Have you forgotten?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:51:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Have you forgotten?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Have you forgotten?  (Read 2010 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:45:49 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6yLQRF-cEU
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 01:56:00 AM »

That's a fairly amusing topic for a pro-Iraq War song. Yes, people were opposed to invading a country that had nothing to do with 9/11 because they had forgotten about it.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 02:11:35 AM »

Forgotten what?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 02:56:27 AM »

Ugh - putrid, offensive and basically the equivalent of saying 'you pinko commies who don't want us to go into I-raq have like forgotten that those people attacked us on 9/11'... ugh made me want to throw things at the TV when I first saw it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 03:07:33 AM »

http://www.theonion.com/video/country-music-stars-challenge-alqaeda-with-patriot,14172/
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 09:24:36 AM »

No, I haven't forget September 11, 1973 in Chile Tongue
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 09:25:19 AM »

Yes, that was a great day for Chile, o/c.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 09:32:35 AM »

Yes, that was a great day for Chile, o/c.

"Great day for Chile"
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 09:41:33 AM »

http://www.amconmag.com/tactv/2010/09/10/did-the-terrorists-win-on-911/
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 09:46:44 AM »

We were justified in responding to 9/11. The end.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 09:57:53 AM »

I think StatesRights is the first right-wing user to make it to my ignore list.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 09:58:38 AM »

I think StatesRights is the first right-wing user to make it to my ignore list.

Awesome! Lets ignore everyone we disagree with.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 10:10:12 AM »

Hard to rhyme with bin Laden.  "Have you forgotten?" isn't bad, but what about au gratin?

Osama bin Laden
Likes potatoes au Gratin.
That means he likes France
so he has ants in his pants.

Or how about rotten?  or down-trodden?  or even John Madden (okay, you have to pronounce his name funny to make it work).  

Okay, I'll grant you that "Have you forgotten?" probably works better.

While we're on the topic of "other" September 11ths, why not remember the 401st anniversary of Henry Hudson's discovery of Manhattan island?  

Or the fact that on September 11, 1941 construction began on the Pentagon?

On September 11, 1777 the American flag was used for the first time on a battlefield.  This was the battle of Brandywine.

On September 11, 1980 President George Bush gave a memorable speech to congress outlining the US position on Kuwait and the first steps toward the First Gulf War.

According to Bishop Ussher's calculations, September 11, 1999 was the 6000th anniversary of Adam, the Hebrew take on the First Man.

According to British cuneiform scholars who have interpreted dates on tablets relevant to biblical events, Jesus of Nazareth was born on or about September 11, 3BC.

And, of course, on September 11, 1922, over Arab protests, the British mandate of Palestine was created to provide, among other things, a homeland for the Jewish people.

But, before you think me a total smart-alek, and in the spirit in which your original post was intended, I'd agree that here in the USA, the most significant event ever to happen on September 11 was the terrorists attacks of 2001.  I don't think we'll forget lost lives and wounded pride.  I don't think we'll forget who did it and I don't think we'll forget about justice.  We may not all agree on the significance or the best course of action, but we haven't forgotten.  Those who fly flags will fly them in the spirit of unity and of liberty.  Those who give speeches will speak not only of crisis, but also of recovery and of hope.  And those who pray will pray, not only for the souls of the victims, but also for the souls of the perpetrators.  And for peace.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 10:28:41 AM »

No, but our nation needs to move on already.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »

^^
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 10:59:26 AM »

The war is a bastardization and abuse of the memory of the victims of that day.  I certainly have never and will never forget ALL the victims of that day, not just the American Christians.  And I will not support the continued deaths of Americans and Iraqis in the name of 9/11 victims.  This is not their war, it's not my war and it's not our war.  It's our government's war and it has nothing to do with 9/11, its perpetrators, or its victims.  It's another typical case of skape-goating to get away with something unrelated to something that actually means something to us.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 11:24:02 AM »

Fezzy, I'm talking about the afghan war, which is about 9/11.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 11:28:30 AM »

Oh, do you agree about Iraq?  I agree with you to an extent about Afghanistan regardless of how I disagree with how it was carried out.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 11:43:29 AM »

One interesting forgotten item.  Anybody google today?  On halloween they always spell google with goblins and witches.  On the first day of spring they spell google with flowers and plants.  Even on the birthdays of relatively obscure scientists or on the anniversary of relatively obscure events they spell google with little flags or balls or DNA molecules, as appropriate, and if you click on the Google tag it sends you to links describing the anniversary or event.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I can see them not wanting to spell google with flames atop a buning Koran.  Google probably doesn't want to go there--YouTube, for better or worse, has even decided to censor any movies of burning Korans--but you might think that Tower Number 1 makes for a nice L and the jets of approaching planes make two o letters nicely.  Not to mention the fact that the letter g looks strikingly like twisted metal.  I guess I was struck by no attempt at memorial, given all the hype on most other media outlets and Google's usual propensity for displaying anniversaries in on the header of their search engine.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 11:43:48 AM »

You might be, but the irrelevant war in Iraq was framed as part of the US response to al-Qaeda, the War on Terror, etc.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 11:49:33 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2010, 11:51:42 AM by Snowguy716 »

One interesting forgotten item.  Anybody google today?  On halloween they always spell google with goblins and witches.  On the first day of spring they spell google with flowers and plants.  Even on the birthdays of relatively obscure scientists or on the anniversary of relatively obscure events they spell google with little flags or balls or DNA molecules, as appropriate, and if you click on the Google tag it sends you to links describing the anniversary or event.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I can see them not wanting to spell google with flames atop a buning Koran.  Google probably doesn't want to go there--YouTube, for better or worse, has even decided to censor any movies of burning Korans--but you might think that Tower Number 1 makes for a nice L and the jets of approaching planes make two o letters nicely.  Not to mention the fact that the letter g looks strikingly like twisted metal.  I guess I was struck by no attempt at memorial, given all the hype on most other media outlets and Google's usual propensity for displaying anniversaries in on the header of their search engine.
Wow.  How fitting.  Instead, though, they went with a brazen and uncaring American flag bow thingy further down the page.  Shame.  They could've been roasting marshmallows over a cozy Koran bonfire.

Edit:  Sometimes not wearing patriotism on your sleeve is best.  The conservatives tearing at our civil liberties all while wrapped in the flag should learn from this.  (and no, it doesn't mean every conservative.)
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 11:57:16 AM »

On September 11, 1980 President George Bush gave a memorable speech to congress outlining the US position on Kuwait and the first steps toward the First Gulf War.

I think you're off by about a decade.

Give or take.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 11:58:10 AM »

America = More significant on the global scale.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »

Instead, though, they went with a brazen and uncaring American flag bow thingy further down the page.  

Ah, so there it is.  Now I see it.  And I guess my secret's out.  Yes, I do control+ a few times these days.  It's embarassing.  My wife says I should see an optometrist.  Easy for her to say.  She has had to wear glasses since she was, like, three years old, and is blind as a bat without them.  I, on the other hand, am accustomed to being able to read roadsigns a mile away, and spotting snakes in the grass through my window on the seat of commercial jet airplanes.  Okay, that's an exaggeration, but I've always had perfect eyesight.  For the last couple of years I'm having to hold books about two feet away from my head to read anything, and to resize web pages to read.  I guess I should just accept my own mortality, bite the bullet, get my eyes checked, get the glasses, and just let everyone make fun of my four eyes.  Get over my vanity or risk having an accident.  That sort of thing.  Anyway, okay, I see the little ribbon now.

Edit:  Sometimes not wearing patriotism on your sleeve is best. 

agreed.  In fact, I find most of the little marginals and memorials that Google does a bit creepy.  And in fact I have emailed them in the past to say that I don't like it.  I know it's halloween and don't really need a little witch and tombstone and cowboy to remind me it's halloween.  I was just noting the absence of those creepy things on this particular day.  That is, if you're going to remind me it's Halloween, or Martin Luther King day, or the anniversary of the day that Thomas Edison discovered his first pubic hair, then why not also remind me that it's September 11.  (But as you point out, it isn't absent, just positioned so that if you have grossly enlarged the font it wouldn't show up without a downscroll.)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 01:34:32 PM »

We kind of are, in a sense. Most kids I know have forgotten who Bin Laden really is, and often confuse him with Saddam Hussein. I hear the statement "Saddam Hussein's followers attacked the Twin Towers" quite often. In ten years, I doubt it will be as big a deal.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies