US House Redistricting: Ohio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:54:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Ohio
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 37
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Ohio  (Read 136358 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: August 16, 2011, 07:05:51 PM »

Yikes! After all that LaTourette is still only 51.5% McCain! I think this shows the Republicans ought to draw OH-10 and OH-11 and then just put OH-14 however it fits without absorbing any really Democratic areas around the edges. Just give him R+3 to R+4 and be done with it.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #426 on: August 16, 2011, 07:20:53 PM »

Yikes! After all that LaTourette is still only 51.5% McCain! I think this shows the Republicans ought to draw OH-10 and OH-11 and then just put OH-14 however it fits without absorbing any really Democratic areas around the edges. Just give him R+3 to R+4 and be done with it.

After fiddling with the lines a bit more, I've improved it by trading Kent and Ravenna to Ryan's district in exchange for some more marginal territory.

OH-14 (Bronze): 52.6% McCain
(Former) OH-17 (Purple): 62.6% Obama
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #427 on: August 16, 2011, 09:32:18 PM »

I tried drawing a northeast Ohio map without the Cleveland to Akron seat and just one in Cleveland itself, while making the three margin seats Republican and making it look fairly clean.

Yellow: Obama 83.5-McCain 15.7, 47.0% VAP Black, D+30
Bronze: Obama 49.5-McCain 48.9, R+3.7
Navy: Obama 65.7-McCain 32.5, D+12
Green: Obama 50.2-McCain 48.5, R+3.1
Maroon: McCain 50.1-Obama 47.9, R+5

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #428 on: August 16, 2011, 09:50:43 PM »

What is the black VAP percentage in OH-11 TJ?  I don't think the Pubbies are willing to risk litigation by virtue of it being less than 50%. 
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #429 on: August 16, 2011, 10:08:26 PM »

47.0%VAP (49.6% overall if that matters any) and I'm not sure they'd do this, especially without consulting the local NAACP and Marcia Fudge. I do think Fudge would have no problems in a primary though, the white population is split up too much between east and west for it to matter.

I've mainly been operating under the assumption of a Cleveland-to-Akron OH-11, but wanted to see what it would look like if they don't draw it. Do you think a court would mandate it? It doesn't change the results much just makes it uglier. The local GOP will need to talk to Fudge and George Forbes (the local NAACP leader) first in any event. Keeping them happy is essential. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #430 on: August 16, 2011, 10:13:53 PM »

47.0%VAP (49.6% overall if that matters any) and I'm not sure they'd do this, especially without consulting the local NAACP and Marcia Fudge. I do think Fudge would have no problems in a primary though, the white population is split up too much between east and west for it to matter.

I've mainly been operating under the assumption of a Cleveland-to-Akron OH-11, but wanted to see what it would look like if they don't draw it. Do you think a court would mandate it? It doesn't change the results much just makes it uglier. The local GOP will need to talk to Fudge and George Forbes (the local NAACP leader) first in any event. Keeping them happy is essential. Smiley

If I had to guess, I would say that the odds are about 50-50 that a lower court might toss a map that did not hit the 50% figure. If it got to SCOTUS, and SCOTUS might well deny cert, the odds are about 1 in 3 that such a map would be tossed. The odds are better before SCOTUS that dropping below 50% might be upheld because SCOTUS is making noises that they are getting tired of the VRA and aggressive interpretations of it.

But we won't know, because the Pubbies are not going there. It is just too risky, without much political gain.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #431 on: August 16, 2011, 10:21:04 PM »

TJ, does anyone in Akron actually WANT to be in a Cleveland district?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #432 on: August 17, 2011, 11:19:19 AM »

TJ, does anyone in Akron actually WANT to be in a Cleveland district?

I highly doubt it.

The reason why it would be drawn would be because the Cleveland African American community might want part of Akron to be in their district. Cleveland and Akron aren't really the same COI, but then again Akron and Youngstown aren't either. I mainly just wanted to see what it would look like without the Cleveland-to-Akron one since I've drawn like ten maps with it already.

Whether it's drawn or not, assuming the GOP doesn't tick off anyone enough to sue, really doesn't change the results much, though. Of course, if OH-11 has to be eggregiously gerrymandered to meet 50% VAP black, then I am assuming we can carve up municipalities into mincemeat in the process while I sort of tried to avoid that on the clean map. At the end of the day, it's a wash. The only reason not to make OH-10 in the R+2 to R+3 range is if R+5 isn't safe enough for the Renacci/Gibbs showdown seat or if the Ohio GOP is really deadset on putting as much of Medina County as possible in that seat.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #433 on: August 17, 2011, 11:29:44 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2011, 12:08:14 PM by Torie »

You can get OH-10 up to about 2% GOP PVI, or a bit more, if you abandon the Kuch must win his primary gig, and thin out the OH-11 Akron prong, and suck up more Dem precincts in east Cleveland instead.

Well, actually, that revision gets OH-10 up to 1.1% GOP PVI, assuming that you want to respect municipal boundaries, and keep the CD looking pretty. Down and dirty and ugly might get it up to a 2% GOP PVI. And as OH-10 goes up in GOP PVI, OH-16 will go down, and down by a bit more, since the map becomes a bit less efficient, but it was at 7% GOP PVI before.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #434 on: August 17, 2011, 12:13:06 PM »

Does anyone think "Kucinich wins the primary, loses the general" is a bit too much to build into a map?

It reminds me a bit of PA-13 in 2002, and that didn't work.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #435 on: August 17, 2011, 12:19:02 PM »

Does anyone think "Kucinich wins the primary, loses the general" is a bit too much to build into a map?

It reminds me a bit of PA-13 in 2002, and that didn't work.

Yep, which is why I don't like weakening OH-14 and OH-16 those 50 basis points. That's precisely what doomed PA-08.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #436 on: August 17, 2011, 12:32:36 PM »

If you're willing split municipalities more, you can split Lakewood and Garfield Heights, carefully selecting the right precincts. Maybe even split Bedford if necessary for a few thousand people only in the mid-60s% Obama for OH-10. The map makes this worse than it really is because part of the nasty 80%+ precinct you have to go through is in a park so you wouldn't actually need to add it to get to the other side. There are a couple precincts in Brook Park that worth grabbing by OH-11 too. On the east side, there is a decent chunk of ~60-65% Obama territory in South Euclid, Beachwood, University Heights, and Shaker Heights, (and maybe even the three Cleveland Heights Jewish ones since you only need to go through one or two 80%ish ones to get there) you can move to OH-14 without doing a lot of damage. There are a couple more up by the lake in Euclid that are salvageble too. Most of this even raises the black% so we can probably justify it if we "have to" get to 50%VAP. You can take the Akron tail down along the Cuyahoga Valley instead of through Twinsburg and if you split precincts actually could avoid almost everyone living there too. The only loss here is one precinct in Walton Hills. This may be nickel and diming it some, but if we want to go all the way it can be done. I posted a map of an OH-10 and OH-11 back on page 27 that was R+3.36, though it included Renacci. But since we're already combining Renacci and Gibbs it shouldn't matter too terribly much whether we include the majority of Medina County or not. Every precinct that seat loses can be another one in Wayne or Ashland Counties, hurting the Columbus chop seats or possibly Latta depending on what you remove from Lorain.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #437 on: August 17, 2011, 01:07:23 PM »

Well here is a compromise map that has OH-10 at GOP PVI +0.5%.  It respects municipal boundaries. Screwing around with the OH-14 and OH-11 borderland, while respecting municipal boundaries, would hurt OH-14, which can't afford to be hurt. If there is a way to do better, while respecting the boundaries, then great. But I don't think the map makers are going to make a hash of the boundaries, to pick up a point or less.  It didn't happen last time, and won't happen this time.

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #438 on: August 17, 2011, 05:33:08 PM »

What would a Kuch wins the primary and general CD look like? Any chance the GOP draws that as a vote sink?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #439 on: August 17, 2011, 05:38:57 PM »

What would a Kuch wins the primary and general CD look like? Any chance the GOP draws that as a vote sink?

That would be the black district. If Kucinich runs away from Marcia Fudge that's his problem.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #440 on: August 17, 2011, 05:58:34 PM »

That would be the black district. If Kucinich runs away from Marcia Fudge that's his problem.

I meant aside from that, obviously, since Kuch wouldn't beat her.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #441 on: August 17, 2011, 10:52:18 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2011, 02:33:34 PM by Torie »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #442 on: August 18, 2011, 10:32:28 AM »

Only problem with that map (assuming that the rumors I've heard are accurate) is that I had heard that Ohio Republicans were planning to keep the three way split, and that in the unlikely event that they didn't, they would create a new Democratic seat in Columbus (this would only be if they were worried about a lawsuit about the minority-majority district, but it sounded like they aren't too worried about this).  It didn't sound like they were really considering a four-way split at the moment.  Mind you these are rumors (even if the source is pretty credible) and it seems like there is major central Ohio dummymander potential (not that I'm complaining Tongue ), but bigger dummymanders have certainly been enacted...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #443 on: August 18, 2011, 10:43:21 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2011, 10:48:38 AM by Torie »

Lots of rumors out there, but a three way split means that all three CD's will have little or no GOP PVI, or at least one of them will be a lean Dem CD.  I mean, the map from 10 years ago was a 2.5 CD split. OH-07 sucks up about 20-25 heavily Dem precincts in the existing chop.

However, by creating a swing CD in the Cleveland area, you shove two other CD's into safe GOP territory, as they both pick up a couple of GOP PVI points- OH-06 and OH-16.  Ceding Columbus to the Dems just makes the safe GOP CD's around it even safer. It doesn't increase your GOP congressperson body count expectations. So the latest rumor about creating a Kuch friendly CD, that he may have trouble holding in the General, has some psephological logic to it.

I should note, that the current incumbent in the current OH-18, Gibbs, is thrown into the trash in this map.  Holmes county was needed to prop up OH-12. I tried to create a fair fight between him and Renasci (sp) in OH-16, or semi fair fight, but it was too "expensive" to leave Holmes in OH-16, so it was detached.  So Gibbs can run against Tiberi in his east side of Columbus and burbs based CD, or retire, or move to the Cleveland burbs to run against Kuch.  In a word, he's done in this map. He's the odd man out. It was just the way the map drew itself, to get the PVI's where they needed to be.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #444 on: August 18, 2011, 02:09:10 PM »

Lots of rumors out there, but a three way split means that all three CD's will have little or no GOP PVI, or at least one of them will be a lean Dem CD.  I mean, the map from 10 years ago was a 2.5 CD split. OH-07 sucks up about 20-25 heavily Dem precincts in the existing chop.

However, by creating a swing CD in the Cleveland area, you shove two other CD's into safe GOP territory, as they both pick up a couple of GOP PVI points- OH-06 and OH-16.  Ceding Columbus to the Dems just makes the safe GOP CD's around it even safer. It doesn't increase your GOP congressperson body count expectations. So the latest rumor about creating a Kuch friendly CD, that he may have trouble holding in the General, has some psephological logic to it.

I should note, that the current incumbent in the current OH-18, Gibbs, is thrown into the trash in this map.  Holmes county was needed to prop up OH-12. I tried to create a fair fight between him and Renasci (sp) in OH-16, or semi fair fight, but it was too "expensive" to leave Holmes in OH-16, so it was detached.  So Gibbs can run against Tiberi in his east side of Columbus and burbs based CD, or retire, or move to the Cleveland burbs to run against Kuch.  In a word, he's done in this map. He's the odd man out. It was just the way the map drew itself, to get the PVI's where they needed to be.

I suppose it is possible that Austria or Tiberi agreed to take a less friendly seat in a misguided effort to "take one for the team," or that the Republicans think Tiberi and Stivers are strong enough to get entrenched and hold the seats until the end of the decade.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #445 on: August 20, 2011, 11:25:43 AM »

If the GOP is in the mood to be fiddling around with D primaries, it's perhaps worth noting that Ryan v. Sutton has "EMILY'S LIST blasts $$$ that could go to swing districts at a safe district primary" written all over it.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #446 on: August 21, 2011, 12:52:01 AM »

If the GOP is in the mood to be fiddling around with D primaries, it's perhaps worth noting that Ryan v. Sutton has "EMILY'S LIST blasts $$$ that could go to swing districts at a safe district primary" written all over it.

I'd love to watch that! Ryan ought to win because most of the districts drawn have more of Warren/Youngstown than Akron and Sutton is pretty much a faceless Generic Democrat. It's kind of amusing they'd bother going after Ryan since he's hardly a vocal pro-lifer. Heck if they want to spend money over getting a true pro-choice Dem rather than a wishy-washy one, I'd much rather they spend it there than propping up, say Dennis Kucinich.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #447 on: August 23, 2011, 09:45:43 PM »

The Columbus Dispatch is reporting that there may be an Austria v Turner GOP primary in 2012.  That leads me to believe they are looking to eliminate OH-7.  Personally I'd rather see Schmidt forced into a primary but this raises my hopes slightly that there will only be 2 Franklin County districts at the most.  I'm still not too optimistic though.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/08/23/austria-turner-might-be-gop-primary-rivals.html
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #448 on: August 23, 2011, 10:21:20 PM »

I don't see how that would work at all. What a curve ball!  Be patient, as Sam Spade would say.  Smiley
dpmapper
« Reply #449 on: August 23, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »

Wild guess: this is being used to scare Austria into accepting more of Columbus than he currently has. 
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies