Fix Our Roads! Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:16:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Fix Our Roads! Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Fix Our Roads! Act (Law'd)  (Read 3625 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 11:03:14 PM »

Abstain for now
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 12:57:39 AM »

AYE.
Hans-im-Glück
Franken
Junior Chimp
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 08:52:25 AM »

AYE
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 03:04:46 PM »

aye.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 03:26:46 PM »

Nay.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 03:51:09 PM »

Aye
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 05:26:46 PM »

Ah, the Senate's hard at work redistributing wealth on behalf of auto companies and the wealthy.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »

This bill has enough votes to pass, Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.

I change mine to Nay.

Ah, the Senate's hard at work redistributing wealth on behalf of auto companies and the wealthy.

You are lucky that the Atlasian gov't doesn't own the Auto companies!

"Thanks Franzl and Yankee"

Oh you are so welcome Libertas.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 08:14:19 PM »

Oh come on, Senator. Road and bridge construction & upkeep has been a major government function since the Revolutionary era you types idealize so well. And since Roman times before that.

The "auto companies" subsidy allegation is enough of a stretch (people by more cars when there're fewer potholes?), but "the wealthy"? Come on.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2010, 09:01:03 PM »

Oh come on, Senator. Road and bridge construction & upkeep has been a major government function since the Revolutionary era you types idealize so well. And since Roman times before that.

The "auto companies" subsidy allegation is enough of a stretch (people by more cars when there're fewer potholes?), but "the wealthy"? Come on.

It's not at all of a 'stretch'. It's a fact.

There are plenty of people who do not own cars, many inner-city poor who cannot afford them, as well as the environmentally-conscious. They are being forced to pay for something that they will not use.

In fact they cannot use them, unless they fork over thousands of dollars more to a private automotive corporation to buy their product.

This amounts to a subsidy to the automobile over other forms of transportation. Why does the federal government invest in the infrastructure necessary for automakers to sell cars rather than in mass-transit which all Atlasians can use?

As a fellow member of the Green Lobby, I am sure you are also well aware of the environmental ramifications of the government's persistent investment in subsidizing not-so-green methods of transportation via road construction.

I am not against roads, but let them be paid for by those who will use them. Stop giving an unfair advantage to automakers, the wealthy, and the automobile as a form of transportation in general. There are better ways to invest in infrastructure for the benefit of all Atlasians.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 12:43:32 PM »

It's not at all of a 'stretch'. It's a fact.

There are plenty of people who do not own cars, many inner-city poor who cannot afford them, as well as the environmentally-conscious. They are being forced to pay for something that they will not use.

In fact they cannot use them, unless they fork over thousands of dollars more to a private automotive corporation to buy their product.

This amounts to a subsidy to the automobile over other forms of transportation. Why does the federal government invest in the infrastructure necessary for automakers to sell cars rather than in mass-transit which all Atlasians can use?

As a fellow member of the Green Lobby, I am sure you are also well aware of the environmental ramifications of the government's persistent investment in subsidizing not-so-green methods of transportation via road construction.

I am not against roads, but let them be paid for by those who will use them. Stop giving an unfair advantage to automakers, the wealthy, and the automobile as a form of transportation in general. There are better ways to invest in infrastructure for the benefit of all Atlasians.

You make some valid points here, and I agree with you wholeheartedly on the need for expanded mass transit. Though buses and the like still need a good road and bridge system to be useful, don't they? Wink

IMHO, the strong expansion and upkeep of a good road and bridge network is among the most basic important roles of the state, and its effect of fostering increased commerce, trade and mobility so broadly impacts all society I just can't consider doing so to be merely a mere subsidy to the auto industry. Such expansion of road networks were a fundamental aspect of colonial, medieval, and Roman governments well before there were cars (though I'm sure then the lobbying efforts of the Wagon and Ox Cart guilds were also fierce). Tongue

Honestly, old chap, while most conservatives seem to want to bring back the 1920's, sometimes you appear determined to revive the 1320's. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2010, 08:51:06 PM »

This bill has passed 7-3

Ayes (7): AHDuke99, AndrewCT, Bacon King, Badger, bgwah, Franzl, Hans-im-Gluck
Nays (3): Dallasfan65, Libertas, NC Yankee

This bill has been passed and is presented to the President.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 05:17:58 AM »

This is ridiculous, not to mention selfish. I can't help but wonder if this is just forced nonsense logic to try and be deliberately outrageous or you actually believe it. The state of our roads undeniably affects the entire economic infrastructure of the country and beyond. Just because someone doesn't drive on a regular basis doesn't mean their lives are not profoundly impacted by the state of our highways.

We trade. Businesses buy and transport goods. Family members travel. Hell, an efficient highway system even allows a more easily mobilized defense should we ever be invaded.

This is the modern era, you know, Senator Dark Ages. Driving and the necessity to sometimes travel long distances is a reality in our world, and whether I like it or not, sometimes people do have to pay for these services. (Also, people do not have to get cars to travel on a road, we've had this new commodity available lately known as "public transportation." More commonly known as a damn bus.) We can't run a country on horse-drawn carriage and dirt roads.

Is this the kind of discussion people like PiT think we've been lacking lately? We're arguing over whether or not people should be paying for goddamn roads. Lord have mercy.
wazeezy1
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2010, 01:33:23 PM »

SOIA:

Can I take a moment to remind Senators that £30bn for road repair is a fairly modest sum. The Federal Highway Administration estimated in 2005 that it needed $375 billion to fund repair and improvement projects. Research conducted in 2007 estimated that 33% of the nation's major roads are in “poor or mediocre condition.” 36% of major urban highways are congested and 26% percent of bridges are “structurally deficient or functionally obsolete.”

I am not, by pointing this out suggesting that we 'up' the figure suggested by the Senator to match this 5yr old assessment. However if funds are to be provided it is vital that they are targeted to where they can be best spent. We cannot afford a major road expansion programme and for environmental reasons I would stand against it. However road repair is vital for the economy and can provide much needed employment.

(N.B: Figures are taken from US sources)

Jeez, and I thought our roads (uk) were in need of reapir and expensive Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies