Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 10:08:54 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Congressional Elections (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | |-+  Latest Generic Polls: Ras +12%R; WSJ 6%R; Gallup 15%R; CNN 10R; Fox13R; Bloom 3R
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Latest Generic Polls: Ras +12%R; WSJ 6%R; Gallup 15%R; CNN 10R; Fox13R; Bloom 3R  (Read 13481 times)
CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2010, 05:25:02 pm »
Ignore

Warning!

There is a new Roper poll coming out which (based on initial limited data) appears to be wildly off!

So, when it appears, please be skeptical.

Registered in Arizona for Fantasy election purposes.
memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2010, 06:16:42 pm »
Ignore

ag, doesn't inflation hit the middle class the hardest?

The poor aren't hit the hardest because they generally live paycheck to paycheck - they have little savings. And during inflation, wages usually rise just as fast as prices. So the net effect on the poor would be nil.

The wealthy, of course, have assets - homes, stocks, land - that all rise in value with inflation. That protects them.

The middle class though, have cash savings which can easily be wiped out by inflation if not invested. Isn't this what happened during hyperinflation in Germany (of course they're not the same thing, but still)?

Also,doesn't inflation hurt creditors at the expense of debtors? The reason being that debt is not indexed to inflation, so over time, it decreases the debt load, where deflation increases it. This is why poor farmers in the American midwest advocated inflationary (or at least anti-deflationary) policies in the late 19th century.

Hardly anybody has substantial cash lying around in the bank, and most people are a paycheck or two away from serious trouble. Short of the crazy, runaway inflation in unstable nations, the worst inflation does to most people is the "OMGZ, I remember when five cents was a lot of money" crap I hear from my dad. 

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
I will get up and move around every now and then so I reduce the chances to get hit with another Grade 8 headache in the morning.
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2010, 09:25:26 pm »
Ignore

ag, doesn't inflation hit the middle class the hardest?

The poor aren't hit the hardest because they generally live paycheck to paycheck - they have little savings. And during inflation, wages usually rise just as fast as prices. So the net effect on the poor would be nil.

The wealthy, of course, have assets - homes, stocks, land - that all rise in value with inflation. That protects them.

The middle class though, have cash savings which can easily be wiped out by inflation if not invested. Isn't this what happened during hyperinflation in Germany (of course they're not the same thing, but still)?

Also,doesn't inflation hurt creditors at the expense of debtors? The reason being that debt is not indexed to inflation, so over time, it decreases the debt load, where deflation increases it. This is why poor farmers in the American midwest advocated inflationary (or at least anti-deflationary) policies in the late 19th century.

Hardly anybody has substantial cash lying around in the bank, and most people are a paycheck or two away from serious trouble. Short of the crazy, runaway inflation in unstable nations, the worst inflation does to most people is the "OMGZ, I remember when five cents was a lot of money" crap I hear from my dad. 

Memphis, who was president during our last inflationary period and what happened to him?

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2010, 03:04:51 pm »
Ignore

RCP has an article going over a bunch of polls, generic and race specific. The shocker was that the GOP challenger was ahead by 4-5 points in MI-9.  Michigan seems to be joining Ohio as a blowout state.

Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
YaBB God
United States

P
View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2010, 05:31:44 pm »
Ignore

RCP has an article going over a bunch of polls, generic and race specific. The shocker was that the GOP challenger was ahead by 4-5 points in MI-9.  Michigan seems to be joining Ohio as a blowout state.

Peters barely won in a 2008 wave in which he underperformed Obama by about 7% against a very weak incumbent and was on everyone's endangered list from that moment onwards. Its an overwhelmingly Republican area on the local level, and in that respect looks a lot like PA-06 or PA-12 for the GOP, ie. fools gold because the PVI is highly misleading. It was quite obviously a top fifteen target along with MI-7 even in a neutral year, and it falling is like hearing that AZ-05 is. Bad news, but far less scary than the CA-20 poll, or the MA-10 primary numbers. Now those point more towards a 50+ seat loss.
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2010, 04:58:55 pm »
Ignore

Gallup
9/13-19/10; 2,925 registered voters, 2% margin of error
Mode: Live telephone interviews

2010 Congress: Generic Ballot
46% Democrat, 45% Republican

Rasmussen
9/13-19/10; 3,500 likely voters, 2% margin of error
Mode: Automated phone

48% Republican, 38% Democrat

memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2010, 06:03:09 pm »
Ignore

Memphis, who was president during our last inflationary period and what happened to him?

yeah, inflation is like being in a meat grinder.  it makes almost everyone very angry and feel poorer.  I think Americans would explode is they had to endur a couple of years of 10% inflation.

Inflation is a meat grinder for large sums of money in the bank. Something most people don't have. There is a psychological OMGZ I remember when 5 cents was a a lot of money effect that annoys people (and perceptions are important) but it doesn't really make any practical difference.

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
I will get up and move around every now and then so I reduce the chances to get hit with another Grade 8 headache in the morning.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2010, 06:13:05 pm »
Ignore

Gallup

Rasmussen

Hmm, interesting contrast we have here.  Surprised to see the Dems leading on the Gallup ballot though.

"Human beings are not much. But they may still be much more."
Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2010, 07:12:39 pm »
Ignore

Further data from Rasmussen's sample: Palin's fav/unfav numbers are 48/49 and health care's numbers are 33/56 support/oppose. Whether or not that reflects the electorate is debatable since this is quite a conservative slice of America; it's interesting to think of the Republican ballot number tracking exactly with Palin's favorables.
CARLHAYDEN
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2010, 08:52:09 pm »
Ignore

Gallup

Rasmussen

Hmm, interesting contrast we have here.  Surprised to see the Dems leading on the Gallup ballot though.

Gallup has had some really weird swings in its surveys the past few weeks.

Expect the next Gallup poll to show the Republicans up several points, given the pendulum trend of Gallup.

Registered in Arizona for Fantasy election purposes.
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2010, 12:23:03 am »
Ignore

yeah, inflation is like being in a meat grinder.  it makes almost everyone very angry and feel poorer.  I think Americans would explode is they had to endur a couple of years of 10% inflation.

Inflation is a meat grinder for large sums of money in the bank. Something most people don't have. There is a psychological OMGZ I remember when 5 cents was a a lot of money effect that annoys people (and perceptions are important) but it doesn't really make any practical difference.

Yes it does, if you are trying to save money or are on a fixed income.

J. J.

- Londo Molari

"Wa sala, wa lala."

J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2010, 02:51:17 pm »
Ignore

Rasmussen, +10 GOP 48/38.

J. J.

- Londo Molari

"Wa sala, wa lala."

Dgov
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2010, 06:18:50 pm »
Ignore

Not Technically a Generic Ballot, but the parties have similar favorable rankings among registered voters.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/143213/Republican-Democratic-Party-Favorability-Identical.aspx

Which is terrible for the Democrats, as their 53% disapproval rating is the highest it's ever been by 6-7 points, and for all their talk about the Tea party making the GOP unelectable, the party has gained about 10 approval points since they first emerged in early 2009.

Political Matrix:  +7.1, -3.83

A world without sin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-NVs68X_S4
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2010, 12:53:05 pm »
Ignore

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll has the GOP up by 9% (53%-44%).

J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2010, 02:35:29 pm »
Ignore

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll has the GOP up by 9% (53%-44%).

Generally an 8-12 point range across polls.

J. J.

- Londo Molari

"Wa sala, wa lala."

The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2010, 06:36:51 pm »
Ignore

Gallup

Rasmussen

Hmm, interesting contrast we have here.  Surprised to see the Dems leading on the Gallup ballot though.

Let's put "tied" into perspective.

In 1994 Gallup had the "generic ballot" tied, and we all know how that turned out.

The AVERAGE of the last 4 mid term elections, the Gallup RV generic ballot has under-polled the GOP by 7+ %

Tied in RVs is a big night for the GOP, anything above that is really putting a hurt on the Dems.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 11:33:53 am by The Vorlon »Logged

No man's liberty is safe while Congress is in session...Thomas Jefferson
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2010, 02:55:46 pm »
Ignore

New Ras generic poll: +6%R (46-40).

Lief
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2010, 03:24:37 pm »
Ignore

The generic ballot has tightened considerably in the last month: http://www.pollster.com/polls/us/10-us-house-genballot.php

At the very least, this turn of events seems to validate my prediction that Americans are ready and willing to fully embrace fascism.
I dreamed about Lief spanking Rand Paul.
TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2010, 04:46:29 pm »
Ignore

+6 from Ras is great news.

Economic score: -6.26
Social score: -7.74
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2010, 05:52:20 pm »
Ignore

It might be an outlier.  That is highest D number since June 2009.  It was a 2 point increase as well.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:56:30 pm by J. J. »Logged

J. J.

- Londo Molari

"Wa sala, wa lala."

Vepres
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.26, S: -7.39

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2010, 07:01:15 pm »
Ignore

The generic ballot has tightened considerably in the last month: http://www.pollster.com/polls/us/10-us-house-genballot.php

Interesting, though it was clear a GOP lead as high as it was in the late-summer was not going to last. Still, as Vorlon pointed out, if the Republicans are ahead, it's a bad night for Democrats.

LOL, Failure

Alright, if Republicans gain less than 75 seats, I'll prominently display my failure in my signature.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2010, 11:41:04 am »
Ignore

Interesting, though it was clear a GOP lead as high as it was in the late-summer was not going to last. Still, as Vorlon pointed out, if the Republicans are ahead, it's a bad night for Democrats.

Gallup will shift to a likely voter model next week, and assuming Gallup uses their standard model, current data suggest a gap of about 9 points between RV and LVs in the Gallup universe.

UPDATE:

Gallup's website suggest a 10%+ GOP lead using "likely Voters"

Additionally, preliminary modeling of the likely electorate using Gallupís traditional likely voter questions (more on this next week) suggests that if current patterns persist, Republicans could have a double-digit lead in the national House vote on Election Day, which would translate into Republicans gaining well above the number of seats necessary to control the House.

http://2010central.gallup.com/2010/09/story-of-election-disproportionate.html

It is "highly" unlikely that kind of enthusiasm gap will last till election day, I would expect it to narrow to the more normal midterm  6% (ish) gap between RVs and LVs by election day
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:42:49 pm by The Vorlon »Logged

J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2010, 01:51:49 pm »
Ignore

Vorlon, you are calling for a sixty seat Republican gain in the House?

J. J.

- Londo Molari

"Wa sala, wa lala."

The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2010, 03:33:41 pm »
Ignore

Vorlon, you are calling for a sixty seat Republican gain in the House?

"calling for" would imply advocacy for that outcome, and I don't actually trust the GOP enough to want them to have that many seats.  

There are about 35 Dem seats that are basically "gone", baring some major shift the race is over.  There are another 35 or so where it is very very close, more or less toss-ups  I expect the GOP to win about 3/4s of them or so.  The Dems will likely win back LA2, HI1, and Delaware AL, ~~maybe~~ Illinois 10, so yes 60 seats +/- is the middle of the range.

There are dozens of seats, mainly in the Midwest, that are all very close, so it's really hard to get an exact read right now.  A shift or even 2 or 3 points Nationally changes a couple dozen seats in the house.  It's actually quite exciting.  Depending on the turnout model, GOP gains could be anywhere from 28 to about 105 seats at the extreme ends of the spectrum.

In politics, follow the money - The GOP is shifting money from the mid-west to the coasts.  You play offense in the other guys marginals, and if the marginals are New York, California, Washington, the GOP is looking at 60 (ish) seats.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:43:35 pm by The Vorlon »Logged

Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2010, 03:42:23 pm »
Ignore

Ok, so which 35 seats to you are "gone" for the Dems?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout