Fix Our Roads! Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:40:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Fix Our Roads! Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fix Our Roads! Act (Law'd)  (Read 3661 times)
wazeezy1
« on: October 14, 2010, 01:33:23 PM »

SOIA:

Can I take a moment to remind Senators that £30bn for road repair is a fairly modest sum. The Federal Highway Administration estimated in 2005 that it needed $375 billion to fund repair and improvement projects. Research conducted in 2007 estimated that 33% of the nation's major roads are in “poor or mediocre condition.” 36% of major urban highways are congested and 26% percent of bridges are “structurally deficient or functionally obsolete.”

I am not, by pointing this out suggesting that we 'up' the figure suggested by the Senator to match this 5yr old assessment. However if funds are to be provided it is vital that they are targeted to where they can be best spent. We cannot afford a major road expansion programme and for environmental reasons I would stand against it. However road repair is vital for the economy and can provide much needed employment.

(N.B: Figures are taken from US sources)

Jeez, and I thought our roads (uk) were in need of reapir and expensive Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies