OMG. Oklahoma Presidential Election 2008, Results by Voting Block!!!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:49:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  OMG. Oklahoma Presidential Election 2008, Results by Voting Block!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OMG. Oklahoma Presidential Election 2008, Results by Voting Block!!!!  (Read 4599 times)
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 04, 2010, 02:46:26 PM »
« edited: January 08, 2011, 07:53:04 PM by Mr. Fuzzleton »

Take a look!!!

http://newsok.com/blue-votes-dotted-oklahoma-nov.-4/article/3324387

Sorry about the quality, but they do have individual maps for Tulsa and Oklahoma County.

But otherwise, Cheesy

I've been looking for a Oklahoma block/precinct results map for months, which is why I'm so excited.  Maybe the individual results can be put in the redistricting app.....
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 04:33:36 AM »

Dark red (mistakenly shown as blue) enclaves based on the towns of Fort Coffee, Taft and Boley (also read wiki), though I'm utterly perplexed by the lack of a similar enclave at Langston. (wiki, also read here)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 01:25:29 PM »

Cool!!  I knew I had seen quite a few Obama bumper-stickers and yard signs in the weeks leading up to the 2008 elections.  It looks like Obama murdered McCain in Downtown Oklahoma City, which verifies with where I saw the largest concentration of Obama signs.  I just hope that in 2012, Obama can manage to win at least one county.  I'm not holding my breath, though.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 04:24:25 AM »

Thanks, didn't notice that.

Idabel (Pushmataha Co) looks strange... one McCain precinct, one >75 Obama precinct. It's 25% Black  - very high for smalltown Oklahoma, but not really enough to explain that result even with strong residential segregation.
And Ardmore's Black population seems to live in a ghetto. (If they're the Obama voting people there).
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 08:07:17 PM »

Idabel (Pushmataha Co) looks strange... one McCain precinct, one >75 Obama precinct. It's 25% Black  - very high for smalltown Oklahoma, but not really enough to explain that result even with strong residential segregation.
And Ardmore's Black population seems to live in a ghetto. (If they're the Obama voting people there).

Technically, Idabel is McCurtain County at the very Southeast tip of the state.  Pushmataha Co. is just to it's northwest south of McAlester (Pittsburgh Co.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 03:37:14 AM »

Technically, Idabel is McCurtain County at the very Southeast tip of the state.  Pushmataha Co. is just to it's northwest south of McAlester (Pittsburgh Co.)
Yeah, silly me. I mean, I actually noticed that I'm remembering that wrong while writing that post - then put my wrong memory in anyways... Sad
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 11:22:35 AM »

Yeah, silly me. I mean, I actually noticed that I'm remembering that wrong while writing that post - then put my wrong memory in anyways... Sad

That's fine!!  Nobody can remember all the geography of the entire world all the time, so it's understandable!!!
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 01:57:15 PM »

Anyone know where the white-majority Obama precincts were? I'm guessing almost all are in central Tulsa and central OKC, perhaps Norman.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 12:30:13 PM »

There must've been a few in Little Dixie.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 01:18:19 PM »

Comparing the Oklahoma County map at the link with a census bureau map of the county by census tract - the western end of that solid Obama voting territory, round about Will Rogers Turnpike, has healthy nhw majorities (though is not lilywhite), as do at least a few scattered Obama precincts elsewhere.
Tulsa is rather more segregated than OKC (Tulsa Race Riot legacy, anybody?), and the vast majority of the light blue precincts are majority nhw, though again, not lilywhite (though the minorities in question might be Hispanic or Indian. Too lazy to check right now.)
Norman has minorities, but no minority-dominated areas - and it seems fairly clear that it voted for Obama.
While Lawton has no lily-white areas, and yeah, the Black areas are distributed that oddly.
Two more cities with several Dem precincts are Okmulgee and Muskogee. Both have a lot of Indians as well as Blacks... and judging by the map (but the detail is just not enough) I wonder if one of the two Obama>75 precincts is even minority-majority at all. I mean, there's two census tracts roughly where the two >75 precincts are, and they're the least White in the county at 33% and 59%. But, I dunno, maybe the 59% one reaches over into the McCain precincts west of it. The rural Obama precinct outside of Okmulgee has a large (but under 50%) minority population too, Indian rather than Black I think.
While Muskogee has a fairly clearly delineated colored westside. (The fairly sizable precinct north of the >75 ones must be mostly urban in population though not in area covered.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies