Former "troll" talk now mainstream (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:27:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Former "troll" talk now mainstream (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Former "troll" talk now mainstream  (Read 5447 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: November 08, 2004, 04:01:47 AM »

The way the pendulum swing in American poltitics appears to work is this - the Democrats raise working class people to a level of prosperity where they forget who they are and begin to vote Republican.  Then a gradual decline follows, until they are sufficiently impoverished to begin to vote Democrat again.  Repeat.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 04:34:16 AM »

The way the pendulum swing in American poltitics appears to work is this - the Democrats raise working class people to a level of prosperity where they forget who they are and begin to vote Republican.  Then a gradual decline follows, until they are sufficiently impoverished to begin to vote Democrat again.  Repeat.

there is still lots of poor people and these guys refuse to vote dem because for them, the futur will not change with or without the dem party at the power. Hence, they prefer to vote for gop because the gop values are their values. I think that if the dem party wants to become again the majority party, he must become populist: conservative on values (or rather: each state makes his will) and "left populist" on economy (in the RFK style). The results should be: poor people (black+white poors)+middle class+jew= majority

The only man who can make this for me is John Edwards.

Great, so we're still stuck with the intolerant theocracy, just with worse economics.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 01:58:33 PM »

Just a few months back when Reaganfan was first here, people called him a troll for, among other things, being wildly optimistic on GOP prospects. One of the biggest predictions made by Reaganfan was that the 2004 election was like the 1896 election... this was also on the Rasmussen website. The basic idea is that 2004 is a re-aligning election like 1896, and will usher in decades of GOP dominance like the 1896 election did (although 1904, 1908, 1912 and 1916 all saw progressive candidates returned to office).

Now the former speculation is being predicted by the nation's most respected politico, Karl Rove, as the media interviews him in his victory lap:

Rove, whom Bush called the "architect" of his political campaign, likened Tuesday's election to that of 1896, when voters picked Republican William McKinley and "realigned American politics years afterward."

``There are no permanent majorities in American politics,'' Rove said on the NBC program. ``They last for about 20 or 30 or 40, or, in the case of the Roosevelt coalition, 50 or 60 years, and then they disappear. But would I like to see the Republican Party be the dominant party for whatever time history gives it the chance to be? You bet.''

Reuters

surreal, ain't it?  You gotta admit that the GOP has reason to be giddy.  Everyone doing the talking-head circuit is congratulating them, and singing Rove's praises.  Dems included.  I like Ed Rollin's famous quote, "The goal is to win."  As in, it isn't how you play the game, it's whether you win or lose.  If you can divorce yourself from having a favorite, and just sit back and enjoy the surrealism and sport, then it becomes quite interesting.  Like a good football game between two good and evenly matched teams, but where you didn't place a bet on either side.  Just watch and enjoy.  In the end, the GOP really won this one, favoritisms aside.  And yes, they're gloating in an overly optimistic (trollish) fashion, and being helped along even by their opponents, in some cases.  Very weird, but entertaining. 

welcome back, by the way.

The goal is to win, assuming the coalition you put to gether in order to win doesn't subvert your original agenda.  I'm not sure the wealthy fully know what they're doing winning through alliance with the religious. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 05:28:41 PM »

You sound like an 11 year old, drunk, Neomarxist. Not that I've ever heard such a person, but if he existed, he would sound quite similar.

Where did you go to college? I'll make sure no one I know goes there.

Where do you think the Post-WWII middle class came from?  It was created by the Democratic Party.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies