Thank you REpubulicans for completely screwing our chances in 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:43:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Thank you REpubulicans for completely screwing our chances in 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Thank you REpubulicans for completely screwing our chances in 2010  (Read 6180 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 10:28:36 AM »

Shouldn't this read, "Thank you CONSERVATIVES for completely screwing our chances in 2010?"

Putting up conservative challenges to Murkowski and Ayotte were fair game moves. O'Donnell was just mental retardation in electoral form.

I blame Republicans as a whole.  Moderates didn't turn out, and more conservatives/Republicans in general need to realize that you can't ALWAYS vote on principle.  Sometimes you need to vote on winability.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 10:29:46 AM »

Majority of Delaware voters believe O'Donnell is unqualified, no, according to the PPP stuff that came out today?  I believe it's almost a majority, like 48% of GOP voters believe O'Donnell is qualified too, keeping in mind that we're talking about GE voters, not the primary voters from last night
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 10:31:43 AM »

Only 31% said that they believe she is qualified. Actually the phrase used wasn't "qualified" but "fit for public office" which actually I'd say makes a low number much worse.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 10:32:39 AM »

riiiiiight, "fit for public obvious" hahaha, I knew it was something better than that.  Sweet.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 10:33:35 AM »

Conservatives don't want to have the majority. I've decided this to be true.

Well, let's face it - we weren't going to win the Senate anyway.  Now we'll just have a smaller minority.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 10:35:01 AM »

I've been asking this for several weeks now:

IN WHICH WAY IS MIKE CASTLE A CONSERVATIVE?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 10:35:25 AM »

His lockstep opposition to Obama's agenda like the stimulus and health care reform.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 10:47:30 AM »

His lockstep opposition to Obama's agenda like the stimulus and health care reform.
Does that mean all the 200+ congressmen that voted nay are conservative?
I won't say he's a flaming liberal like others have, but he is certainly no conservative either, he is centrist.

http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Michael_Castle.htm

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 10:50:25 AM »

Castle is basically right wing on everything except abortion and stupid Republican bills that are only designed for wedge issues and throwing red meat to the religious right instead of actually passing and accomplishing anything like amending the Constitution to ban gay marriage.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 10:52:42 AM »

Shouldn't this read, "Thank you CONSERVATIVES for completely screwing our chances in 2010?"

Putting up conservative challenges to Murkowski and Ayotte were fair game moves. O'Donnell was just mental retardation in electoral form.

You're assuming that "extreme right wing conservatives" and "Republican Party" are still indistinguishable.

You guys are now the tea party's party now. Get used to it.

"And so as ye sow....."
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 10:54:09 AM »

Castle is basically right wing on everything except abortion and stupid Republican bills that are only designed for wedge issues and throwing red meat to the religious right instead of actually passing and accomplishing anything like amending the Constitution to ban gay marriage.

In 2010, this makes him a liberal (or "establishment politician") to most Republicans.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 11:05:23 AM »

I was just checking out stuff on Intrade.  People who bought Delaware shares are either really happy today or really pissed off.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 11:23:56 AM »

Also, the Iowa Electronic Markets have the possibility of the Republicans taking the Senate taking a huge hit:

CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 11:33:50 AM »

If the moderates wanted Castle then they should have showed up to vote, they did'nt so this is entirely on them. The GOP losing Delaware will be the fault of moderate Republicans not showing up to vote for Castle, then being dore losers about it in the general election.

What are the chances alot of the higher than expected turnout were dems switching over to vote O'Donnel?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2010, 11:34:54 AM »

I was just checking out stuff on Intrade.  People who bought Delaware shares are either really happy today or really pissed off.

You have to admit that this is amusing:

Well, unless you're a Republican.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2010, 11:40:39 AM »

If the moderates wanted Castle then they should have showed up to vote, they did'nt so this is entirely on them. The GOP losing Delaware will be the fault of moderate Republicans not showing up to vote for Castle, then being dore losers about it in the general election.

What are the chances alot of the higher than expected turnout were dems switching over to vote O'Donnel?

The only "fault" of "GOP moderates" is they're being driven to extinction.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2010, 11:42:01 AM »

Nil. The deadline for switching was ages ago.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2010, 01:10:54 PM »

Incidentally, O'Donnell has responded to Karl Rove's blistering attacks, calling them "unfactual", and argued that she's simply trying to "defend the homeland of our security".
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 02:06:28 PM »

If the Democrats hold the Senate because of this - which is really quite likely, now - the infighting within the GOP is going to get hilariously ugly.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 10:06:46 PM »

"True Conservative"
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7140347/

(from http://reason.com/blog/2010/09/14/delawares-odonnell-disaster)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2010, 10:41:52 PM »

If the Democrats hold the Senate because of this - which is really quite likely, now - the infighting within the GOP is going to get hilariously ugly.

There's no way the GOP was going to take back the Senate even with Delaware.  My prediction was Republicans gain 8 seats (49 seats).  9 would've been possible but unlikely.  Even then, the Democrats still would control the Senate.  We would've had to have won 10 seats, and that just wasn't going to happen.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2010, 11:15:56 PM »

I blame Republicans as a whole.  Moderates didn't turn out, and more conservatives/Republicans in general need to realize that you can't ALWAYS vote on principle.  Sometimes you need to vote on winability.

Actually if you are voting on principle and want to do whats best to advance your principles then the best candidate for a conservative voter would have been Mike Castle.

The reason O'Donnell won is because voters aren't politcally smart. They don't check the polls of the generall election or the partisanship of the state. Had they seen how unpopular O'Donnell is and how crazy she is, Castle would have won.

Any conservative who makes the arguement that a liberal Democrat is better then a Liberal Republican in blue state needs to explain to me how, beyond delusions about the general election results, voting for the most conservative and unelectable candidate, advances your principles? A vote for O'Donnell is simply a vote for Chris Coons. By choosing Chris Coons you have done a disservice to the men of principle who you have seen to victory in Alaska, Utah, and Kentucky. They will get to DC and be one of 45 or 48 Republicans. Harry Reid or Chucky Schumer will control the adjenda, the debate, and the direction of the Senate. Those people, Miller, Paul etc are reduced in capability and effectiveness. Choosing a liberal Republican over a Conservative Republican based on electability in a 25% Obama state, is not a surrender of your values. Choosing a guarrenteed loser and essentially voting for the liberal Democrat in doing so, surrenders your principles.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2010, 03:42:20 AM »

to the contrary, the amount of anti-establishment anger shown tonight probably means the GOP is underpoling by 5-10 percent in CA/WA/WI/NV.

So we've entered the "just make things up" part of the thread?

when only 30 thousand voters were expected, and 60 thousand show up, it's a sign the electorate is being seriously underestimated.

The polls were basiucally correct, though.  They predicted O'Donnell was ahead and she was gaining support.  They pegged the outcome pretty spot on.  So the fact that turnout was high says nothing about the accuracy of the polls and certainly doesn't support the claim that the polls of off by 10%.  They weren't off by 10% in the Massachusetts Senate race, the NY-23 Special, the HI-1 Special, or the Governor's races in New Jersey and Virginia.  The good polls were accurate and the badd polls were not, just like every other election since I've been alive.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies