Is It Dickish To Support a Weaker Opponent?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:08:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is It Dickish To Support a Weaker Opponent?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Is It Dickish To Support a Weaker Opponent?  (Read 1807 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:05:51 AM »

To me it seems like hoping the other team will pick the retarded disabled kid to pitch, or something.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 11:08:21 AM »

No.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 11:59:30 AM »

Yes.  That's the type of childish crap that gives us such crap government.  We should be striving towards two good candidates (preferable more).  But really, it's just a game so it's more fun to root for the easier race for your team.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 12:01:07 PM »

I hate to say it but fezzy is right here.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 01:49:18 PM »

Not if you believe your candidate would be a better representative than both the stronger and weaker candidates.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 01:55:37 PM »

But really, it's just a game so it's more fun to root for the easier race for your team.

BIN-GO!
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 03:08:35 PM »

Funny I though you supported Reid cause you wanted a weak majority leader. Wink

Yeah it's kind of dickish, but I shouldn't throw bricks in my glass house. If I got a chance to switch Sahlin for a better more competent leader for the Swedish Social Democrats of course I wouldn't.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 03:20:22 PM »

Wasn't it Emperor Napoleon I that said, "If your opponent is defeating himself, don't stop him?"
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 03:37:23 PM »

No. If I desire the best candidate to win, then I should by all rights support the potential opponent who has less of a chance to win.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 08:17:11 AM »

Not if you believe your candidate would be a better representative than both the stronger and weaker candidates.

^^^^
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 09:39:26 AM »

Can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. It's akin to bluffing in poker. You've got to play politics to win.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 11:56:24 AM »

Can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. It's akin to bluffing in poker. You've got to play politics to win.

None of us are playing politics, that's the problem.  We're a bunch of dorks sitting behind a computer reading about it.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 12:27:54 PM »

And what if your candidate loses? Wouldn't you want the winner of the race to be a Mike Castle instead of a Christine O'Donnell?

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 12:31:49 PM »

And what if your candidate loses? Wouldn't you want the winner of the race to be a Mike Castle instead of a Christine O'Donnell?

Well, you look at the chances of your candidate winning and then decide whether or not it's worth it to support the weaker, worse candidate. For instance I'd have supported Murkowski over Miller in Alaska, because McAdams wasn't going to beat either and Murkowski is better than Miller, even if she would have been a stronger general election candidate.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 02:17:33 PM »

Well, you look at the chances of your candidate winning and then decide whether or not it's worth it to support the weaker, worse candidate. For instance I'd have supported Murkowski over Miller in Alaska, because McAdams wasn't going to beat either and Murkowski is better than Miller, even if she would have been a stronger general election candidate.

In what way is Murkowski better than Miller?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 02:29:20 PM »

Murkowski will be able to siphon off a lot more federal pork for Alaska. Isn't that an important issue to you? It apparently is to Lief.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 02:31:41 PM »

Murkowski will be able to siphon off a lot more federal pork for Alaska. Isn't that an important issue to you? It apparently is to Lief.

In fact it is, and that's a major reason I supported Miller over Murkowski.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »

Murkowski has voted for a lot of things (SCHIP expansion, Matthew Shepard Act, Stem Cell research) that Miller would never support.

And Miller will support pork for Alaska. He'd be an idiot not to.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 07:43:31 PM »

Again, it's like bluffing in poker. It's a gamble, for sure, but there's a strategy behind it.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 11:46:01 PM »

None of us are playing politics, that's the problem.  We're a bunch of dorks sitting behind a computer reading about it.

OK, I'm playing, and I voted yes. The public really hates the cynical games that result in weak candidates on the November ballot. For years I've read posts on this forum seeking to reform the system in one way or the other. Open primaries are one such reform, but the attitude that would try to put the weaker candidate over the top is exactly why reforms like this fail to pass.

My experience watching European elections is that the parties control the nominations to a degree that prevents this type of game. The American system has supported a more open system of nomination for almost 100 years, but I fear that it will continue to be limited as long as the parties see opportunity to game the system whenever a small measure of reform is introduced.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies