How can you be so stupid!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:57:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How can you be so stupid!!  (Read 8019 times)
Hearnes
A.B.B
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2004, 05:31:21 PM »

I have been in London, Paris and Stockholm last week. I just want you to know I havenīt met anyone who would have voted for Bush.

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 05:33:49 PM »

I agree. What were the 55,638,551 people who voted for John Kerry thinking?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 05:35:09 PM »

I have been in London, Paris and Stockholm last week. I just want you to know I havenīt met anyone who would have voted for Bush.

By having different opinions on issues than you.  Look, Bush won.  We can't change that.  Let's just get over it and stop allowing negative feelings to fester.  It's not going to help anything.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 05:36:13 PM »

I honestly don't understand why anyone would care about another nation's elections.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 05:36:24 PM »

I don't care what those other people say(I didn't vote Bush anyways). How can you be so arrogant as to tell us what is best for us?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 05:43:19 PM »

I realize Europeans can't imagine what is going on in America.   Just remember we're more like Saudi Arabia than France.  And by the way, the Euro just hit a new high today - 1.2962 to the dollar!  The market speaks.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/041106/euro_rally_1.html
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004, 05:49:17 PM »

A few things that I think need to be said:

1. Just because one holds a strong opinion does not make anyone who doesn't hold it stupid. They can be wrong in one's eye, but attempting to push away their opinions, calling them "stupid" without providing reason, is foolish, because it results in no understanding of why something happened, whether you agree with it or not.

2. Bush is every American's President right now. It may not be the President every American preferred, nor one that every American accepts, but he is legally the United States President. He belongs to no one.

3. The rest of the world cares about our elections because we are a major super power. What we do affects the rest of the world profoundly. They have the result to seek out information and voice their opinion if they wish. They have just as much right to be interested in the American elections as we do and telling them to stop paying attention is pointless.

4. 37% of people in Massachusetts voted for Bush. 38% of people in Texas voted for Kerry. That's more than 1-in-3 people. There are Democrats in Texas, and Republicans in Massachusetts. The electoral system makes it look like we are much more divided by city vs. country than we actually are. The truth is, 37 or 38 in 100 people represents a huge sector of the population. Generalizations do not help.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2004, 05:50:55 PM »

What we do does not affect Great Britain or France, except as it relates to trade.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 05:52:25 PM »

What we do does not affect Great Britain or France, except as it relates to trade.

You are underestimating the power that America has worldwide.

We have the power to destroy entire nations via trade decisions. We set culture standards throughout the world. We are the most important nation in the entire world.

And, moreover, even if we weren't, why isn't their seeking information and expressing opinions a good thing? Just because they disagree with you does not make their opinion any less valid.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 05:55:45 PM »

It's fine to have an opinion, but actually caring who wins is absurd.

Bush is pro- free trade, so he obviously isn't worried about that. Our cultural standards are not set by our government.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2004, 06:05:22 PM »

It's fine to have an opinion, but actually caring who wins is absurd.

Plenty of people cared about Spain's elections.

It comes down to this - many people can't mind their own business nor can they respect the decisions of others. Spain made their decision, whether I like it or not, but it is their government and it is their business how it is run. I want the same respect from the rest of the world pertaining to our elections.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2004, 06:09:57 PM »

I 'cared' about that because they surrendered to the terrorists. But I didn't actually care.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2004, 06:10:22 PM »

Yeah? Well just be glad you don't live here then.

Maybe we think you're stupid for electing the people you elect. Where, Sweden? Not that many of us know who runs your country, I must mention, because no one really cares!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2004, 06:18:20 PM »

Yeah? Well just be glad you don't live here then.

Maybe we think you're stupid for electing the people you elect. Where, Sweden? Not that many of us know who runs your country, I must mention, because no one really cares!

Sweden's Prime Minister is Goran Persson, I believe, although I may have spelled it wrong. And it's our right to think who they elect is stupid. We also have the right to care about Sweden if we wanted to, just like they have the right to care about us.

Your not caring about Sweden is a personal decision, as is their caring about our elections.

("Your not caring about Sweden is a personal decision" may be one of the stupidest sentences I have ever typed, by the way.)
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2004, 06:28:21 PM »

A few things that I think need to be said:

1. Just because one holds a strong opinion does not make anyone who doesn't hold it stupid. They can be wrong in one's eye, but attempting to push away their opinions, calling them "stupid" without providing reason, is foolish, because it results in no understanding of why something happened, whether you agree with it or not.

2. Bush is every American's President right now. It may not be the President every American preferred, nor one that every American accepts, but he is legally the United States President. He belongs to no one.

3. The rest of the world cares about our elections because we are a major super power. What we do affects the rest of the world profoundly. They have the result to seek out information and voice their opinion if they wish. They have just as much right to be interested in the American elections as we do and telling them to stop paying attention is pointless.

4. 37% of people in Massachusetts voted for Bush. 38% of people in Texas voted for Kerry. That's more than 1-in-3 people. There are Democrats in Texas, and Republicans in Massachusetts. The electoral system makes it look like we are much more divided by city vs. country than we actually are. The truth is, 37 or 38 in 100 people represents a huge sector of the population. Generalizations do not help.

Thanks you Alcon.  Well said.

Hearnes: in the words of Dick Cheney, "f$@# off".  If you consistently demean the intelligence of others who hold different opinions or have different values from you, you are no believer in freedom of speech.  You are not culturally aware.  You are the one who is stupid.  Democrats are welcome to keep up this kind of rhetoric: they'll only lose bigger in 2008. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2004, 06:28:51 PM »

STFU, really you pitiful little troll. Screw you guys we should have left you piddle around with your nazi buddies in the 1940s. So sad so many Americans gave their lifes defending you ungrateful SOBs. AND YES I DO FEEL THAT WAY! Lead, follow, or get the HELL out of the way!
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2004, 06:49:26 PM »

By having different opinions on issues than you.  Look, Bush won.  We can't change that.  Let's just get over it and stop allowing negative feelings to fester.  It's not going to help anything.

Thank you Gabu. Finally someone says something logical!
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2004, 10:38:51 PM »

Hmm....London, Paris, and Stockholm.  That will give you a very good understanding of the American electorate.  How can you be so stupid as to consider anyone who votes to reelect someone who has policies they support stupid?  Perhaps instead of name calling, if you really wanted to understand how it is that you can be so ignorant of Americans, you would actually seek us out and have a rational conversation with one.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2004, 10:45:24 PM »

I know very few people in Philadelphia, PA that would vote for Chirac or Major.  Are the French and British "stupid?"

Well, the French-types are, sawed off, smelly, arrogant, beret wearing, champaign swilling preverts, who probably post to much in forums, but they are not stupid.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2004, 11:31:53 PM »

Since your title is a question, the proper punctuation you should use is ? instead of !. HOW COULD YOU BE SO STUPID?
struct310
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2004, 02:26:18 AM »

Yes Europe has a right to their opinion on war issues that effect them and economic issues that effect them, but they have absolutely no right to judge us on moral issues.  Europe should have no opinion on our death penalty, abortion policy, gay policy, religious policy, and other social issues.  Yet they try to anyways, they cant possibly understand why we feel the way we do.  And they have no ethical right to print in a UK news paper on the front page "How can 59something million people be so dumb?" 
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2004, 05:43:12 AM »

You are underestimating the power that America has worldwide.

We have the power to destroy entire nations via trade decisions. We set culture standards throughout the world. We are the most important nation in the entire world.

And, moreover, even if we weren't, why isn't their seeking information and expressing opinions a good thing? Just because they disagree with you does not make their opinion any less valid.

First, don't forget that France has nuclear weapons. Hence, France can destroy US (can you be a superpower if you can be destroy so easily?).

Second, without draft, US can not invade a new country.

Third, France and USA have not interest to have a economic war between them.

Four, US has a budget deficit and a commercial deficit. China has the control of the american deficit. In one day, China can provoke a US crash (a man (here a nation) who lives on credit can have a problem with his banker).

Five, Bush is (maybe) stupid but it's still more stupid to think that people who voted for him were stupid.

In conclusion, USA is (maybe) a superpower but has some great weakness too.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2004, 08:13:52 AM »

This is really not true.  The US is so powerful that we affect other countries without even knowing it, or sometimes without intending to.  It is only natural to be interested in the future direction of such a powerful country.

That being said, the European position should be watchful interest, not condescension toward US voters.  The Europeans focus their dislike on George Bush, but the reality is that they don't really like the US, and Bush is just a convenient target.  We have significantly diverged in our values, and Europe suffers the impotent jealousy of the old leader who has lost power to the upstart.  Europeans loved Clinton because there wasn't much to deal with during Clinton's term in office, so the differences in values could be masked.  Also, Clinton's overall behavior was much closer to the European standard than what is acceptable in middle America.

I think the Europeans have a very similar attitude toward middle America as the coastal elites have.  These people who champion tolerance are actually quite bigoted and condescending.  Sure, there are stupid conservatives, but the ranks of Democratic voters are packed with semi-literate morons, so liberals have no business saying that Republican voters are stupid.

Let's face the facts about Europe - this is a continent that turned over its defense to the US because (1) they didn't have the 'nads to do it themselves; and (2) they are so inept that they can't manage their own affairs without devastating wars.  Since they effectively turned the management of their external defense to the US, they have enjoyed the longest period of peace and prosperty in their history.  They should be on their knees thanking us for all we've done for them.

The reality is that over time, the US approach to world affairs has worked better than the European one.  Had we followed the European - or for that matter, Democratic - approach during the latter half of the Cold War, we may have lost the Cold War, and at the very least we'd probably still be dealing with a hostile Soviet Union.  Without our defensive shield, Europe would have succumbed in whole to the Soviet onslaught, and become one big gulag.  With this record, there's no reason to believe that current European thinking would produce any better results.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2004, 11:10:27 AM »

well, when Londoners aren't busy reading about the tabloid antics of their aristocracy, and Parisians aren't busy supporting Jean-Marie Le Pen, and Stockholm folks aren't busy Lamenting the assassination of high-ranking Euro supporters, they certainly have an opportunity to offer their opinions.

What the hell is wrong with us?  We don't have a monarchy posing nude and existing on the backs of laborers.  We don't nearly elect ultranationalist bigots, then claim to be embarrassed about it, and we don't usually resort to political assassination when leaders offer support of currency changes.

But, maybe we should study and learn.  That'd make 'em happy in London, Stockholm, and Paris?  You really are quite naive.  And frustrated.  That's to be understood.  It is very likely that Kerry could be controlled better than Bush.  I suspect that's part of the reason he lost.  Shall we explain more?  Or is the last act in civilized debate to call another "stupid" and claim racial, religious, and moral superiority over the rest of the world?  After all, Europeans have been doing just that for the last 600 years, why stop now?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2004, 11:22:29 AM »

The American people have spoken. You may not like what they have said, but they have spoken.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies