Murkowski denied Libertarian party spot. Write-in campaign still possible
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:04:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Murkowski denied Libertarian party spot. Write-in campaign still possible
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Murkowski denied Libertarian party spot. Write-in campaign still possible  (Read 6228 times)
redcommander
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2010, 04:48:39 PM »
« edited: September 13, 2010, 06:32:18 PM by redcommander »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/07/AR2010090704459.html
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 05:20:40 PM »

She's also now saying she is still in the game.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/07/AR2010090704459.html
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »

...don't tell me we're about to see another Lieberman/Crist.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 05:23:37 PM »

Cool.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 05:25:10 PM »

...don't tell me we're about to see another Lieberman/Crist.

Perhaps, I personally thought she was going to go away after her primary loss, but that certainly is big news that she has actually sat down and spoken with the Libertarian nominee.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 05:27:03 PM »

A) From a political nerd point of view, as we all are, we can presumably all agree that this makes the race way more interesting, but...

B) Miller will probably still win.

Still, I'll be interested to see a vaguely competitive Senate race. It's good to see the Libertarians might change their minds on endorsing Murkowski - throwing away their only chance of electing a Senator, ever, was lunacy.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 09:55:27 PM »

The Republicans will, of course, hold this, but it would be pretty cool to see a Libertarian Senator for a few months. Grin
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 09:58:28 PM »

The power drive of some politicians just amazes me, as they destroy themselves to try to retain it.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 10:24:50 PM »

This could actually be a huge blow to the two major parties (particularly the ultra socially conservative individuals of them... i.e. Palin losing any remote chance of ever becoming president).

I never understood why the Libertarian Party refused to pick up moderate Republicans in addition to the strong fi-cons it has now. It provides a much better base in terms of politicians and supporters. It also allows the United States to move into the libertarian direction.

That said, the corruption and politics of Murkowski would need to change for it to be highly successful (I actually really don't like her, but Alaskans do). I really don't see a failure being too bad of a PR nightmare, however. It's not like the Libertarians have much ground to lose.

The ideology is great and all, but if they cannot reach out, how would Libertarians be any better than the neocons and statists in the two major parties?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 10:26:36 PM »

So Murkowski wants to burn any bridge she has at an ambassadorship or some other cushy job?
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 10:27:28 PM »

The power drive of some politicians just amazes me, as they destroy themselves to try to retain it.
When you are a member of a club of 100 of the most powerful people in the world it's tough to leave that behind.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 10:28:14 PM »

It's good to see the Libertarians might change their minds on endorsing Murkowski - throwing away their only chance of electing a Senator, ever, was lunacy.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 10:30:38 PM »

This could actually be a huge blow to the two major parties (particularly the ultra socially conservative individuals of them... i.e. Palin losing any remote chance of ever becoming president).

I never understood why the Libertarian Party refused to pick up moderate Republicans in addition to the strong fi-cons it has now. It provides a much better base in terms of politicians and supporters. It also allows the United States to move into the libertarian direction.

Perhaps because moderate Republicans are the ideological opposites of libertarians. Though I guess adhering to libertarianism has never mattered much to the Libertarians.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This makes no sense at all. The Libertarians would become "better than the neocons and statists in the two major parties" by bringing opportunistic neocons and statists into their own party?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 10:43:15 PM »

That said, the corruption and politics of Murkowski would need to change for it to be highly successful (I actually really don't like her, but Alaskans do). I really don't see a failure being too bad of a PR nightmare, however. It's not like the Libertarians have much ground to lose.

The ideology is great and all, but if they cannot reach out, how would Libertarians be any better than the neocons and statists in the two major parties?

Frankly, the LP is run by purists, who would probably consider me a statist. It is sad, because they could win 15% of the vote regularly if they accepted everybody who was fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

I found this humorous graphic that summarizes their general attitude:

Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 12:23:09 AM »

Frankly, the LP is run by purists, who would probably consider me a statist. It is sad, because they could win 15% of the vote regularly if they accepted everybody who was fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

LOL, that's hilarious. Good one, Vep. Grin
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 12:26:11 AM »

Well, purists compared to everybody except you Tongue
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 12:32:57 AM »

Well, purists compared to everybody except you Tongue

Actually the Libertarian Party already has the reputation of being a Republican-lite party. "Pure" libertarians aren't even welcome in the LP, but neocon Republicans are.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 12:34:32 AM »

The Republicans will, of course, hold this, but it would be pretty cool to see a Libertarian Senator for a few months. Grin

I'm pretty sure she'll still be pro-war, pro wasteful military spending, anti  gay marriage, pro making abortions harder to get, and so on.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 12:36:17 AM »

I'm pretty sure she'll still be pro-war, pro wasteful military spending, anti  gay marriage, pro making abortions harder to get, and so on.

I was going to say, how are those libertarian positions? lol
Dgov
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 03:45:33 AM »

Yeah, this might have worked for the Alaska LP if The Senator was leaning towards being a Libertarian rather than a statist Republican.  Alaska is one of the most Libertarian states (bible belt it is not), coupled with small size and mediocre opponents would have made this the LP's best opportunity for a pickup ever.

Which is very lucky for the Republican party, given that I'd bet between 20-25% of the Republican party is Ideologically Libertarian (including myself) and a feasible Libertarian party would almost certainly cut into their margins.  In Texas the LP usually gets around 5% on the ballot in Congressional races after all.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 03:29:56 PM »

Her best option would probably be to stay silent for a couple years, move to the right on some social issues, then challenge Begich in 2014, where she'd have an excellent shot at getting back in the Senate.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 04:46:38 PM »

That's pretty ridiculous. The party that nominated Bob Barr is a lot of things, but purist is not one of them.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 04:56:20 PM »

That's pretty ridiculous. The party that nominated Bob Barr is a lot of things, but purist is not one of them.

If you go around to libertarian party member forums, they'll tell you nominating Barr was a terrible decision. I happen to agree, but we come to different conclusions. They say it was because he wasn't "pure" enough, while I think he was opportunistic and too socially conservative.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 06:18:01 PM »

If you go around to libertarian party member forums, they'll tell you nominating Barr was a terrible decision. I happen to agree, but we come to different conclusions. They say it was because he wasn't "pure" enough, while I think he was opportunistic and too socially conservative.

LOL

Bob Barr's running mate, "Millionaire Republican" W.A.R. is still considered the front-runner for the LP nomination in 2012.

As for Barr doing poorly because he was "too socially conservative", that's another lol...
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 02:26:15 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://dailycaller.com/2010/08/27/libertarians-weigh-murkowski-run/
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies