Euro 2012 Qualifiers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:40:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Euro 2012 Qualifiers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 30
Author Topic: Euro 2012 Qualifiers  (Read 72265 times)
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: October 11, 2011, 04:19:38 PM »

We were undefeated (one of only four teams that can say that).
Five, actually Smiley

Ah, you're right. Still impressive.  Wink

Anyway, the playoff draw is on Thursday. I don't know the seeding since the coefficient rankings have to be adjusted but I hope it's possible to see Portugal, Ireland, Croatia and the Czech Republic advance.
Here is the last estimation:
http://www.world-results.net/uefa/ranking.html#2011
That was before today's games, but it seems unlikely that the order will change.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #476 on: October 11, 2011, 04:28:11 PM »

Given the results of today's games I doubt it will change - the Czechs won their game, after all.

I hope Portugal fails though. I would like to see Bosnia make it this time.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #477 on: October 11, 2011, 04:37:40 PM »

I figured all of the right teams would be seeded.  Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #478 on: October 11, 2011, 09:33:31 PM »

So, Wales won again. Weird.
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #479 on: October 11, 2011, 11:01:41 PM »

Great results. Denmark and Sweden qualified, Ireland in the playoffs, Portugal not yet qualified.

Looking at the UEFA rankings, Portugal, Czech Republic, Croatia and Turkey are seeded in the playoffs. What would be best for Ireland? The Czech I guess. Or Turkey, their strength is very unsteady.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #480 on: October 12, 2011, 01:27:19 AM »

Great results. Denmark and Sweden qualified, Ireland in the playoffs, Portugal not yet qualified.

Looking at the UEFA rankings, Portugal, Czech Republic, Croatia and Turkey are seeded in the playoffs. What would be best for Ireland? The Czech I guess. Or Turkey, their strength is very unsteady.
These rankings are out of date. Here are the rankings after yesterday's match:
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #481 on: October 12, 2011, 02:49:49 AM »

Seems that I wasn't the only one who thought that Ireland was helped by the referee:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/republic-of-ireland/8821001/Republic-of-Ireland-2-Armenia-1-match-report.html
Since Ireland obviously will not offer Armenia a replay, I know already who to root against in the play-offs (well, if Ireland plays against Turkey, I may think about it). And I hope we won't be hearing any more complaints about Henry's handball.

Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #482 on: October 12, 2011, 05:07:48 AM »

Seems that I wasn't the only one who thought that Ireland was helped by the referee:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/republic-of-ireland/8821001/Republic-of-Ireland-2-Armenia-1-match-report.html
Since Ireland obviously will not offer Armenia a replay, I know already who to root against in the play-offs (well, if Ireland plays against Turkey, I may think about it). And I hope we won't be hearing any more complaints about Henry's handball.

There is a difference in circumstance, and I would argue level of injustice, between these two cases - a play-off extra-time deliberate double handball and offside goal, and this incident.

At any rate, though I’d have no objection to a replay, presuming such were to become an established norm. (Judging by both our group games against them Armenia don’t present too many problems for our side anyway). However, as the FAI will recall from the France incident, TPTB informed them in no uncertain terms that a replay, even if the French offered one, would be out of the question.

(When was the last time you heard anyone bring up Henry's handball anyway?)
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #483 on: October 12, 2011, 05:57:38 AM »

These rankings are out of date. Here are the rankings after yesterday's match:

Oh thanks for correcting me GMantis. UEFA unpredictable as ever.
So Ireland is seeded instead of Turkey, that's a nice surprise. I'll hold my fingers crossed that they get Estonia or Montenegro tomorrow.

Btw is the controversial scene with Cox' handball-or-no-handball online somewhere? Haven't seen it yet, and nothing on youtube.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #484 on: October 12, 2011, 06:40:04 AM »

Btw is the controversial scene with Cox' handball-or-no-handball online somewhere? Haven't seen it yet, and nothing on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CdD8QiUBtmk
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #485 on: October 12, 2011, 06:55:15 AM »

Thanks! Yeah it looks pretty much like a handball. But no Henry-material.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #486 on: October 12, 2011, 07:02:33 AM »

On the other hand it seems that the keeper didn't touch the ball with his arms (though he didn't do himself any favors by raising up his arms). And yes, it's not as bad as what Henry did, but the decision favored Ireland and considering how early it came, it was probably decisive.

There is a difference in circumstance, and I would argue level of injustice, between these two cases - a play-off extra-time deliberate double handball and offside goal, and this incident.

At any rate, though I’d have no objection to a replay, presuming such were to become an established norm. (Judging by both our group games against them Armenia don’t present too many problems for our side anyway). However, as the FAI will recall from the France incident, TPTB informed them in no uncertain terms that a replay, even if the French offered one, would be out of the question.

Agree with most of what you said, but not the bolded part. I watched much of the game and for long periods the Armenians seemed more dangerous even with a player down.

And the Henry accident is mentioned constantly. Seems to go together with "Ireland" and "play-off".
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #487 on: October 12, 2011, 07:51:03 AM »

On the other hand it seems that the keeper didn't touch the ball with his arms (though he didn't do himself any favors by raising up his arms). And yes, it's not as bad as what Henry did, but the decision favored Ireland and considering how early it came, it was probably decisive.

Agree with most of what you said, but not the bolded part. I watched much of the game and for long periods the Armenians seemed more dangerous even with a player down.

And the Henry accident is mentioned constantly. Seems to go together with "Ireland" and "play-off".

Didn't see the game myself - just highlights online and read articles and such. None of the highlights I've seen had Armenia create any clear-cut chances other than their goal. (But then maybe they're not included - just as the [apparently perfectly legal] disallowed goal of Cox 5 minutes before the keeper got sent off is nowhere to be seen.)

At any rate, I won't be building up massive hopes for us in the play-offs. We're often there and we usually lose. I recall losing to Netherlands (E96), Belguim (WC98), Turkey (E00), France (WC10). Only win I can think of was against Iran (WC02).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #488 on: October 12, 2011, 09:30:19 AM »

At any rate, I won't be building up massive hopes for us in the play-offs. We're often there and we usually lose. I recall losing to Netherlands (E96), Belguim (WC98), Turkey (E00), France (WC10). Only win I can think of was against Iran (WC02).

All of the teams you lost to were definitely better sides (except maybe Belgium in 1998). I would have a positive outlook if I was you. I would hope to get Estonia if I was an Ireland fan.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #489 on: October 12, 2011, 10:43:18 AM »

I would say that there is a vast difference between getting either Turkey or Bosnia, both of which I think are pretty damn good teams, as opposed to Montenegro or Estonia who have over-performed in the qualifiers but could easily crumble.

Montenegro did seem to get worse towards the end of the campaign. They qualified based on their very impressive record during the first half of it. On the other hand, playing them in Podgorica seems like pure hell to me.

It obviously depends on how the teams get matched up but I think Portugal, Croatia, Bosnia and Turkey could well go through if the draw falls down that way. Ireland and Czech Rep have not impressed me a lot in this one.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #490 on: October 12, 2011, 11:13:57 AM »

I saw that Armenia own goal earlier. Talk about a disaster. Some own goals are understandable. That one? No. Cruel, cruel ending for the Armenians. Plus, their goalie didn't deserve to be sent off.

Here's why it doesn't matter: the play didn't result in a difference making goal. Even if it did, take that goal away and it's still a tie and Ireland progresses. You don't have a replay because an Irish player used his hand and the goalie was given a red card (even if that red card was unwarranted).

However, bringing up the whole Ireland-France game from two years ago gives me a sense of obligation to point out what few people realized (maybe you realize it, Jas, but bare with me): if you take away that Henry goal, that does not mean that Ireland would have went through. Take away that goal and if the score remained, it would have went to a penalty shoot out. It aggravates me when Irish fans imply that without that goal, they would have been on their way to South Africa.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #491 on: October 13, 2011, 06:38:05 AM »

So, play-off draw is done. Unfairly enough it is basically the two strongest from each pot facing each other.

Croatia v Turkey
Portugal v Bosnia
Ireland v Estonia
Czech Rep v Montenegro
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #492 on: October 13, 2011, 06:40:26 AM »

I will root for Bosnia, Ireland, Montenegro and Croatia.

My prediction is all the top-seeds making it through. The closest game will probably be Croatia v Turkey. The Turks should have a psychological advantage after last Euros... Cheesy
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #493 on: October 13, 2011, 07:06:30 AM »

To sum up the qualification campaign so far, I think Germany and Spain clearly stand out as the two strongest teams, with Holland 3rd.

Behind them, Italy seems like the strongest contender (congratulations Phil). France and England will also want payback and, who knows, might get it this time.

If Portugal and Croatia both qualify we could have a couple of hellish groups, since France and Portugal will then both be in the 4th pot, given current rankings. A group could then go something like

Spain
Germany
Croatia
France
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #494 on: October 13, 2011, 07:43:22 AM »

I wanted to watch it live but overslept.  Sad  It turned out how I wanted/expected anyway. I wanted to see a Croatia-Turkey rematch while Ireland and Portugal seem to get off easy.

If Portugal and Croatia both qualify we could have a couple of hellish groups, since France and Portugal will then both be in the 4th pot, given current rankings.

I guess it won't be possible to see the group I wanted:

Poland
Italy
France
Ireland

Oh well. I'd settle for being able to face only one of them (France or Ireland) and bring in Sweden or Denmark as a replacement. We owe both a rematch after 2004.  Tongue

The countdown to December 2nd (final tournament draw) begins!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #495 on: October 13, 2011, 12:11:07 PM »

Goddamnit, Ireland's gonna knock out two of my underdog teams now.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #496 on: October 13, 2011, 09:28:27 PM »

Anyways, lol Rayne Wooney.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #497 on: October 13, 2011, 09:54:14 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Future-News-Capello-calls-up-8216-Shmayne-Shm?urn=sow-wp5668
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #498 on: October 14, 2011, 01:09:46 AM »

Well, here is a group that will make Philadelphia bar owners happy.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #499 on: October 14, 2011, 05:06:07 AM »

That draw went horribly wrong. Basically two matches of Grade A teams vs Grade B teams and two matches of Grade B teams vs Grade C teams.
And bad luck for Bosnia again, who really deserve to qualify some of these days, missing out over the past decade while several weaker European sides got a qualification or even two in edgewise.

Croatia vs Turkey has entertainment potential. Though not with the way Turkey have been playing recently.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies