What will be November's results in Delaware?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:09:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What will be November's results in Delaware?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: What will be November's results in Delaware?
Coons with over 60%

Coons with over 55%

Coons with between 50-55%

O'Donnell with over 60%

O'Donnell with over 55%

O'Donnell with 50-55%

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: What will be November's results in Delaware?  (Read 8475 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2010, 04:54:56 PM »

Close, closer than 45%.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2010, 04:58:42 PM »

Coons 56%
O'Donnell 43%
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2010, 04:59:22 PM »

but that has nothing to do with the issues she will face in the Senate.

It questions her sanity, and her competence.  Also, it is not a politically appealing position in a sane state like Delaware.

actually, according to Gallup, only 39% of Americans believe in evolution.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/114544/darwin-birthday-believe-evolution.aspx

so, the majority of Americans don't believe that scientists understand things in the past they werent' there to witness.  So, you might want to start talking about a liberal belief that might resonate with the majority of the public, because trying to distract voters from focusing on Dem policy failures by mocking Christians isn't going to work, especially when Dems are standing up for the right of Muslims to build a mosque in the shadows of ground zero.  
I'm pretty sure that the numbers in Delaware for that question would be quite different than nationally. The South is weighing us down in a huge way on the whole "believing in evolution" thing.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2010, 04:59:37 PM »

It questions her sanity, and her competence.  Also, it is not a politically appealing position in a sane state like Delaware.

so, the majority of Americans don't believe that scientists understand things in the past they werent' there to witness.  

and a presumably large portion of that 39% believe something on the basis of one author's description from the bible... which they also weren't there to witness.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2010, 05:01:03 PM »

so, the majority of Americans don't believe that scientists understand things in the past they werent' there to witness.  So, you might want to start talking about a liberal belief that might resonate with the majority of the public, because trying to distract voters from focusing on Dem policy failures by mocking Christians isn't going to work, especially when Dems are standing up for the right of Muslims to build a mosque in the shadows of ground zero.  

Only 25% of the people polled there can be assumed to be creationists of some sort. The other 36% just didn't give a sh**t one way or the other.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2010, 05:02:58 PM »

so, the majority of Americans don't believe that scientists understand things in the past they werent' there to witness.  

and a presumably large portion of that 39% believe something on the basis of one author's description from the bible... which they also weren't there to witness.

but God was
I strongly doubt that. Tongue
ej2mm15
electoraljew2
United States

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2010, 05:27:05 PM »

You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2010, 06:42:53 PM »

but God was

How do you know that?
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2010, 08:08:42 PM »

Coons: 58%

O'Donnell:  40%

Others: 2%

Or something like that.
Zot
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 4.87

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2010, 08:21:58 PM »

Evolution is not going to be an issue in this election.  The issue will be government spending.  I guess she wins by 4.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2010, 08:23:44 PM »

Obsess about these issues?  She was working for a think-tank that was RESPONSIBLE for thinking about "these issues".

I'm sure any rational parent of a college-aged daughter shared O'Donnell's organization's concerns - at the time she made those statements and even today.

Including telling other people's kids not to masturbate? Is that what people want from a U.S. Senator? Really?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »

actually, most parents share the same concerns when their kids go off to college.  so I live this piece as a positive, even in DE.

They may share their concerns, but they also think that grownups who obsess about these issues and related ones (as Christine does) can be creepy and perhaps not who they're looking for in office. Her terminology here is definitely closer to "creepy" than "concerned parent," to boot.

with her looks, she aint creepy when talking about sex

You're missing the point.

as I already stated - her views on sex aren't creepy to parents

Note what I wrote--I didn't say they were.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2010, 08:27:15 PM »

Evolution is not going to be an issue in this election.  The issue will be government spending.  I guess she wins by 4.

Are you going to back this up somehow?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2010, 08:31:40 PM »

Ned Lamont also won a Senate primary on this basis, too. It didn't lead to a liberal takeover of Congress.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2010, 08:40:29 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2010, 08:43:44 PM by Skill and Chance »

Ned Lamont also won a Senate primary on this basis, too. It didn't lead to a liberal takeover of Congress.

Um, actually it did, if you assume Dem=Liberal at the national, congressional level.  Granted, if the GOP repeated the Dems 2006 performance, they would fall short of a majority in both houses.

Anyhow,  my prediction for Delaware Senate:

Coons by 57/43
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »

Um, actually it did, if you assume Dem=Liberal at the national, congressional level.  Granted, if the GOP repeated the Dems 2006 performance, they would fall short of a majority in both houses.

Jim Webb, Bob Casey, and Jon Tester are the antithesis of liberal purists. There's a reason they're senators today and Ned Lamont isn't. Pretty much the only liberal you could say ran that way and won that year was Sherrod Brown, but he had the advantage of very long service in government. Ned Lamont is really the only person who fits the Tea Party profile--dilettante, ideologically pure, running against a compromiser and dealbreaker, drawing support from true believers. 
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2010, 11:44:02 PM »

Obsess about these issues?  She was working for a think-tank that was RESPONSIBLE for thinking about "these issues".

I'm sure any rational parent of a college-aged daughter shared O'Donnell's organization's concerns - at the time she made those statements and even today.

Including telling other people's kids not to masturbate? Is that what people want from a U.S. Senator? Really?

The issue in question was stopping universities from having co-ed dorm rooms, not masturbation. 

You do realize that O'Donnell's decades-old position on masturbation is completely in line with the teachings of many conservative Protestant congregations, the Catholic church and some Orthodox and Conservative Jewish congregations as well, correct?  You also realize that she said nothing about the state imposing bans on masturbation, right?

And if you think anyone has scratched the surface on the "bearded marxist" Coons' decades-old out-of-the-mainstream positions and writings, I have a bridge to sell you.  Harry Reid did him no favor today, either, by calling Coons his "pet".
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2010, 12:03:13 AM »

One has to admit that social issues really have fallen down the ladder this year. That became apparent last fall when the publicization of McDonnell's sexist thesis failed to make the impact that it ordinarily would have made in an area like northern Virginia.

Of course, in O'Donnell's case, her issues are more document and serious than McDonnell's, or Nikki Haley's for that matter, but the best approach for Coons might be to tie them with public policy issues- i.e., if she's irresponsible with her own money, can she really be trusted with the voters' money? If she's lied in court, can she really be trusted not to lie in a campaign? Contrast that with Coons' responsible management of the New Castle county budget, which most Delaware voters should be familiar with. Faced with a massive post recession shortfall, the county is now in excellent fiscal condition and is running a small surplus. It has an AAA rating from Fitch, higher than either of Delaware's other two counties, which praised New Castle for its "responsible debt management."
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2010, 06:22:07 AM »

The issue in question was stopping universities from having co-ed dorm rooms, not masturbation. 

And I'm talking about all the issues she's chosen for her dossier over the years. You don't get the luxury of excluding some from consideration and discussion. What's more, as I said above, opposition to co-ed dorm rooms is not creepy. The way she talked about it--"menage a trois rooms, orgy rooms"--is creepy. Combined with her past obsession about masturbation.

Politics being what it is, no one gets to cherry pick one thing the candidate said out of context and imagine a scenario where it's not a problem for her when, in context, it adds up to a creepy and weird persona.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, and I'm sure that if a politician raved about birth control being dangerous and a sin, she'd be unelectable in a northeastern state, precisely because the majority of Catholics and evangelicals (if applicable) don't take that ban seriously and don't identify with people who crusade against it. I'm sure she'll clean up on the orthodox Catholic vote among women over 70 who go to mass daily and agree with her. She needs more than that to win. In the meantime, she loses everyone who's ever watched an episode of Sex and the City or South Park, even if they're Catholic.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

We'll see, I guess. Good luck making the race about Coons being weird. I saw him on Chris Matthews, he's perfectly anodyne.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2010, 07:16:20 AM »

Do we seriously think Coons is going to make a play on O'Donnell's position on masturbation and sex? I mean, seriously guys. When she loses, it will be because she was whole scale abandoned by the DE GOP organization, not because she thinks college kids screw around too much.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2010, 07:20:57 AM »

as I already stated - her views on sex aren't creepy to parents

Do you direct your offspring not to masturbate themselves? 
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2010, 07:33:38 AM »

Coons shouldn't bother attacking O'Donnell, he should focus on being positive. Her favorables are already in the tank, he doesn't have to drag himself down by attacking her.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2010, 08:39:07 AM »

Do we seriously think Coons is going to make a play on O'Donnell's position on masturbation and sex?

No, the candidate himself does not have to bring it up.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2010, 08:41:11 AM »

Option 3, but we were wrong before....
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2010, 09:10:24 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2010, 09:31:15 AM by If my rhyme was a drug I'd sell it by the gram »

Do we seriously think Coons is going to make a play on O'Donnell's position on masturbation and sex? I mean, seriously guys. When she loses, it will be because she was whole scale abandoned by the DE GOP organization, not because she thinks college kids screw around too much.

Coons won't, but it will happen. The Delaware GOP went against her for it. Hell see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzHcqcXo_NA

Johnny is right about Coons of course, but he doesn't need to do this stuff directly. BTW her stance against masturbation is the main reason this race is being discussed on several non-political forums.

The sex attacks on her have gone viral, Coons doesn't need to say a thing. It's much like how McCain never accused Obama of being a Muslim or born outside the US yet plenty of dumbs still believe that. Except this stuff has actual backing in reality unlike that crap.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies