the game and was almost level with the German team for long periods.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2011, 02:10:23 AM »

A recap of the Austria vs. Germany game if anyone wants to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc90C_LH1ko
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2011, 08:29:25 AM »

How much longer will that fascist last as England coach, I wonder? Oh... wait. I forgot. Those contractual issues that the FA stupidly (tautology?) agreed to.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2011, 08:59:17 AM »

How much longer will that fascist last as England coach, I wonder? Oh... wait. I forgot. Those contractual issues that the FA stupidly (tautology?) agreed to.

How's Wales doing, Al? Oh, wait. Sorry. Let me ask that again: Wwhaghr duyerbag ngaagil blerekant?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2011, 09:28:22 AM »

British football tends to go through a bad spell when the Tories are in power, ftr.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »

British football tends to go through a bad spell when the Tories are in power, ftr.

For awhile, I thought I was the only one that noticed that Italy does poorly when Berlusconi is in power. How naive I was. After the 2010 World Cup, an image floated around Facebook showing the failures of the Azzurri during Berlusconi's time in the office with a picture of the 2006 team lifting the Cup next to a picture of Prodi.  Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2011, 10:08:54 AM »

Also, of course...

Number of Frankfurt (including a non-Eintracht player in both 34 and 54) players in German World Cup squads vs the result.

1934 2 a third place that was considered a spectacular success
1938 0 disaster
1954 2 world cup win
1958 0 disappointment
1962 0 disappointment
1966 2 second place, and a controversial final
1970 1 third place
1974 2 world cup win
1978 1 disappointment
1982 0 second place, not exactly winning any sympathy at home or abroad
1986 1 second place
1990 1 (plus 1 returning to the club that summer) world cup win