Criteria for Endorsing Candidates Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:12:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Criteria for Endorsing Candidates Poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What criteria do you use to pick candidates to support?
Ideology

Competence

Represents their state

Sanity

Combination of the above

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Criteria for Endorsing Candidates Poll  (Read 1628 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:38:22 PM »

I have been thinking about this. I have noticed that ideology has led moderates to ignore other problems with a candidate and support someone just because they are moderate (ie Murkowski) and Conservatives do the same with some of their people (ie Angle, Vitter, and O'Donnell)? What do you consider when picking a candidate?

Is focusing only on ideology bad long term for the country?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 09:53:38 PM »

Focusing only on ideology can be bad, in that it may lead one to support trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, or nominating a tea-partier in Delaware. On the other hand, there is a case to be made that it would be good for Republicans to not gain either house of Congress this year, so they can continue attacking Obama's agenda & the Democratic Congress enabling it, as he tries & fails miserably to implement it.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 09:57:26 PM »

Ideology.  I factor electability in when the ideological differences are small enough so that it still makes sense for me to favor the more electable candidate.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 10:01:39 PM »

Combination of the above. Sanity is obviously to be prized. I put their political views and competence tied for second after that.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 10:03:13 PM »

Who bases their decision on just one criterion?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 10:26:47 PM »

Focusing only on ideology can be bad, in that it may lead one to support trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, or nominating a tea-partier in Delaware. On the other hand, there is a case to be made that it would be good for Republicans to not gain either house of Congress this year, so they can continue attacking Obama's agenda & the Democratic Congress enabling it, as he tries & fails miserably to implement it.

A very interesting Strategy, one which I support. But that doesn't mean we should give them any favors. Especially one as big as throwing Delware away entirely.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 10:59:18 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2010, 11:01:12 PM by Darth PiT, Imperial Speaker »

A very interesting Strategy, one which I support. But that doesn't mean we should give them any favors. Especially one as big as throwing Delware away entirely.

I see what you mean. Mike Castle is probably the only Republican in Delaware right now who could win a Senate seat there, & even if he retires after one term, it would be a boon to the Republicans to hold it over the course of that one term. The situation in 2014 could be very different from the situation now, so you want to pin down the difficult seats when the opportunity to do so presents itself.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 11:10:18 PM »

I see what you mean. Mike Castle is probably the only Republican in Delaware right now who could win a Senate seat there, & even if he retires after one term, it would be a boon to the Republicans to hold it over the course of that one term. The situation in 2014 could be very different from the situation now, so you want to pin down the difficult seats when the opportunity to do so presents itself.

If we do fall short, and indeed that is the best possible solution. I want it to be by 1 or at most 2 seats. That way, you have the benefit of Dems have the Senate but also the ability to easily sweep into the majority whilst defeating Obama. If we fall short it likely occurs in WA, WI, or CA at the present time and it should be for no lack of trying on our part. We come out with 49 seats and Obama doesn't have a GOP Senate to run against. Losing Delaware means you have less margin of error in those other three and could easily fall down to 46 if say CO falls through, althouhh unlikely, its possible considering the chaos there, and maybe ILL (Dems raise the Dead in Chicago). You don't hand them one of the top four most likely gains back, as a freebie.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 11:35:49 PM »

Well indeed, getting close would be desirable for the GOP. Considering how little Obama managed with 59 Senators, imagine how paralyzed he would be with only 50 or 51 Senators.

But yes, I agree. When you need to make up so many seats, & a good third of the ones to put you at even ground are marginal to begin with, giving up a safe pickup seems more than a bit foolish.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 04:32:10 PM »

All of the above, to varying degrees.  I endorsed Lieberman in '06, and stand by that, so there goes the representing the state criteria to a degree; my undying support for Mark Warner hurts ideology a little bit; electability is a big one for me, which is why I was so strong for Creigh Deeds (along with the ideological agreement); sanity is always important, but I am a Jim Webb backer, so that calls that into question; it's really all of the above, with ideology and electability being the most important, and representing the state being last.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 04:36:06 PM »

Ideology, competence, sanity.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 06:43:37 PM »

Ideology insofar as they agree on a few critical issues. I could care less if they call themselves conservatives, progressives, libertarians, pirates, whatever. As long as they agree on some basic issues like what should be done about the bankers or the troops overseas they're fine by me.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 07:01:16 PM »

It depends.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 07:21:28 PM »

Since all you Democrats value sanity so much, I assume you back Jim DeMint over Alvin "Action Figure" Greene.  You presumably back Hank "Guam Capsizing" Johnson's Republican opponent as well.  You certainly back the opponent of UFO-spotting Dennis Kucinich, and all 30 other Democratic congressmen who voted to block Ohio's 2004 electors.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 07:26:51 PM »

Jim DeMint is Sane?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 07:29:49 PM »

He's typically able to come up with a coherent sentence, and to string several such coherent sentences together.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 07:45:42 PM »

He's typically able to come up with a coherent sentence, and to string several such coherent sentences together.

So can the guys you say are insane.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 09:37:31 PM »

He is not.

Which I'm sure qualifies him to continue being my senator.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 01:25:06 AM »

Relative to Alvin Greene, possibly.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 11:30:37 AM »

you forgot 'character' and 'experience'
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 12:01:25 PM »

Pretty much just competence.  On the off chance that there's more than one competent candidate, I'd then look at their ability to represent their state.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies