US House Redistricting: Ohio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:48:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  US House Redistricting: Ohio
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Ohio  (Read 135453 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2011, 01:29:31 AM »

It's interesting that you guys are able to get the Dems down to 3 districts in the NE. Imho that is even more of a reason to give the Dems a seat in Columbus and make sure you don't lose any central or western Ohio seats even in a bad year. It would really suck for the pubbies if a few districts flipped in the northeast as well as Columbus. And the trend is in the wrong direction in Columbus for the GOP.

Thus my rather extensive post about Columbus. It needs a lot of work to mitigate the damage. Otherwise the map is just an exercise in foolishness, in the longer term.

By the way, it is not just 3 Dem CD's in NE Ohio. It is 3 CD's in the entire state! We have the OH-09 snake with a double prong at the end, like that instrument you use to shove stuff around in your fireplace, and then the black - white liberal pack (OH-11), and the down and out quite white pack, but 20% black as it sucks up Dem precincts (OH-06).  The map is just a monster Gerry. It's just brutal. But we live in brutal partisan times - so the Pubbies might just do it.

Yeah, I should have said the north has 3 Dem cd's which in effect means the whole state. But really it should be 3 Dem CD's in the north and the Columbus district. Krazen drew a pretty nice map I think. I have a feeling the GOP may go for the 3 Dem map though, but perhaps one of the other districts could be a swing district.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2011, 01:41:38 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2011, 01:43:43 AM by Torie »

It's interesting that you guys are able to get the Dems down to 3 districts in the NE. Imho that is even more of a reason to give the Dems a seat in Columbus and make sure you don't lose any central or western Ohio seats even in a bad year. It would really suck for the pubbies if a few districts flipped in the northeast as well as Columbus. And the trend is in the wrong direction in Columbus for the GOP.

Thus my rather extensive post about Columbus. It needs a lot of work to mitigate the damage. Otherwise the map is just an exercise in foolishness, in the longer term.

By the way, it is not just 3 Dem CD's in NE Ohio. It is 3 CD's in the entire state! We have the OH-09 snake with a double prong at the end, like that instrument you use to shove stuff around in your fireplace, and then the black - white liberal pack (OH-11), and the down and out quite white pack, but 20% black as it sucks up Dem precincts (OH-06).  The map is just a monster Gerry. It's just brutal. But we live in brutal partisan times - so the Pubbies might just do it.

Yeah, I should have said the north has 3 Dem cd's which in effect means the whole state. But really it should be 3 Dem CD's in the north and the Columbus district. Krazen drew a pretty nice map I think. I have a feeling the GOP may go for the 3 Dem map though, but perhaps one of the other districts could be a swing district.

Krazen's map is nice, but OH-11 falling below 50% black VAP is the thing that I think tanks it. Plus it unleashes 2 or 3 Dem points into Pubbie CD's, and that would be just wrong. Smiley
Dgov
United States

« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2011, 03:56:04 AM »

How Necessary is a Columbus-Based Democratic District?  I mean, whats the smallest number of Democrats you would have to take out of the Columbus area in order to make the rest safe GOP?

I'm asking that because you might want to make a district that goes from Columbus to somewhere else in order to relieve some pressure where you would really need it (the area is currently represented entirely by Republicans, so its not like its

Also, has anyone considered just giving up on a Cleveland-based VRA black district and redrawing one in the South stretching from Cincinnati to Columbus?  I think you can get one that's about 55% Black and that takes in enough of the Columbus pop to keep the rest of the area GOP.  Sure it would be ugly, but it basically shuts the Democrats out of the rest of Southern and Central Ohio for at least the next 10 years.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2011, 04:36:54 AM »

By the way, it is not just 3 Dem CD's in NE Ohio. It is 3 CD's in the entire state! We have the OH-09 snake with a double prong at the end, like that instrument you use to shove stuff around in your fireplace, and then the black - white liberal pack (OH-11), and the down and out quite white pack, but 20% black as it sucks up Dem precincts (OH-06).  The map is just a monster Gerry. It's just brutal. But we live in brutal partisan times - so the Pubbies might just do it.

I've had some intel that suggests that something like Torie's plan is exactly what the GOP is looking at. There must be a 50% black-VAP CD, and it will link Cleveland to Akron, since it can't be created in Cuyahoga alone. The map will also have a Toledo to Cleveland CD and one other Dem CD based in Youngstown. Columbus will be split into wedges.

The only major difference is that they probably won't wrap LaTourette's district. They assume that he can handle an R+0 district, and there is more concern to boost Renacci to hold off Sutton.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2011, 07:21:05 AM »

Ask and ye shall receive. This is drawn with the final numbers, screws Stivers, and gives everyone else 'safe' seats, although I'm not sure about the slate green 6th, and I'm not 100% sure about that 14th.

Between Stark County, Tuscawaras County, and the remainder of the Mahoning Valley outside of Youngstown/Warren, I tried to split it between 3 districts. I am also not sure if the orange district has an incumbent in it; someone might have to move.

Columbus is something I'm just not willing to crack anymore.

Keep in mind that Renacci lives in Medina County. I think you just put him in with Latuorette.

Although it would make more sense to just give the Democrats a safe seat in Columbus, I have a very hard time seeing the Ohio Republican party screwing Stivers (although I agree with Torie that their failure to do so will inevitably backfire).
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2011, 08:18:08 AM »

Krazen's map is nice, but OH-11 falling below 50% black VAP is the thing that I think tanks it. Plus it unleashes 2 or 3 Dem points into Pubbie CD's, and that would be just wrong. Smiley

I intentionally spaced out the pink and gold districts (Renacci and Latuorette) to have room for a channel, to take the Fudge district down to Akron, the Ryan district picking up more Democrats (either Massilliion or something in the Mahoning Valley), and the Toledo and Renacci districts picking up the shed population within Cuyahoga.

I don't like what it does to Renacci though, who has nicely picked up some of Richland and Morrow Counties and doesn't want to drop them.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2011, 08:34:37 AM by brittain33 »

Does anyone else feel it's far more likely that the Republicans will pack and crack Dems as much as possible--as shown in the maps--than that they will send Republican districts reaching very far afield to pick up safe counties?

The first part of the equation makes more sense to me than others. Republicans don't care what happens to Dems, but as in Wisconsin where a breakup of Milwaukee suburbs to drown Eau Claire in a sea of Republican precincts seems unlikely, so too is rural western and central Ohio legislators agreeing to splintering their districts in order to help out Republican reps in distant parts of the state. Krazen's map may effectively pack Dems, but no Republican wants to represent either the red or yellow districts in northern Ohio. Nor does Delaware County want a rep from Canton. Just my two cents.  
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2011, 09:23:54 AM by krazen1211 »

Does anyone else feel it's far more likely that the Republicans will pack and crack Dems as much as possible--as shown in the maps--than that they will send Republican districts reaching very far afield to pick up safe counties?

The first part of the equation makes more sense to me than others. Republicans don't care what happens to Dems, but as in Wisconsin where a breakup of Milwaukee suburbs to drown Eau Claire in a sea of Republican precincts seems unlikely, so too is rural western and central Ohio legislators agreeing to splintering their districts in order to help out Republican reps in distant parts of the state. Krazen's map may effectively pack Dems, but no Republican wants to represent either the red or yellow districts in northern Ohio. Nor does Delaware County want a rep from Canton. Just my two cents.  

Anything is possible. But if you don't split the Cuyahoga suburban areas, you're basically putting Renacci in Kucinich's district rather than the other way around in what an even or so PVI district. That's also the biggest problem with the Fudge channel method.

Massachusetts Dems, incidentally, seem to have done the same thing. Look at how many districts enter the Boston Metro and the 1st/2nd split.

On another note, Columbus is exactly a CD in population and is 32% McCain.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2011, 09:36:43 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2011, 09:40:04 AM by brittain33 »

Massachusetts Dems, incidentally, seem to have done the same thing. Look at how many districts enter the Boston Metro and the 1st/2nd split.

It's true that the Massachusetts congressional map links far-flung areas, and it's not right, but it happened for different reasons (protecting incumbents as seats were lost) and has a different impact. If we had a more closely-divided legislature, and Dems from Bristol County and the Cape and Islands held the balance in the legislature, they'd never accede to the current map. Instead, we'd have Rep. Marc Montigny.

I hear what you're saying about the need to shore up Republicans once the Dems in the northeast are packed. But I think resistance from the Republican regions needed to shore them up is going to prevent the maximal pack.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2011, 09:53:10 AM »

I've had some intel that suggests that something like Torie's plan is exactly what the GOP is looking at. There must be a 50% black-VAP CD, and it will link Cleveland to Akron, since it can't be created in Cuyahoga alone. The map will also have a Toledo to Cleveland CD and one other Dem CD based in Youngstown. Columbus will be split into wedges.

The only major difference is that they probably won't wrap LaTourette's district. They assume that he can handle an R+0 district, and there is more concern to boost Renacci to hold off Sutton.

Fascinating Muon2. So LaTourette's CD will just hug the PA border and slip past Youngstown on the east, and move down the Ohio River?  That is the only alternative. The final black VAP number kept me in a lot of suspense, and it was really pointless to start drawing until we knew, given the legalities. Actually I guess we still don't know it, except that it is below 50% with Krazen's much more aesthetic (but less efficient) plan, and that Akron is needed.  So you got your way! Smiley

I wonder if the Pubbies will draw OH-09 the way I drew it, to maximize efficiency. Tongue If they do, I don't think they need to worry about Sutton, no matter how you draw LaTourette's CD. His Dems have been pretty well scooped up, and some more will be I am quite sure when the final census numbers come in.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »

Even if the Massachusetts Dems were to draw as Republican a district as possible, it still wouldn't guarantee electing a Republican. The best you could hope for is about an Obama +6 or so district in southeastern Mass. There's less of an excuse when a compact Columbus district would easily elect a Democrat.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2011, 10:00:49 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2011, 10:23:52 AM by Torie »

Yes, trying to have Pubbie incumbents keep familiar (and friendly) territory is important if it does not hurt efficiency too much, and I do worry about that all the time, and will in OH. But so far all I was doing was eviscerating Dem CD's. How to handle the Pubbie zone comes next. But if my wrap idea for LaTourette is dead, I would like to know that now, before I proceed.

And this map has to be super efficient, particularly if there is to be no Dem CD in Columbus. The Dem pack for its three CD's needs to be pushed, and pushed hard. We cannot be detained by annoying little details such as erosity, respecting county or municipal lines, and so forth. We just need to be driven by the location of the Dems, and nothing much else. This is a redux of what I did to the Philly metro area - another brutal Gerry.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2011, 10:06:20 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2011, 10:18:25 AM by Torie »

Anything is possible. But if you don't split the Cuyahoga suburban areas, you're basically putting Renacci in Kucinich's district rather than the other way around in what an even or so PVI district. That's also the biggest problem with the Fudge channel method.

On another note, Columbus is exactly a CD in population and is 32% McCain.

My pink CD picking up the most Pubbie friendly areas of Cuyahoga needs another 225,000 people or so as I recall. It should have a reasonable GOP PVI I would think, particularly after most of the rest of the Dem precincts in Cleveland, and maybe along the snake (such as Berea), are added to CD-09 per the final census numbers. We shall see. Maybe it does need Medina added.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2011, 11:45:22 AM »

Yes, trying to have Pubbie incumbents keep familiar (and friendly) territory is important if it does not hurt efficiency too much, and I do worry about that all the time, and will in OH. But so far all I was doing was eviscerating Dem CD's. How to handle the Pubbie zone comes next. But if my wrap idea for LaTourette is dead, I would like to know that now, before I proceed.

And this map has to be super efficient, particularly if there is to be no Dem CD in Columbus. The Dem pack for its three CD's needs to be pushed, and pushed hard. We cannot be detained by annoying little details such as erosity, respecting county or municipal lines, and so forth. We just need to be driven by the location of the Dems, and nothing much else. This is a redux of what I did to the Philly metro area - another brutal Gerry.

Torie, I think Brittain33 is right.  I know that the map is meant to be as efficient a gerrymander as possible, but I doubt that's the top concern of Ohio Republicans (community/local interests and individual political calculations can easily become higher priorities).  It seems like in this map, and even your PA map go with the assumption that the only priority for state Republicans will be passing the most effective gerrymander possible (although this is certainly one of the top priorities, I doubt it will be as dominant a priority as your maps would require).     
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2011, 12:32:49 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2011, 12:48:28 PM by Torie »

Well, we had a little problem here. I had both OH-13 and OH-14 in yellow, so what I used to call my old OH-13 had twice the number of folks that it should, or close to it. Meanwhile, the software took a bunch of unassigned area in OH-06 and put the population into the Youngstown CD, so its population was overstated by a mere 176,000 people. I hate when that happens!

So needless to say, the wrap is dead. Well actually maybe not, it will just be going the other way, into the OH-14 NE corner CD zone! Here is the problem. I would like OH-13 (my new number for the Youngstown CD), to pick off the Dem precincts in Canton, rather than just suck up a bunch of marginal territory from OH-14 so that the populations equalize. That would be such a waste. So we need to figure out what a Pubbie CD can do to pick up some territory from OH-14, either helping, or at least not hurting, OH-14's partisan numbers.

And which CD gets the Pubbie (well marginal more than Pubbie but whatever) pocket in Cuyahoga that is entered by a single strong or precincts through Cleveland, hugging the Lakewood line at its terminus? Only one can.  Maybe as Krazen did, it needs to be appended to OH-05. In the meantime, OH-16 is a bit over in population, but a mere factor of 2.  LOL.

At this point, I really need detailed partisan data. It is easy enough to just pick off precincts with blacks or Hispanics in them, but we have already done that. We now need to figure out where the Dem and Pubbie whites live, and for that we will need precinct data. It is going to be a bear of a job, because it needs to be done county by county, and some counties have good data in spreadsheet form (like Cuyahoga, plus I found that wonderful newspaper map of the Obama precinct percentages with 10% ranges, so one just needed as an initial matter to follow the blue, and make sure that the darker blues were put into either OH-09 or OH-11, which saved a ton of time), others you need to see a separate freaking page for each precinct, and for others there is no data at all. And in some places the precinct maps (if you can find them), don't match the census blocks used in the Bradlee software very well. It's a nightmare!

If anyone who knows Ohio voting behavior for this white zone that needs to be chopped up, could give me some direction, that would be great. Thanks.

Boy I really feel embarrassed. Tongue

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2011, 12:39:05 PM »

Fascinating Muon2. So LaTourette's CD will just hug the PA border and slip past Youngstown on the east, and move down the Ohio River?  That is the only alternative. The final black VAP number kept me in a lot of suspense, and it was really pointless to start drawing until we knew, given the legalities. Actually I guess we still don't know it, except that it is below 50% with Krazen's much more aesthetic (but less efficient) plan, and that Akron is needed.  So you got your way! Smiley

I wonder if the Pubbies will draw OH-09 the way I drew it, to maximize efficiency. Tongue If they do, I don't think they need to worry about Sutton, no matter how you draw LaTourette's CD. His Dems have been pretty well scooped up, and some more will be I am quite sure when the final census numbers come in.

The efficiency argument is interesting. By moving Akron precincts from Dem district 13 to Dem district 11, you free up space in Dem district 13, but if you look at it, the Dem areas around Canton can be very easily cracked by central Ohio districts that are already 54+% McCain.

That blue district (Tiberi's 12th) is already 55% McCain. Making it 57% McCain is probably unneeded.

Renacci is the only incumbent next to your pick Cuyahoga district, and he'd be getting all new territory while some other guy has an R+12 district. The distribution of pubbies is just as important as the number; other than Latuorette (who can't be helped much) and Boehner (who gets what he wants) each other guy should have his fair share. I don't see that in your pink district.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #141 on: March 14, 2011, 12:42:41 PM »

It's true that the Massachusetts congressional map links far-flung areas, and it's not right, but it happened for different reasons (protecting incumbents as seats were lost) and has a different impact. If we had a more closely-divided legislature, and Dems from Bristol County and the Cape and Islands held the balance in the legislature, they'd never accede to the current map. Instead, we'd have Rep. Marc Montigny.

I hear what you're saying about the need to shore up Republicans once the Dems in the northeast are packed. But I think resistance from the Republican regions needed to shore them up is going to prevent the maximal pack.

The main difference here is that Ohio Republicans have the speaker of the house. Boehner can probably get through whatever maps he wants.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2011, 12:55:25 PM »

The main difference here is that Ohio Republicans have the speaker of the house. Boehner can probably get through whatever maps he wants.

That is a factor in favor of a national strategy, true.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: March 14, 2011, 01:01:46 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2011, 01:18:57 PM by Torie »

I think maybe OH-10 is the candidate to punch through through the Akron wrap, to pick up folks from OH-14 perhaps. It is going to lose a ton of folks in its southern sector to get OH-06 up to its required population. We may be headed towards a triple chop of Stark County, in tandem with the triple chop of Summit. Tongue  Or perhaps OH-06 can do it. It is one or the other, and will depend on the partisan numbers. I am glad the Pubbie incumbent in OH-16 does not live in Stark, so I don't have to worry about putting him in some other CD per the Stark slice and dice.

And is the Columbus chop going to be a triple chop or a quad chop?  That is another question.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2011, 01:59:51 PM »

I think maybe OH-10 is the candidate to punch through through the Akron wrap, to pick up folks from OH-14 perhaps. It is going to lose a ton of folks in its southern sector to get OH-06 up to its required population. We may be headed towards a triple chop of Stark County, in tandem with the triple chop of Summit. Tongue  Or perhaps OH-06 can do it. It is one or the other, and will depend on the partisan numbers. I am glad the Pubbie incumbent in OH-16 does not live in Stark, so I don't have to worry about putting him in some other CD per the Stark slice and dice.

And is the Columbus chop going to be a triple chop or a quad chop?  That is another question.

Stark is a McCain County once you dig out Canton City into OH-13.

Why don't you redraw your map with the updated 2010 census figures in DRA? That should eliminate some guesswork.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »

Stark is a McCain County once you dig out Canton City into OH-13.

Why don't you redraw your map with the updated 2010 census figures in DRA? That should eliminate some guesswork.

What is DRA?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2011, 02:32:36 PM »

Dave's redistricting app?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2011, 02:37:18 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2011, 02:39:34 PM by Torie »

I just figured that out now that I see that Ohio has the census numbers now. Smiley Which means I have to redraw the whole fcking map. Boo!  Sad

I wonder if you use the block group option, or the 2010 precincts option, to get the census data. I guess I will find out by trial and error.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2011, 02:38:59 PM »

Just checking; don't want to read through the entire thread. You're going for 13-3 here?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »

I just figured that out now that I see thatOhio has the census numbers now. Smiley Which means I have to redraw the whole fcking map. Boo!  Sad

I wonder if you use the block group option, or the 2010 precincts option, to get the census data. I guess I will find out by trial and error.
2010 precincts. Maybe block groups for 2010 are also available for some states, but I think they'll be added later.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies