Latest Generic Polls: Ras +12%R; WSJ 6%R; Gallup 15%R; CNN 10R; Fox13R; Bloom 3R (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:07:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Latest Generic Polls: Ras +12%R; WSJ 6%R; Gallup 15%R; CNN 10R; Fox13R; Bloom 3R (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Latest Generic Polls: Ras +12%R; WSJ 6%R; Gallup 15%R; CNN 10R; Fox13R; Bloom 3R  (Read 25135 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: September 07, 2010, 04:22:59 PM »

Obama's win in 2008 was the worst thing that ever happened to the Democrats.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 04:33:05 PM »

LOL.

So this would have us believe that 8 million people changed their mind in the past week.

Well I don't understand how the GOP's generic lead could go from 8 points to 16 points in two months. What's happened since July? Not all that much. The Gulf oil leak was plugged. That should help Obama. The Iraq pullout completed. That, too, should have helped Obama. At this rate, by November the GOP lead will be 24 points.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So Gallup has two sites now? Because the link Smash provided clearly backs up his assertion, whereas I don't see anything on the link you provided contradicting that.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:42:21 PM »

Obama's win in 2008 was the worst thing that ever happened to the Democrats.

BINGO.  And the only way to to give Democrats any chance of a comeback is to make sure he tanks in 2012.  
Because what the country needed was McCain making Supreme Court picks right? If only for the chance to replenish our bench on the Supreme Court with younger justices Obama was necessary. Also, I think you are seriously underestimating how much trouble we would be in right now with McCain(the country not the party), and just because we are going to lose a few seats in the midterm doesn't change that fact.

Plus, Obama's been pretty good. Much too conservative, but still pretty good. We have healthcare and financial reform and I'll take that.

But it's not even clear that Souter and Stevens would have retired had McCain won.

I disagree with Mr Phips on 2012, but it's pretty clear that Obama's win in 2008 is similar to Jimmy Carter's win in 1976, or Herbert Hoover's win in 1928: one of those rare elections where it would have been better to lose.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 09:12:40 PM »

I wish it were so. That's a noble sentiment; it is only contradicted by all the evidence.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 01:27:45 AM »

ag, doesn't inflation hit the middle class the hardest?

The poor aren't hit the hardest because they generally live paycheck to paycheck - they have little savings. And during inflation, wages usually rise just as fast as prices. So the net effect on the poor would be nil.

The wealthy, of course, have assets - homes, stocks, land - that all rise in value with inflation. That protects them.

The middle class though, have cash savings which can easily be wiped out by inflation if not invested. Isn't this what happened during hyperinflation in Germany (of course they're not the same thing, but still)?

Also,doesn't inflation hurt creditors at the expense of debtors? The reason being that debt is not indexed to inflation, so over time, it decreases the debt load, where deflation increases it. This is why poor farmers in the American midwest advocated inflationary (or at least anti-deflationary) policies in the late 19th century.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 08:41:06 AM »

I believe Gallup more than Rasmussen. They have more of a track record. Rasmussen is like the Fox News of polling. Some of their stuff is accurate to maintain their reputation, but they shouldn't be the go-to place.

As for Gallup, this number is horrific. The entire basis of the New Democratic party built up by Bill Clinton was moderates. That's now collapsed, with almost all the shift moving towards the conservative side. I don't think Obama can possibly recover from this. He's likely a one term President.

Yeah but is there any reason why it would narrow significantly in the next few weeks?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 12:02:24 AM »

Why should we expect those who are still undecided at this point to show up at the polls?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies