Nate: Don't Pawn Your Lisa Murkowski Gear Just Yet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:53:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Nate: Don't Pawn Your Lisa Murkowski Gear Just Yet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Nate: Don't Pawn Your Lisa Murkowski Gear Just Yet  (Read 10258 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2010, 07:52:26 PM »

You're aware that, once elected, "non-establishment" candidates eventually do become "establishment" by become more active in the party, unless they're epic fail like Bunning. I mean, even Rand Paul has been sucking up to McConnell lately.

Maybe you'll find out eventually, if Rick Scott is elected, becomes the face of the Florida GOP, starts to pick proteges...

That's why we need strict term limits, cut pay for all elected officials and keep sessions of government to under half the year. Basically "politician" shouldn't be a job position it should be a service position strictly.

Yes, make sure elected officials never develop experience and create a bunch of part time legislators led around the nose by full time lobbyists. That a great way to give paower "back to the people". Roll Eyes
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2010, 07:58:01 PM »

California has very strict term limits for legislators. It has worked just great. The legislature has addressed California's problems with courage, creativity and reasoned intelligence, with a work product and legacy that is admired across the fruited plain.

And there you have it.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2010, 08:20:12 PM »

You're aware that, once elected, "non-establishment" candidates eventually do become "establishment" by become more active in the party, unless they're epic fail like Bunning. I mean, even Rand Paul has been sucking up to McConnell lately.

Maybe you'll find out eventually, if Rick Scott is elected, becomes the face of the Florida GOP, starts to pick proteges...

That's why we need strict term limits, cut pay for all elected officials and keep sessions of government to under half the year. Basically "politician" shouldn't be a job position it should be a service position strictly.

Yes, make sure elected officials never develop experience and create a bunch of part time legislators led around the nose by full time lobbyists. That a great way to give paower "back to the people". Roll Eyes

I think a better idea would be to force all legislatures to live in the worst part of every state (like the broken down urban blight places), and spend 3 hours a day tied up in a public place where people can throw rotten tomatoes at them.  That'll weed out the career politicians nicely Smiley.

On a more serious note, I think the biggest problem is that the simple act of being elected a legislator is enough of a status symbol for people to want the office simply for the office.  So long as people treat the office as a grand blessing there will always be those who seek it for less than noble purposes.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2010, 09:10:20 PM »

Exactly why your party will fail. I'm not to worried, you'll find out eventually.

lol, What? Nice chop job on my post.

Do you just skim for key words with long posts. Perhaps the overal intent of my post wasn't clear. I was clearly referring to those whining over the loss of Lowden, Norton and the like and if they don't want to risk a few quacks slipping through, then just run better "establishment" candidates,  as in ones that can atleast put together a coherent arguement as to why Republicans should vote for them.

Yet somehow you turn that into an opportunity to point out how my party "will fail". We are just two years removed from two successive elections cycles in which voters thrased the GOP out of office. Now after just two years of Obama, I don't see the Consitution Party arising as an alternative, instead the GOP is, by every measure (and the most important measure is where Indies are voting), arising to take advantage of the Dem's mistakes and piss poor luck. Forgive me, but I don't see the GOP failing by any measure especially compared to the epic failure that is every long term third party in the last 50 years. It will take a major crisis, like another civil war, to deplace one of the major parties.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2010, 04:24:47 PM »

From a wordsmith's standpoint, that is a nicely crafted post there North Carolina Yankee.  It was pity, cogent, eloquent, and effectively used data based argumentation. Kudos for that. Smiley

I must admit, that I do have a soft spot for young folks who really know how to write, because, sadly, it is just so rare these day.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2010, 08:14:03 PM »

Exactly why your party will fail. I'm not to worried, you'll find out eventually.
It will take a major crisis, like another civil war, to deplace one of the major parties.

Even the last one couldn't deplace one of the major parties.Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2010, 09:00:13 PM »

It will take a major crisis, like another civil war, to deplace one of the major parties.

Even the last one couldn't deplace one of the major parties.Tongue

The enshrinement of the two major parties in the political system has essentially guaranteed that neither will ever be deplaced. The day that either the Democrats or the Republicans cease to be a primary force in American politics is the day that America as we know it disappears forever.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2010, 09:55:03 AM »

Yes, because more Byrds, Bidens, Stevens, etc are what we need more of. You could set term limits high enough to fit your needs. Congressman would have 5 terms and senators could have 3 terms. If you can't get "experience" in that amount of time you probably shouldn't be there in the first place.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2010, 09:56:41 AM »

California has very strict term limits for legislators. It has worked just great. The legislature has addressed California's problems with courage, creativity and reasoned intelligence, with a work product and legacy that is admired across the fruited plain.

And there you have it.

Yes, because term limits are what's the problem with California. Not the high taxes, social services, etc.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2010, 12:27:27 PM »

And there you have it.

Yes, because term limits are what's the problem with California. Not the high taxes, social services, etc.

Term limits and Prop 13.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2010, 09:10:24 AM »

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/18/more-on-murkowskis-math/

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/17/murkowski-can-win-as-write-in/
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2010, 09:57:02 AM »

And there you have it.

Term limits and Prop 13.

Entitlements and state worker unions.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2010, 01:34:03 PM »

And there you have it.

Term limits and Prop 13.

I'll agree that the prison guard unions are vile.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2010, 10:15:45 PM »

And there you have it.

Term limits and Prop 13.

I'll agree that the prison guard unions are vile.

All public employee unions are pretty bad.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2010, 04:50:02 AM »

Looks like Murkowski has been endorsed by two prominent members of the Native American community. This should help her somewhat, especially considering one of them is the mayor of Juneau where she needs to run strong.

http://kcaw.org/modules/local_news/index.php?op=sideBlock&syndicated=true&ID=1400
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies