US House Redistricting: Ohio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:28:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Ohio
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 37
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Ohio  (Read 136141 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2011, 11:30:56 AM »

Krazen are your population numbers reflective of the population collapse. This isn't the final census data is it?  In any event, I wonder if it is feasible to dump much of the pink area into the Toledo CD.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »

Krazen are your population numbers reflective of the population collapse. This isn't the final census data is it?  In any event, I wonder if it is feasible to dump much of the pink area into the Toledo CD.

No, the population numbers aren't. The voting results, however, are, and I think the population numbers are pretty close. The final census results showed that the old CD-11 was 180k under, and on the app, it was 160k under, so I would estimate a 20k error in any direction.

Rocky River, for instance, is a ~45% McCain area. Westlake if I recall was something similar. The purple territory as a whole averages about 48% McCain and is safe for Republicans.

The problem with dumping them in the Toledo CD is that you have to cut through Avon Lake and Bay Village, and those are both >50% McCain areas. Keep in mind that the Toledo CD does not currently have Lorain and Elyria City in it (both heavily Dem areas), so I don't think it will have room for excess population.

The bottom line is that any Republican plan condensing the Democrats down to 3 districts up north has to do something with the ~200k voters in the pink areas.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2011, 12:11:22 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2011, 12:14:38 PM by Torie »

Did anyone see how much Toledo could be shaved down, picking off the somewhat marginal precincts and putting them into the adjacent Pubbie CD, so that the Toledo snake can push farther east? As to going through the McCain areas, if you just include the precincts appending the lake, I doubt it will suck it much population. In fact, isn't the CD to the south so GOP, that it could even take some pretty Dem precincts, and still be reasonably safe Pubbie? If you are going to cut the Dems down to 3 CD's, each and every one of them needs to be very carefully packed, precinct by precinct, the way I did with the 3 Dem CD's in the Philly area, and even after doing that, it was a pretty close call. I just barely got across the finish line, i.e., to the point where I thought the Philly area Pubbie CD's, PA 06, 07 and 08, could be characterized as it least solidly leaning GOP.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2011, 01:30:08 PM »

Did anyone see how much Toledo could be shaved down, picking off the somewhat marginal precincts and putting them into the adjacent Pubbie CD, so that the Toledo snake can push farther east? As to going through the McCain areas, if you just include the precincts appending the lake, I doubt it will suck it much population. In fact, isn't the CD to the south so GOP, that it could even take some pretty Dem precincts, and still be reasonably safe Pubbie? If you are going to cut the Dems down to 3 CD's, each and every one of them needs to be very carefully packed, precinct by precinct, the way I did with the 3 Dem CD's in the Philly area, and even after doing that, it was a pretty close call. I just barely got across the finish line, i.e., to the point where I thought the Philly area Pubbie CD's, PA 06, 07 and 08, could be characterized as it least solidly leaning GOP.

Everything west of I-495, basically. Cuts out ~80k people from the Toledo district.

I thought a lake sneaking chain would be a bridge too far, so I didn't do it. Knock yourself out, though.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2011, 11:56:31 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2011, 01:08:08 PM by Torie »

Here is my attempted "knockout." About 82,000 folks (per the updated but not final population estimates) in what appears to be the most Dem part of krazen's pink zone are shoved in OH-09 (but marked in pink here, so one can see the population numbers). Other than my pink salient, I followed Krazen's lines exactly. Whether this will work as part of the larger Pubbie jihad to eviscerate Ohio Dem CD's, is a question the answer to which I don't have a clue! Smiley

If the final census figures show a further population drop for OH-09, then more of the most Dem precincts in Parma can be picked up. I suspect southern and eastern Parma are not that Dem. The precinct stats for Parma are below the maps, with the percentages being the Obama percentage of the two party vote. Unfortunately, the Cuyhoga precinct maps don't match very well the Dave Bradlee ones (they must have changed, both in shape and number), so it is guesswork, which sucks.

An alternative, in lieu of picking up Parma Heights (58.7% Dem), and the most Dem part of Parma, would be to move into Cleveland to the north of Brook Park. There are only about 12 precincts in Cleveland that are below 60% Obama, so that in fact is probably a superior strategy come to think of it.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2011, 12:25:55 PM »

Pretty ugly, Torie, but effective.

If you can shove that much of that area into the Toledo district, the rest can just go into Renacci's, and you probably don't even need to crack the area with Jordan's district at all.

I had the same problem; no idea which precincts within Parma are which. So for all those Cayuhoga towns, I just took the average of the entire town.

That Southern band of Cayuhoga (Strongsville, North Royalton) is pretty solid R territory, so good guess.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2011, 09:03:28 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2011, 11:40:46 PM by Torie »

This appears to be close to the maximally efficient OH-09 prong into Cuyahoga County (depicted in pink). The precinct map labels for the City of Cleveland do match the precinct returns, so I know that the western prong of Cleveland is for Pubbies, what Mordor is for Hobbits. It's Pubbie hell, and needs to be excised to the max extent possible. This is the way to do it. The Lakewood precincts alas do not match, but I did an aerial zoom, and the two precincts that I put into OH-13 look dramatically more prosperous than the balance, so I bit them off.

What remains a problem, is that southern box of the city of Cleveland north of Parma which is drawn into OH-13. Sure it's almost totally white, but as I say, only 12 precincts in Cleveland are under 60% Obama, and I suspect most of them are on the lake on the far east side, where Voinovich lives. We shall see if the population numbers allow for OH-14 to scoop them up, or most of them. If not, probably a bit more of Lakewood needs to be bit off, or the eastern edges of OH-14 further explored, or OH-09 dropping Brooklyn, and/or moving into the southern Cleveland box in lieu thereof. OH-09 is 4,700 over population, but I suspect the final census numbers will get rid of that, and then a bit. OH-11 is over by about 33,000, the way krazen drew the OH-11 map, with my changes on its west side, so the final census numbers will be most interesting.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2011, 09:25:15 PM »

This appears to be close to the maximally efficient OH-09 prong into Cuyahoga County (depicted in pink). The precinct map labels for the City of Cleveland do match the precinct returns, so I know that the western prong of Cleveland is for Pubbies, what Mordor is for Hobbits. It's Pubbie hell, and needs to be excised to the max extent possible. This is the way to do it. The Lakewood precincts alas to do match, but I did an aerial zoom, and the two precincts that I put into OH-13 look dramatically more prosperous than the balance, so I bit them off.

What remains a problem, is that southern box of the city of Cleveland north of Parma which is drawn into OH-13. Sure it's almost totally white, but as I say, only 12 precincts in Cleveland are under 60% Obama, and I suspect most of them are on the lake on the far east side, where Voinovich lives. We shall see if the population numbers allow for OH-14 to scoop them up, or most of them. If not, probably a bit more of Lakewood needs to be bit off, or the eastern edges of OH-14 further explored, or OH-09 dropping Brooklyn, and/or moving into the southern Cleveland box in lieu thereof. OH-09 is 4,000 over population, but I suspect the final census numbers will get rid of that, and then a bit. OH-11 is over by about 33,000, the way krazen drew the OH-11 map, with my changes on the its west side, so the final census numbers will be most interesting.

You could probably re-examine CD-09 over on the Toledo side if you wanted a bigger prong. I left the entire town of Maumee in CD-9; you might be able to chop some population there and in Northwest Toledo to get a bigger prong.

The eastern edge of CD-14 is kind of fixed, though. Pepper Pike is 42% McCain; Lyndhurst is 43% McCain; the rest are <40% areas, and many sub 10%.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2011, 09:34:33 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2011, 11:44:54 PM by Torie »

Yes, indeed, but 42% and 43% McCain, is going to be a lot better than that southern City of Cleveland box north of Parma, or most of it. That box needs to be bounced from OH-13, or most of it.  But we also need to be sure to follow the VRA, and keep OH-11 majority VAP black, if it seems required by the VRA, and it may well be. Isn't this fun?  Tongue

You are absolutely right, to look around Toledo for precincts to pinch. Pinching precincts is job one. I just pinched Indianapolis to death in my Indiana gerry. Smiley I do notice that Berea has about 5 or 6 pinchable precincts, which will be pinched if I can find them.

84   BEREA      5   D   212   314   526   59.70%
83   BEREA      5   C   183   258   441   58.50%
74   BEREA      3   B   215   289   504   57.34%
75   BEREA      3   C   205   265   470   56.38%
68   BEREA      2   A   240   305   545   55.96%
73   BEREA      3   A   255   319   574   55.57%
76   BEREA      3   D   221   255   476   53.57%
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2011, 12:03:59 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2011, 02:11:45 PM by Torie »

Here is what I think is within a percentage point (or close to it), of the max Dem pack for OH-09. The precinct returns map for Cuyahoga County at the bottom should help illustrate the lay of the land. It turns out that all of my surmises were correct! Fancy that. Smiley

One probably could pick up another 50 basis points by shaving the link counties a bit more (I stole four [nine] precincts), but I felt guilty doing it. Lucas County (Toledo) has been picked pretty dry now.

I grabbed 5 precincts in Toledo Ward 22 (that far eastern precinct in the green CD (OH-05), nearest the Michigan border was actually carried by McCain Smiley), and also cut out the 4 precincts in the City of Ottawa, which McCain actually carried (barely). Per Krazen's suggestion, I cut out from OH-09 the City of Maumee in Lucas County. The City of Maumee went about 57% for Obama (now added to OH-05), and has 3 or so 60% plus Obama precincts in it, but the Bradlee census tracts in Maumee don't remotely match the 2008 precincts, so it was not feasible to cull them out, and leave them in OH-09. That aside, the number of 60% plus Obama precincts not gobbled up by OH-09 within this part of the state, is probably down to about 15 or so now. (I do notice however from the Cuyahoga County returns map that there are three 60% plus Obama precincts in the northwest corner of Parma Heights that need to be added to OH-09, so that adjustment should be made, and now has been (I had to cut out five more link county precincts to do that, but that cut actually makes the map a bit prettier this time).)

The final census numbers probably will allow picking up another few 55%-60% Obama precincts in Cuyahoga County, in that zone north of Parma in Cleveland. But I think I cut out of OH-13 almost all of the plus 60% Obama precincts now in that area. I also pinched three or four precincts from OH-09 in Berea (those census tracts don't match the real precincts either, but they are close enough for government work).

I think this Dem pack of OH-09 is now sufficient, to probably make the  twin termination of Sutton and Dennis the Menace reasonably  feasible for the Pubbies, if the Pubbies are willing to draw this OH-09 monstrosity. Do they have the balls to do it? Time will tell.

Perhaps someone might wish to use my version of OH-09, and with it, see how the complete Ohio map plays out. We could make this a team effort. Smiley I would be happy to email my data file for Ohio to whomever wants it. Cheers.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2011, 04:03:28 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2011, 04:21:37 PM by krazen1211 »

Your next challenge Torie: Drawn the Akron/Youngstown/Warren district.

Good news though. The actual census value for Cleveland's population is 397,000. The app is drawing it at 438,000 based on the estimates that apply to counties as a whole, so the Fudge district actually has some room to grow.

My 33k over district might not actually be big enough Smiley.

Here's the data if you really want to crunch those municipalities. The app seems to be overstimating the populations of Lorain and Elyria City as well by 12k combined. Euclid and Lakewood seem very close to accurate, and Parma is estimated under.

The Akron precincts in the app total 220k, compared to 200k in the census, but those precincts don't perfectly line up with the city borders.

Ohio cities as a whole completely got destroyed.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/census/profile/oh
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2011, 04:21:41 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2011, 04:53:44 PM by Torie »

It is a really wonderful thing that OH-11 needs further growth Why beyond the obvious? Because my OH-11 below, while already beautiful, will just get more so. Why?  Because it now both 1) maximizes the Dem pack, and 2) hits 50% black VAP (the latter by the skin of its teeth). Further growth will be to of course pick up more black Akron precincts, pushing its black VAP up to close to 52%, or even hitting it perhaps. Or, as more almost totally black precincts in Akron are picked up, in tandem some Dem precincts at OH-11's eastern edges in Cuyahoga County can be picked up, keeping its black VAP close to the 50% mark - yes over - but not by much. It depends in part I guess on what the partisan numbers for the LaTourette CD look like. It may need some more help.

The balance of NE Ohio should now draw itself. Well, not really, actually. The NE corner CD, LaTourette's (labeled OH-13 on my map), will need to snake around the southern end of the black OH-11 wall, before turning back north all the way to Lake Erie again (well almost certainly not all of the way, but even part of the way, will not look very aesthetic). It is indeed, one butt ugly CD!  Tongue  Unless of course, by some miracle there are enough folks in the NE corner of Ohio north of Warren, and east of the OH-11 black wall, for it to fit in there. Or maybe with more people, the black wall can be shoved a bit farther west, since it would not need the absolutely most efficient way to get down to black Akron.

The Youngstown CD then takes in whatever remaining precincts there are within reach that are the most Dem.

Make sense?

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2011, 05:02:30 PM »

I really, really hope that they don't end up putting anything in Akron in the Cleveland District. It makes everything so ugly.

The first concept of CD-13: This is drawing at 40k over, but I am confident that the new census results will put this district at population.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2011, 05:17:37 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2011, 05:41:45 PM by Torie »

One other thought occurs to my lawyer mind in pondering all of this, that touches on your point Krazen, and is yet another reason why OH-11 needing 40,000 more people or whatever is probably the best evidence there is yet that God is a Pubbie. Remember that Mordor zone in west Cleveland that I said had to go from a Pubbie CD? That area has a fairly substantial minority of blacks. To the extent OH-11 can hit 50% black VAP by absorbing Mordor, then the VRA is going to require that, and you can see how that would complicate our little scheme here. Suddenly on OH-11's now retreating east side, there is all of this annoying territory some other CD has to pick up. That is not a good thing.

But if OH-11 needs 40,000 more folks, then picking up Mordor is just not going to work. It may not work anyway, but it is very, very close call - too close for comfort. Now it won't be so close, which means that OH-11 has to go down to Akron to be 50% black VAP, and that means that we can keep/restore/achieve more efficaciously partisan order on OH-11's eastern flank. We don't have to worry that a court will cancel the OH-11 trip to Akron, and issue it a ticket to Mordor instead. Putting to bed that worry can only make the Pubbie gerrymandering jihadists smile from ear to ear.

Sure it will be ugly, but then this map will make ugly into an art form, competing with if not surpassing my PA masterpiece. Tongue And the Pubbies are just not going to litigate whether the VRA requires an OH-11 visit to Akron; they will just do it. You can write that down. Pubbies don't like to litigate whether or not they are screwing blacks. They are there to help, not hurt, which it comes to the VRA. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2011, 05:34:30 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2011, 05:38:04 PM by Torie »

It does look Krazen if I follow your map (don't you like to make beautiful colors they way I do? That is half the fun!), that there is room to fit LaTourette into his NE corner without a snake around OH-11's Akron extension doesn't it (with perhaps only minor modifications to my black wall perhaps, or maybe there is something north of Warren that can be picked up)?   If so, I wonder what its partisan numbers are. The CD worries me a bit, which is why I probably will use some of OH-11's population growth, to eat away at some of its Dem precincts on LaTourette's western flank. But then that squeezes him some more, but he may need some more elbow on the other side of the wall to Pubbie him up if his current line with OH-11 does not meet partisan gerrymandering goals, and around and around we go.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2011, 06:05:13 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2011, 06:17:07 PM by krazen1211 »

It does look Krazen if I follow your map (don't you like to make beautiful colors they way I do? That is half the fun!), that there is room to fit LaTourette into his NE corner without a snake around OH-11's Akron extension doesn't it (with perhaps only minor modifications to my black wall perhaps, or maybe there is something north of Warren that can be picked up)?   If so, I wonder what its partisan numbers are. The CD worries me a bit, which is why I probably will use some of OH-11's population growth, to eat away at some of its Dem precincts on LaTourette's western flank. But then that squeezes him some more, but he may need some more elbow on the other side of the wall to Pubbie him up if his current line with OH-11 does not meet partisan gerrymandering goals, and around and around we go.

I guess I'm missing something:

If you do the CD-11 wall, who picks up the rest of Akron? It looks to me like you're wrapping Latuorette around the wall, but that means he's cutting through the nonblack areas of Akron. Based on my map, the wall cuts off 40k population in Richfield, Bath, and Ghent (ie good territory which Larorette wants)

If you're not wrapping Latuorette around the wall, he's going south deep into the Mahoning Valley all the way to Warren itself. That's the main reason I've been hesitant to draw the wall; it seems  to screw CD-14 up.

I thought about what you said; and I just moved the prong.

Pretty clean. Mordor and northern Parma to into the Cleveland district. The light blue toledo district cuts through 40k pubbies in Avon Lake/Bay Village to snag the deep blue Lakewood. If the GOP is willing to drawn some 1 mile thick strip along Avon Lake/Bay Village and not actually take any population, some more of Parma can go into the blue district.

My CD-11 is pretty close to population; on the app its 50k over, which I think will end up totalling to be accurate. Any population picked up in Akron in that CD-11 has to be dropped somewhere, and I don't see anywhere good to drop it. I really don't like the idea of the wall because I don't see it helping.

Zoomed out a bit more, I can't wait to try this on the updated DRA whenever he gets around to doing it.:

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2011, 08:49:01 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2011, 12:08:07 AM by Torie »

Yes, but OH-11 won't be 50% black VAP, and it has to be. The Pubbies would be fools not to. The LaTourette CD just wraps around the southern edges of the OH-11 prong to Akron, and then gets out of the way on the other side. The Youngstown CD will still get its slug of the Akron action.

I didn't think of a CD from the west coming to grab the Pubbie zone in Cuyahoga. But then, I am just not that familiar with the Ohio map in the northwest and Columbus area - yet.

Your OH-09 Dem pack is less efficient. You lost maybe as much as 3 points, certainly two. Those lost points will have to be picked up by a Pubbie CD. That's pretty expansive, when we are already stretching things here.

Regarding the Columbus split (which yes will probably happen even if it may lie on the hog side of pigs get fat, and hogs get slaughtered side of the greed line, because a Pubbie butt is at stake), to minimize the odds that the Columbus Dem demographic bomb goes off, we will need to know what the areas of black, Hispanic and government and educational business expansion will be, and to where the socons, particularly those who know where their next pay check is coming from, and don't have to sweat too much about making ends meet for basic needs, are fleeing to get away from a town they used to like but now it just has too much a libertine socialistic moral relativism about it, along with an "excessive" amount of the spectrum of the rainbow in it. The Dem expansion areas need to be chopped up, as part of the process of chopping up the areas that are currently Dem, and the Pubbie expansion areas used for offset against the Dem expansion areas in the right mix. Absent that, this Columbus split thing is a disaster waiting to happen.

So the trick is to find how the same precincts have trended over the last decade, where the demographic changes have been, and what just what precincts seem ripe within the next decade  to "turn." So we need income data, and both income and demographic change data, from 2000 to now for the Columbus metro region. It would be nice to look at the 2000 and 2010 census data for each neighborhood, to get a sense of where the action is, and where things have been relatively quiet due to some barrier between one neighborhood and another that acts as a dam, be it a river, a municipal boundary, or a substantial change in neighborhood SES, or some ethnic barrier and river (Jewish areas tend to be friendly to the infusion of middle class blacks for example).
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2011, 10:37:56 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2011, 10:46:34 PM by krazen1211 »

Yes, but OH-11 won't be 50% black VAP, and it has to be. The Pubbies would be fools not to. The LaTourette CD just wraps around the southern edges of the OH-11 prong to Akron, and then gets out of the way on the other side. The Youngstown CD will still get its slug of the Akron action.

I didn't think of a CD from the west coming to grab the Pubbie zone in Cuyahoga. But then, I am just not that familiar with the Ohio map in the northwest and Columbus area - yet.

Your OH-09 Dem pack is less efficient. You lost maybe as much as 3 points, certainly two. Those lost points will have to be picked up by a Pubbie CD. That's pretty expansive, when we are already stretching things here.

Regarding the Columbus split (which yes will probably happen even if it may lie on the hog side of pigs get fat, and hogs get slaughtered side of the greed line, because a Pubbie butt is at stake), to minimize the odds that the Columbus Dem demographic bomb goes off, we will need to know what the areas of black, Hispanic and government and educational business expansion will be, and to where the socons, particularly those who know where their next pay check is coming from, and don't have to sweat too much about making ends meet for basic needs, are fleeing to get away from a town they used to like but now it just has too much a libertine socialistic moral relativism about it, along with an "excessive" amount of the spectrum of the rainbow in it. The Dem expansion areas need to be chopped up, as part of the process of chopping up the areas that are currently Dem, and the Pubbie expansion areas used for offset against the Dem expansion areas in the right mix. Absent that, this Columbus split thing is a disaster waiting to happen.

So the trick is to find how the same precincts have trended over the last decade, where the demographic changes have been, and what seems rips to "turn." So we need income data, and both income and demographic change data, from 2000 to now for the Columbus metro region. It would be nice to look at the 2000 and 2010 census data for each neighborhood, to get a sense of where the action is, and where things have been relatively quiet due to some barrier between one neighborhood and another that acts as a dam, be it a river, a municipal boundary, or a substantial change in neighborhood SES, or some ethnic barrier and river (Jewish areas tend to be friendly to the infusion of middle class blacks for example).

Ah. I thought a 3 way split of Akron was a bridge too far. As it stands, the final census stats on that CD-11 (Cuyahoga version) are 43.6% white, 47% black, 5.5% hispanic, and 2.3% asian. You be the judge as to whether that will satisfy the VRA here.

The Columbus district will be tricky. As I said, I theorize that a 70% Obama district can be drawn.

I wonder how the GOP will deal with Stivers.

Dave just updated Ohio's data in the app.

As it stands, that CD-11 I drew in post 115 was close to exact as far as the look of the district is concerned, so I won't repost it. Still, any prong to Akron has to come out of some of the deep blue territory I dumped into that CD-11; I guess you can keep Cleveland split between 2 districts and put some of the Cleveland proper in CD-9.

Keep in mind also that the West side of Cuyahoga isn't exactly West Texas pubbie territory. Those precincts and towns are 50/50 or so. They're ok, but not solid enough to anchor a strong Pubbie district. You probably don't want to keep them all together.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2011, 11:30:32 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2011, 11:39:59 PM by Torie »

This is a first draft of how to deal with NE Ohio. I think it pretty effectively fcks the Dems. If you are going to hold the Dems to 3 CD's, the map must take no prisoners. You just have to use the guillotine. OH-13 is 50.3% black VAP, with 37,000 in "excess" population, pending final census numbers. No doubt, OH-06 (my label for the moment), will need to expand. That will take a bit more work, since what I did was draw based on black percentages, and almost all precincts more than 5% black have been dumped into either OH-11 or OH-06.  It is a useful proxy for partisan behavior, in this part of the world. It just is. OH-13 is 3.9% black by the way. It should be safe.

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2011, 12:00:39 AM »

It's interesting that you guys are able to get the Dems down to 3 districts in the NE. Imho that is even more of a reason to give the Dems a seat in Columbus and make sure you don't lose any central or western Ohio seats even in a bad year. It would really suck for the pubbies if a few districts flipped in the northeast as well as Columbus. And the trend is in the wrong direction in Columbus for the GOP.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2011, 12:09:28 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2011, 12:16:38 AM by Torie »

It's interesting that you guys are able to get the Dems down to 3 districts in the NE. Imho that is even more of a reason to give the Dems a seat in Columbus and make sure you don't lose any central or western Ohio seats even in a bad year. It would really suck for the pubbies if a few districts flipped in the northeast as well as Columbus. And the trend is in the wrong direction in Columbus for the GOP.

Thus my rather extensive post about Columbus. It needs a lot of work to mitigate the damage. Otherwise the map is just an exercise in foolishness, in the longer term.

By the way, it is not just 3 Dem CD's in NE Ohio. It is 3 CD's in the entire state! We have the OH-09 snake with a double prong at the end, like that instrument you use to shove stuff around in your fireplace, and then the black - white liberal pack (OH-11), and the down and out quite white pack, but 20% black as it sucks up Dem precincts (OH-06).  The map is just a monster Gerry. It's just brutal. But we live in brutal partisan times - so the Pubbies might just do it.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2011, 12:21:59 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2011, 12:25:41 AM by krazen1211 »

Ask and ye shall receive. This is drawn with the final numbers, screws Stivers, and gives everyone else 'safe' seats, although I'm not sure about the slate green 6th, and I'm not 100% sure about that 14th.

Between Stark County, Tuscawaras County, and the remainder of the Mahoning Valley outside of Youngstown/Warren, I tried to split it between 3 districts. I am also not sure if the orange district has an incumbent in it; someone might have to move.

Columbus is something I'm just not willing to crack anymore.

Keep in mind that Renacci lives in Medina County. I think you just put him in with Latuorette.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2011, 12:31:01 AM »

Do you know in what town Renacci  lives? I specialize in getting Pubbie incumbents back home. Smiley Yes, I'm a lawyer, and can hunt it down online through a title company (if he owns a home), but if you know, that would save me some time.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2011, 12:33:46 AM »

Do you know in what town Renacci  lives? I specialize in getting Pubbie incumbents back home. Smiley Yes, I'm a lawyer, and can hunt it down online through a title company (if he owns a home), but if you know, that would save me some time.

He was the mayor of Wadsworth. I presume he lives there; its in the southeast corner of Medina County.

He's practically neighbors with Sutton.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2011, 12:38:16 AM »

He was the mayor of Wadsworth. I presume he lives there; its in the southeast corner of Medina County.

He's practically neighbors with Sutton.

Well then it will be a piece of cake to take care of him. Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies